Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 2007 JLPT 4 kyuu Study Group

2007 JLPT 4 kyuu Study Group

The test - experiences, questions or comments

RE: 2007 JLPT 4 kyuu Study Group

Postby MushikoKr » Thu 05.31.2007 11:11 pm

Is it too late to join?? I would love to if it's ok :)

I know ひらがな/カタカナ and about 20 or so kanji...as for books, I have the みんなの日本語 1 books, Japanese for Busy People, A Guide to Remembering Japanese characters, and basic kanji book vol. 1...
Last edited by MushikoKr on Fri 06.01.2007 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MushikoKr

Postby sei » Fri 06.01.2007 10:06 am

Seems like the OP hasn't come lately. Maybe he's still sick?

So what about tomorrow? Are we starting tomorrow or not?

I'm finally free from tests at school, now i only have the exams, but i think i can arrange one hour on saturday and sunday.

We shouldn't be wasting any more time, and start as soon as possible. At least those taking the JLPT should.

Ok. so far everybody agrees that we need to work on grammar and kanji. Is that a possible topic of discussion for our first meeting?

It's fine by me. I need to improve on those.

I would like to suggest that we use Basic Kanji Book for kanji study, since it's been said to be one of the best books. We could follow it's order, and anyone that has other books would just search in theirs and we would all be studying the same kanji.

I can also get scans of some of the pages for those that don't have the book... Though i'm not sure that is proper, or should even be said in this forum. Sorry if it shouldn't. ^^'
Questions? Feel free to ask. :)
sei

Native language: Portuguese

Postby Spikeygal » Fri 06.01.2007 11:13 am

I also think we should start this weekend. If the OP is indeed ill, I'm sure they'd be ok with us helping out their workload a bit. ;) So, are we using the chat here? Do we have to book a set time to use it?

Grammar and kanji discussion seems like a good idea. If we make notes of who's covered what, we should be able to get to a similar level fairly soon, I hope.

Also, could I ask that we meet half an hour earlier (3:30(pm?)CST - 9.30 GMT+1) than mentioned before (4(pm?)CST - 10pm GMT+1)? Or would that cause too much trouble for other people? Just, at the current time, it'd be kind of touch and go whether I could attend regularly or not.

Edit: Just testing out the chat, and I'm a bit confused with it. ^^; Once I log in it comes to an almost blank screen - it has a blue frame like a chat, my username at the top, two buttons at the bottom (a plus and one of 3 people), and two options at the top. What do I do to enter a conference?
Last edited by Spikeygal on Fri 06.01.2007 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spikeygal

Postby sei » Fri 06.01.2007 2:05 pm

I'm not sure we would need to book a set time to use it. Though it'd be best to creat our own conference room for now. (Though i'm not sure we can do that, but i can test it).

It's fine by me. To meet half an hour earlier. But not sure about the rest of the people. You're asking that on a very short notice, some people might not see it now. So better ask that on the meeting tomorrow, when everyone's already gathered.

Once I log in it comes to an almost blank screen - it has a blue frame like a chat, my username at the top, two buttons at the bottom (a plus and one of 3 people), and two options at the top. What do I do to enter a conference?

Did you log in through pandion?
If so, just go on top, to the buttons and it says "Actions", go there and then, "Join conference room". And there's a list to pick from.

Since i had to open Pandion to check this, i checked if i could make a conference room, and it seems possible. So i'm sure we'd have no real problem with that.
sei

Postby LustBaka » Fri 06.01.2007 3:34 pm

Im okay with the 30 minute shift:
Just as long as it isnt pushed back any earlier. The whole grammar/kanji thing is something that I'm fine with too.

(And has anyone other than me really noticed how its just mainly 3 people trying to work things out, aside from op being ill)
LustBaka

Postby sei » Fri 06.01.2007 3:51 pm

(And has anyone other than me really noticed how its just mainly 3 people trying to work things out, aside from op being ill)

We can't really judge people on that. They can be busy.

Though they can also just be lazy and feeling like giving all the work to the other people.
sei

Postby MushikoKr » Fri 06.01.2007 4:43 pm

I'll help out in any way I can :D I must warn you that I'm pretty internet...uh...deficient...I don't know what I'm doing half the time LOL Plus I have a mac so I'm usually stuck doing things completely different than everyone else...I can also help out with the Basic Kanji scans.
MushikoKr

Postby Valatunda » Fri 06.01.2007 5:24 pm

Although I am not doing the JLPT 4 kyuu, is it all right if I join?

All the kanji I have done are written in a book I have and amount to 126. I may recognize a few more than what I have written though. The kanji I have done I should be able to recognize upon sight, but I might not be able to imagine all of them yet.

The books I have are Genki I and II along with the workbooks I and II and the answer key. I also have The Learner’s Kanji Dictionary, A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar and the Collins English-Japanese Dictionary Express Edition.

If I were to do the JLPT, I would probably do the JLPT 3 kyuu. However I would do that next year. It would be interesting to be in a study group as I do not think I have experienced being in one before. I shall also help in any way I can.
Valatunda

Native language: 英語

Postby sei » Fri 06.01.2007 5:31 pm

Bah, i get jealous everytime i hear someone has the answer key for Genki... ^^'

You seem to be pretty ahead of most people here Valatunda-san. Are you sure you shouldn't be on JLPT 3 study group?

It's your choice though. :)
sei

Postby Valatunda » Fri 06.01.2007 5:46 pm

sei wrote:
You seem to be pretty ahead of most people here Valatunda-san. Are you sure you shouldn't be on JLPT 3 study group?

No, I would feel a bit intimidated to be in the JLPT 3 kyuu study group right now. I think starting in the lowest group would be best.
Valatunda

Native language: 英語

Postby dreamfragments » Fri 06.01.2007 5:57 pm

Alright, so tomorrow I am fine with 3:30pm CST. Tomorrow will be our first chat discussion. The topic of discussion will relate to kanji and grammar, more of encouraging everybody to be somewhat on the same level (I need lots of catching up to do). We agree on the time, date, and semi-topic.

Now the question is who will like to setup the chatroom, (if that's possible?)? Or do we join a general chat? Also, if the scans from the basic kanji book are not possible, what might be an alternative?

I'm so excited!! Also, it might easier to have like some sort of mailing reminder since many of the people signed up for the chat might not go on this forum a lot.
dreamfragments

Postby sei » Fri 06.01.2007 5:58 pm

Yeah, i get it. But you'll probably be repeating a lot!

At least, since you know more than most, you can be there to correct at first, when we'll go over more basic stuff. (Suposing we have a structure and do this right) :)
sei

Postby tsp_uk » Fri 06.01.2007 6:10 pm

I can't wait as well, hopefully tomorrow will prove to be helpful. Does anyone know what happened to the OP? Hopefully he is not too sick. I want to know what time is 3pm CST in GMT time? I'm from the UK.
tsp_uk

Postby dreamfragments » Fri 06.01.2007 6:24 pm

It is a five hour difference from CST to GMT.

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/usa/central-time/

This website is really useful since it gives you the time for yourself, CST, and GMT.
3:30 in CST will be 8:30 GMT.
dreamfragments

Postby poppop » Fri 06.01.2007 9:34 pm

i'll be there, but i don't have a text book but i will hopefully borrow a book from my friend tomorrow (Japanese for busy people, or something like that).
poppop

Native language: Swedish

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test