Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - what are the on and kun readings for these kanji?

what are the on and kun readings for these kanji?

The test - experiences, questions or comments

what are the on and kun readings for these kanji?

Postby kawaiineko32 » Sun 12.02.2007 8:39 am

First I'll give a brief explanation of readings in Japanese for those who aren't familiar with them. There are two, on and kun. On reading is the Chinese derived meaning with kanji. The reason on readings exist is because most kanji in Japanese are derived from Chinese characters. The kun reading is the native Japanese reading of the kanji. The kanji can be translated into hiragana, the hiragana can be translated into romaji, and the romaji can be translated into English.

With the link I'm about to give it provides the 103 kanji for JLPT level 4. However it doesn't provide the on and kun readings for each kanji. I've been learning the readings with kanji since I started to study them and I would like to learn the on and kun readings for these since I'll be taking JLPT level 4 in December of 2008 and better safe then sorry. You can give the on and kun readings in hiragana or romaji. It doesn't matter which one to me, because I can read hiragana. So if you give them to me in hiragana I'll translate them to romaji and then to English (once I learn the translation) and if you give them to me in romaji I'll translate them to Hiragana.

http://www.jlptstudy.com/4/index.html
Last edited by kawaiineko32 on Sun 12.02.2007 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
kawaiineko32

RE: what are the on and kun readings for these kanji?

Postby clay » Sun 12.02.2007 9:45 am

or... you could just use the 4 kyuu kanji list on this website:
http://thejapanesepage.com/kanji/list.php?jlpt=4

Just click on any kanji to find the on and kun and examples for each kanji.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby NocturnalOcean » Sun 12.02.2007 11:00 am

kawaiineko32 wrote:
First I'll give a brief explanation of readings in Japanese for those who aren't familiar with them. There are two, on and kun.

Actually there is a third reading too, called Nanori. It is used almost exclusively for names.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 12.02.2007 12:23 pm

Although nanori are just a type of kun-yomi.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby chikara » Sun 12.02.2007 9:23 pm

kawaiineko32 wrote:
First I'll give a brief explanation of readings in Japanese for those who aren't familiar with them. ....

Thanks. Can you also please explain how to suck eggs. I want to teach my grandmother. :D

kawaiineko32 wrote:
With the link I'm about to give it provides the 103 kanji for JLPT level 4.
http://www.jlptstudy.com/4/index.html

That link does not go to the kanji page. This link does, JLPT Level 4 Kanji List.

In addition to the kanji link on this site that Clay-san has given you above this is another useful site for studying JLPT kanji although it only has 80 for 4級. It gives the onyomi and kunyomi in romaji.

The MLC Meguro Language Center site also has some vocab lists (adjectives and verbs) for download. There are various other downloads that may also be of help to your studies.

BTW, to put links in your posts please use the url tags, for example;

<url=http://jlptstudy.com/4/jlpt4_kanji-list.html>JLPT Level 4 Kanji List</url>

replacing the <> with [].

kawaiineko32 wrote:
..... So if you give them to me in hiragana I'll translate them to romaji and then to English (once I learn the translation) and if you give them to me in romaji I'll translate them to Hiragana.

Going from hiragana to romaji is transliteration not translation. :)

I would advise you to stick with the hiragana and not use romaji at all. There is no romaji in the JLPT 4級. Transliterate from romaji to hiragana/katakana but never the other way.

がんばって
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test