Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - JLPT level 1 thoughts?

JLPT level 1 thoughts?

The test - experiences, questions or comments

JLPT level 1 thoughts?

Postby chchan45 » Wed 12.12.2007 6:50 am

Before the examination:

1. I never received instructions that the test would take place in another site. Their "instructions" got lost in the post. I admit that the information was posted on the interent but unfortunately I did not have access to the internet so did not see it. Even if I got the information, I would have been in trouble because the map was not detailed enough and does not contain the address of the site in question.

2. There was a postal strike just before the deadline so I had to hurry to London on Friday afternoon to hand in my application. I managed it with 10 minutes to spare! Maybe I should give it a bit of leeway in the future.

The examination itself:

1. kanji/vocabulary:
I NEEDED to score high on and completely messed it up. I got at least 4 questions wrong in the vocabulary section. One of which was in my vocabulary book and I just forgot it! One of the words I have seen before and I would have learnt the other meaning as well had I bothered to look up the dictionary. I feel like kicking myself.

2. listening:
This was a disaster for me. I expected to get points from the graph questions, the news reports and the monologues. Instead, I only managed to get 1 graph question and 1 monologue with certainty. My performance in question 1 was OK but don't even start on question 2!

Interesting I retook the level 2 listening section I took a few years ago, and I got 86% right. This means my listening is up to level 2 but not quite level 1 yet. More work is needed.

3. grammar/reading:
I managed to finish with 5 minutes to spare. This is not good as I took 5 minutes to work out the reading question with the graphs. The first passage completely did my head in and I was only able to complete it after going away to do other questions first. The second passage about micro-organisms was OK but the other two medium-length passages were difficult. I would be pleased if I got 75% of the questions right.

The grammar section was OK but there are about 10 questions out of 35 which came down to 2 options. I had to guess as there was not enough time.

Conclusion:
It would be Christmas if I pass. Even if I do, the score would not be pretty.
I really need to work on my listening more. I really cannot understand why I can understand NHK news and TV programs without problems yet still have problems with the listening. Perhaps I need to try some J-drama?
Reading 李香蘭 私の半生

Please note that:
1. English is not my first language.
2. I am not Japanese. I am prone to making mistakes so please point them out if you see any.
chchan45

RE: JLPT level 1 thoughts?

Postby Wakannai » Wed 12.12.2007 8:24 am

tv game shows dude. They don't enunciate clearly, there is a lot of emotional stress, they tend to talk real fast sometimes, and the volume changes dramatically. If you can understand that, you can understand anything.

The subtitles can help sometimes too :)
Last edited by Wakannai on Wed 12.12.2007 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wakannai

RE: JLPT level 1 thoughts?

Postby chchan45 » Thu 01.03.2008 8:17 am

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I will see if I can get hold of some of them on the internet. Wish you a happy new year.
Reading 李香蘭 私の半生

Please note that:
1. English is not my first language.
2. I am not Japanese. I am prone to making mistakes so please point them out if you see any.
chchan45

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test