Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Which Textbook to use?!

Which Textbook to use?!

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

RE: Which Textbook to use?!

Postby Schattenjedi » Thu 08.18.2005 12:11 pm

Just to comment on the price, Genki II costed me about €40 in one of the local bookstores. I was rather pleased with the price considering they had to order it and have it shipped from Japan. I imagine Genki I costs about the same.
Schattenjedi

Postby Schattenjedi » Thu 08.18.2005 12:25 pm

The EURO symbol doesn't display. It costed 40 euros.
Schattenjedi

Postby Kojiki » Thu 08.18.2005 12:45 pm

Woow, i didn't realize this would be going for quite as long as it has been XD!

I picked upt he JFBP books a while ago and I must say that they've been -quite- helpful. The advantage that I have is my friendship a native speaker and a self taught speaker who have both been aiding me in my practice without really thinking about it (making conversation as we wait to party and such in FFXI).

But keep up with the insight guys as I'm always up for trying new things in this whole adventure.
Purveyor of the classics:

The Tale of Genji (currently)
The Kojiki (next in line)
The Houshin Engi (if I can find an English or Modern Japanese translation)
Kojiki

Postby toni » Fri 08.19.2005 9:07 am

Only 40 euros?! Now that sounds more affordable! But I have to check what the price is here because there is a difference and Finland isn't exactly one of the cheapest countries in the world...more like the opposite. :-/ Still, it's amazing how expensive it is in internet shops like Amazon.com.
toni

Postby delilah » Fri 08.19.2005 2:29 pm

Has anyone usek Yookoso! This is the text used at my university and I was wondering what people thought of this book. I didn't see any reviews on amazon.com
delilah

Postby MenomaMinx » Fri 08.19.2005 10:52 pm

Yookoso! has a bad reputation {especially the first book in the series}, which from what I can remember revolves around sparse information. Amazingly enough, one of its shoot off series has a good reputation. Unfortunately, I can remember the name of the offshoot series.

Let me get back to you on this one. Amazon does have reviews, but they're not listed under every version of the book {there are several additions involved}.
Click below daily or a bunch of starving people will come to your house to eat you!(Either way, problem solved :-)
http://www.quickdonations.com/ http://www.donationjunction.com
MenomaMinx

Yookoso! has a bad reputation {especially the first book in the series}, which from what I can remember revolves around sparse information. Amazingly enough, one of its shoot off series has a good reputation. Unfortunately, I can remember the name of the offshoot series.

Let me get back to you on this one. Amazon does have reviews, but they're not listed under every version of the book {there are several additions involved}.
Click below daily or a bunch of starving people will come to your house to eat you!(Either way, problem solved :-)
MenomaMinx

MenomaMinx

Postby lomagu » Tue 08.30.2005 8:54 am

wow, does it really? That's what my university used. No wonder I'm so messed up...:o:p:D
The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.☆-D.Adams
lomagu

Postby hyperconjugated » Tue 08.30.2005 8:55 am

Any book suggestions about keigo?
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby delilah » Fri 09.02.2005 6:12 am

in regard to Yookoso, I guess it's how your proffessor uses it. As of right now, we don't use it too much, but then again... I just finished my first week :) fun fun
delilah

Postby Neno » Fri 09.02.2005 9:17 pm

Japanese for Busy People I think works best when you have a teacher teaching you with it, that's what we used for my college Japanese course. The videos that went along with it were fairly entertaining. If you need a good workbook "A Guide to Writing Kanji and Kana" by Wolfgang Hadamitzky and Mark Spahn (who also wrote a pretty thorough Kanji dictionary) is really great, it has all the steps to writing characters marked by numbers and plenty of space to practice. When you get more comfortable with the language you should also get [urlhttp://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0804816476/qid=1125710204/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-4246624-6393612?v=glance&s=books][/url] which integrates kanji gradually in its readings.
“The future you have, tomorrow, won’t be the same future you had, yesterday.”
Neno

Postby tsp_uk » Mon 09.05.2005 12:02 pm

Hi some you have recommended "Japanese for everyone", I am a total beginnger in learning Japanese. Yesterday I bought "Let's Learn Hiragana" from amazon, still waiting for it to be delivered. Is "Japanese for everyone" a bit difficult for a total beginner who is still learning a e i o u? Japanese for Busy people, and the Genki series are a bit expensive if I am learning Japanese as a hobby. But if Japanese for everyone, is good for a beginner I might buy it. What do you guys think?
tsp_uk

Postby Christian_ » Mon 09.05.2005 12:32 pm

I looked at that book and it requires you know hiragana and katakana from the start, so I would learn the kana first then if you want get the book, me personally I have considered investing in buying genki but for now I study with a guide to reading and writing japanese, japanese grammer and read japanese today along with this site.
Goals:
1) Have decent proficiency in Japanese, enough to get around/talk/read/write.
2) Visit Japan for a week or so one summer.
Christian_

Postby tsp_uk » Mon 09.05.2005 1:04 pm

Would you have any recommendations just for learning Kana?

Two books which I have seen people like on this forum are:

Remembering the Kana
A Guide to learning Hiragana and Katakana.
Colloquial Japanese

I don't think I would need a Kanji book as I am Chinese lol
tsp_uk

PreviousNext

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips