Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Opinions on the Genki Series?

Opinions on the Genki Series?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Opinions on the Genki Series?

Postby Cherie061403 » Sun 09.04.2005 1:29 pm

I've read a lot about other books for learning Japanese, but haven't heard to much on Genki.
I just purchased Genki and the workbook. I'll soon purchase the listening portion.

I've started chapter one and I've learned so much really quickly. I've been studying from this site which is awesome... but that book in so few pages seemed to make a lot of things make sense.

Also I'm learning with Megumi-sensei who posts on this site occasionally. He's GREAT!

Thanks in advance! ^_^
Last edited by Cherie061403 on Sun 09.04.2005 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cherie061403

RE: Opinions on the Genki Series?

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 09.04.2005 6:59 pm

I rather like the Genki series, but was disappointed that they only had two books. They were written by one of my teachers at Kansai Gaidai, so I'm a little biased, but I think they're one of the best Japanese textbooks I've read.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Inu Yasha » Sun 09.04.2005 10:37 pm

sumimasen,
I'm new to japanese language but need more information, can I ask your guys?
What is Genki and where can I find this information?
Inu Yasha

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 09.04.2005 11:22 pm

I *believe* you can purchase the Genki series in the japanesepage store.

This computer is insane and will crash if I open more than one window so I can't check for you now. :/

They have two books, Genki I and Genki II, and I consider it to be a very good book for getting a good foundation in Japanese.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Diggity » Tue 09.06.2005 2:03 am

I have the Genki 1 book and was able to get through the 1st 5 chapters in about 3 months on my own. The lessons are easy to understand and if you actually try to work on the exercises with the audio cd it makes it easy to learn. I listen to the vocab cd on my way back and forth from work 10 min each way for reinforcement. I love the book and it makes it much easier to keep me interested in continuing my studies.
Diggity

Postby Cherie061403 » Tue 09.06.2005 3:29 pm

Within Chapter one there was a point where I said to myself "awww I have to write all that..." and I knew that this book was right for me. It's actually challenging me. And I happily did that exercise which helped me remember a few Kana I had trouble with... not anymore! ^_^
Cherie061403

Postby MenomaMinx » Thu 09.08.2005 12:15 pm

from what I wrote in another topic:

"
Genki is very good, and as one of the most pleasant sounding voice acting crews for their teacher CDs {I've never heard the student one, but I assume they're just the abridged teacher's version}. The problem with this series is that the teachers manual is required to get the answer key -- which is very necessary for a self-taught learner. The teachers manual is also quite useful an understanding what the lesson is about, and in my opinion some of its information should've been included in the original textbooks. Also, the CDs are required and there are two different versions -- student and teacher edition . Shop around for the CDs, because some places overcharging by over $100 over the manufacturers retail for the teachers edition. These are squarely aimed at students in classroom settings, and some people may be alienated by this.
"

As I said on that topic, I think Japanese for everyone is the better textbook for everyday usefulness,but Genki is definitely among the top choices for textbooks :-)
Click below daily or a bunch of starving people will come to your house to eat you!(Either way, problem solved :-)
http://www.quickdonations.com/ http://www.donationjunction.com
MenomaMinx

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips