Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - New Board Idea

New Board Idea

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

New Board Idea

Postby raevin » Sat 09.03.2005 7:09 pm

What do people think of an "Off Topic"-like board? I mean, the "General Discussion" is misleading (it sounds like it's for the same purpose, but the description of it says it's for anything else related to Japan(ese)).
raevin

Native language: English

RE: New Board Idea

Postby Spaztick » Mon 09.05.2005 1:01 am

I've thought about it, but I think (and maybe the rest of the mods do too) that an Off-topic board would quickly degrade into something horrid that we wouldn't want on this site. Trust me, I've visted a lot of forums, and now that I think about it this is one of the few forums I've visted that I haven't gotten banned from. :D All off-topic boards are full of garbage, so I see either mods going crazy and making the board extremely strict (where people wouldn't post anyway after that) or a sick board with lots of flaming and trolling.
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby raevin » Mon 09.05.2005 8:26 pm

Spaztick wrote:
I've thought about it, but I think (and maybe the rest of the mods do too) that an Off-topic board would quickly degrade into something horrid that we wouldn't want on this site. Trust me, I've visted a lot of forums, and now that I think about it this is one of the few forums I've visted that I haven't gotten banned from. :D All off-topic boards are full of garbage, so I see either mods going crazy and making the board extremely strict (where people wouldn't post anyway after that) or a sick board with lots of flaming and trolling.

I do agree, but personally, I think that the "General Discussion" board will soon become overran w/ off-topic talks, because the name is mis-leading.

Do you think you could possibly change the name of the board to something like "Misc. Japanese Discussion" or something? I know it's long and such, but just an idea.
raevin

Native language: English

Postby Gakusha » Mon 09.05.2005 9:51 pm

raevin wrote:
[Do you think you could possibly change the name of the board to something like "Misc. Japanese Discussion" or something? I know it's long and such, but just an idea.

I don't think that's a long name at all. There are boards that have names like "Problems, Errors, Comments (good or bad) about TheJapanesePage.com," which is much longer than something like "General Discussion about Japan or Japanese."

And also, I agree with Spaztick, off topic boards get so overrun with garbage and personal things that it would tremendously do harm to this forum, because all the other boards would lose patrons and then off topic posts would even start pouring into the other forums because people get so used to posting them, and then they'll find out they posted it in the wrong section and whatnot. I think the forums as they are are just fine, except the name of "General Discussion" could be more specific so it does not turn into a rat race of off topic posts.
赤い猿の学者
Gakusha

Postby Daichi » Tue 09.06.2005 5:32 am

Generally speaking, this is a topical website, so an off-topic board is not necessary, IMO.
Daichi

Return to Problems