Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - A monkey as a pet =)

A monkey as a pet =)

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

A monkey as a pet =)

Postby Dana Craig » Tue 06.19.2007 2:59 am

minnasan konnichiha!

hey everyone, i love pets but so far, i've had:
1. two love birds *Died*
2. a dog *became vicious and we had to sell it* i still don't know why it became that way. i miss it so much it's name was Max.
3. i WANTED a little kitten but my parents wouldn't let me have one. i often played with my friend's cus she had one.
4. two rabbits *Also died!*
and listen to this: my dream is to get a monkey as a pet! as eccentric as i sound, i think monkeys are cute for some reason, they're just like babies, you can teach'em lots of things and i think they're good with children.

right now i'm 15 years old and still living with my parents, but if i'm to move out and get a monkey, what do all of you think a good name for a monkey a should be? any ideas. and tell me what do you think of getting a monkey as a pet :D
Dana Craig

RE: A monkey as a pet =)

Postby Kashin » Tue 06.19.2007 4:57 am

Well, once a mod gets here he can move this thread to the off-topic discussion! ;)

You used to be able to get a little monkey as a pet, but the animal rights "people" got upset and made it illegal.
What good is a farmer who tills the soil, but forgets the seed?

~落ち葉は風を恨まない~
Kashin

Postby aKuMu » Tue 06.19.2007 5:05 am

Can you just go out and buy an Monkey? I doubt it..
And btw Animals are no Toys and theres more to it than just "oh its so cute" Why did the other pets die?
aKuMu

Native language: German

Postby Teh_Freak » Tue 06.19.2007 6:27 am

A monkey 'eh?
I hope you know what you're getting into, many species are illegal because they're endangered (and no less than a zoo/breeder would be allowed to have them) and thus can't be imported into the US. I'd imagine owning a monkey as a pet would be... interesting to say the least, an animal smarter than a dog/cat would definately make things different, but I'd never get one for the sake of keeping them from dying out.
リモコンがどこに置きましたか?
Teh_Freak

Postby Infidel » Tue 06.19.2007 7:25 am

actually, having an animal become a preferred pet goes a long way towards getting that animal off the endangered list. Look at every domesticated plant and animal. So long as society endures, so will those plants and animals. It's wild animals that have endangerment issues, not domesticated ones.

You want to keep an animal from dying out, get everyone you know to get one as a pet. If it can be sold it will be farmed, if it can't be sold, it's road kill.
Last edited by Infidel on Tue 06.19.2007 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 06.19.2007 7:33 am

You're to pet ownership what Elizabeth Taylor is to matrimony.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby richvh » Tue 06.19.2007 8:27 am

I wouldn't say that; Ms. Taylor is a serial divorcee, not a serial widow. (The only one of her husbands that I can recall having died is Richard Burton, and I don't think they were married at the time.)
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Infidel » Tue 06.19.2007 9:00 am

Mike Cash wrote:
You're to pet ownership what Elizabeth Taylor is to matrimony.

And while we are discussing how to make society a better place by saving the animals, lets also think about the poor and homeless. When your pet dies, instead of sticking it in a hole in the ground and feeding the grass, how about having it prepared into some chili and feed the needy?

Here's a song for all the little children. All the little children of the world...
Last edited by Infidel on Tue 06.19.2007 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Kashin » Tue 06.19.2007 12:16 pm

Just get ready for much flung poo. (Am I talking about a pet monkey or marriage to Elizabeth Taylor??? :p)
What good is a farmer who tills the soil, but forgets the seed?

~落ち葉は風を恨まない~
Kashin

Postby Kagemaru » Tue 06.19.2007 12:28 pm

As long as your monkey smokes cigars and plays a mean hand of poker, sounds ok to me...
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby tanuki » Tue 06.19.2007 1:17 pm

OP: You *do* know that the monkey is also going to die someday, right?
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby keatonatron » Tue 06.19.2007 7:27 pm

And...

Dana Craig wrote:
they're just like babies

...Well, babies that never grow up. And babies are a lot harder to take care of than pets. Are you ready to become a mother? (and I think you're thinking of chimpanzees. Monkeys don't really learn anything, they just make messes.)
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby zengargoyle » Tue 06.19.2007 8:11 pm

ZOMG! monkeys are just like babies... and they're good with children... you're deluded.

please, try to keep some domesticated pets alive for their natural lifespan before you go for the non-domesticated species... start with rats and hamsters and guinea pigs, maybe a lizard. a monkey would end up eating your face while you sleep.
zengargoyle

Postby SirFirestorm » Tue 06.19.2007 10:03 pm

Elmira from tiny toons?
SirFirestorm

Postby Seapony » Tue 06.19.2007 11:50 pm

Dana Craig wrote:
minnasan konnichiha!

hey everyone, i love pets but so far, i've had:
1. two love birds *Died*
2. a dog *became vicious and we had to sell it* i still don't know why it became that way. i miss it so much it's name was Max.
3. i WANTED a little kitten but my parents wouldn't let me have one. i often played with my friend's cus she had one.
4. two rabbits *Also died!*
and listen to this: my dream is to get a monkey as a pet! as eccentric as i sound, i think monkeys are cute for some reason, they're just like babies, you can teach'em lots of things and i think they're good with children.

right now i'm 15 years old and still living with my parents, but if i'm to move out and get a monkey, what do all of you think a good name for a monkey a should be? any ideas. and tell me what do you think of getting a monkey as a pet :D

How about 延 寿?

And why would you sell a vicious dog to anyone else? I hope it's someone who is a veteran trainer who can retrain bad behavior...and who lives nowhere near children.

B)
Seapony

Next

Return to General off topic