Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - ゆきの物語 - Chapter 6

ゆきの物語 - Chapter 6

Translations of chapters from the story by our own richvh

ゆきの物語 - Chapter 6

Postby Lego » Sat 06.23.2007 12:58 pm

This was long and painful :D
There were many expressions which I didn't know, and so it took me a long time to translate them

The arrival at the capital.

Soon Yuki reached the gates of the capital.
"Good morning. I'm called Yuki. Please... " said Yuki to the porter.
"Why is a child like you coming to the city alone?" said the porter.
"To look for fortune" answered Yuki.
"But in this town there isn't any work" said the porter.
"Really? Dear me! Then I'm going to give this letter to the landlady of the spa" said Yuki while showing the letter to the porter.
"If that's the thruth, I won't stop you from entering the city. However, if you can't find a job within 3 days, you must leave the city" said the porter.
"Yes, I've understood, Sorry, where is the spa?" asked Yuki.
Soon after that the porter taught Yuki the route, she headed toward the spa.
"May I come in?" called yuki.
"Welcome" answered the landlady, while coming out.
"Good morning. I'm called Yuki. Can I speak to the landlady?" asked Yuki.
"Good morning, Yuki. I'm the landlady" she said.
"how can I help you?"
"The truth is that, during my voyage, I met a merchant. The merchant told me to deliver this letter to his sister who is the landlady of the spa. Here, please.." said Yuki while handing the letter to the landlady.
"Please enter. It will take a moment to read" said the landlady.
"Sorry for disturbing" said Yuki.
"Oh, my brother writes wonderful things about your tea ceremony. I think I'd like to see that skill. After that you have put on that new silk kimono that my brother gave you, please do the tea ceremony. If your manners are like my brother said, I'll hire you here" said the landlady.
"Yes, but I'm a bit dirty.I don't want to get this new silk kimono dirty" said Yuki.
"Ah, right. Please, take a bath there" said the landlady.
Having taken the bath, as she put on the silk kimono, Yuki began the tea ceremony.
Having ascertained this, the landlady said: "It seems it's like my brother said, Yuki's ability with the tea ceremony is very good. I haven't seen such a wonderful ability for as long as 15 years. Excuse me, please stay here", while doing a deep bow.
"My pleasure. Really it was nothing" said Yuki.
"(...). But I've just arrived in this town. I don't have a place to live, nor money. Here are some pearls that I found in shellfishes" said Yuki while taking out the pearls from the pocket.
"Then, using these pearls I can make a good necklace. It would be nice if you'd live in this room. Tomorrow, you and me together, we'll do shopping. (?) " said the landlady.
"But I don't have any money" said Yuki.
"Please, don't worry. I'll lend you the money. As this is the town's best tea ceremony, we'll have a great return" said the landlady.
Lego

RE: ゆきの物語 - Chapter 6

Postby richvh » Sat 06.23.2007 4:29 pm

More like "I suppose you have work here?" said the gatekeeper ("porter" isn't really appropriate; a porter carries baggage, or stands in front of high-class apartment buildings/hotels to assist people in and out of vehicles.)

As this is the town's best tea ceremony, we'll have a great return

This town's best tea ceremony artist will surely return it quickly.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Lego » Sat 06.23.2007 5:33 pm

richvh wrote:

More like "I suppose you have work here?" said the gatekeeper ("porter" isn't really appropriate; a porter carries baggage, or stands in front of high-class apartment buildings/hotels to assist people in and out of vehicles.)

As this is the town's best tea ceremony, we'll have a great return

This town's best tea ceremony artist will surely return it quickly.

mm right, I wasn't very sure that it was the appropiate term :D
and surely I'll have to take a second look at the tea ceremony artist sentence :|
tnx
Lego

Postby Lego » Sun 06.24.2007 12:55 pm

I have a question about chapter 7... I'll write it here as I don't want to open a new thread yet :P

女将はゆきの素性が気になるのか、市場に行く間に、色々と質問をしました。

I can't understand 気になる bit... I've looked on wwwjdic, but I still can't get it :(
Lego

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 06.24.2007 1:05 pm

気になる 【きになる】 (v5,vi) to be on one's mind, to worry one, to feel uneasy, to be anxious, to feel inclined
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Lego » Mon 06.25.2007 5:10 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
気になる 【きになる】 (v5,vi) to be on one's mind, to worry one, to feel uneasy, to be anxious, to feel inclined

the problem is that I can't fit those meanings in that sentence... maybe it's a problem with my english :(
Lego

Postby richvh » Mon 06.25.2007 6:43 am

Perhaps because the Okami was concerned about Yuki's background, on the way to the market she asked a lot of questions about it.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Lego » Mon 06.25.2007 11:42 am

richvh wrote:
Perhaps because the Okami was concerned about Yuki's background, on the way to the market she asked a lot of questions about it.

mm this makes sense :D
sometimes it's a bit difficult having to use a third language as a translation medium :P
well now chapter 7 is complete!
thanks guys
Lego

Return to ゆきの物語