Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Best anime for practicing one's Japanese?

Best anime for practicing one's Japanese?

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

Best anime for practicing one's Japanese?

Postby Akuma » Tue 09.06.2005 7:30 pm

Does anyone know of an anime that is good for learning Japanese (Which would include the characteres speaking at a relatively slow speed, and not using too many complicated phrases) and is also entertaining?

I tried watching Neon Genesis Evangelion in Japanese, but the anime has a lot of technical and military terms, which I'm not interested in right now.

The best I've found so far is Naruto, surprsingly.
Akuma

RE: Best anime for practicing one's Japanese?

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 09.06.2005 10:56 pm

Evangelion is harder than watching the news. I had to sit through the entire thing with my wife, and I think I understood about 40 percent of it. :/

As for good stuff, I would recommend the new Tsubasa: Resevior Chronicles. They speak REALLY slowly (which is why I stopped watching it), and if you get used to kurogane's speaking pattern, it's a good study tool.

Going back to the basics is always good, too. Modern anime as well as really fantastical anime is going to have a lot of words that you either a) won't know or b) have no reason to ever know. I would recommend things like Maison Ikkoku, Lum, or Ranma 1/2.. Which happen to all be Takahashi Rumiko videos, but I think they're pretty solid for standard talking fair.

If you're into movies, not just anime, you might want to check out "ima, ainiyukimasu" or "sekaino chuushinde aiwo sakebu". Both are love stories, and are written VERY simply. Even a beginner shouldn't have too much trouble with them.

Good luck!

Oh, and if you start spouting out stuff like "Crystal Tiara Power!!!" in Japanese class, you may get beaten to death. ;) Just a fair warning. *grin*
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Akuma » Wed 09.07.2005 2:53 am

Harisenbon wrote:
Evangelion is harder than watching the news. I had to sit through the entire thing with my wife, and I think I understood about 40 percent of it. :/

As for good stuff, I would recommend the new Tsubasa: Resevior Chronicles. They speak REALLY slowly (which is why I stopped watching it), and if you get used to kurogane's speaking pattern, it's a good study tool.

Tell me about it. I have the entire set of Neon Genesis DVDs, but they are useless for Japanese at the moment.

I'll be sure to check out Tsubasa.

Oh, and don't buy any Dragon Ball Z DVDs for practicing. It's an old anime, so the sound quality isn't very good. In addition, you either get painfully long sentences (From the narrator guy) or painfully short sentences (Like minna no chikara). And, the voices are rather strange (Goku sounds like an alien from a Douglas Adams novel).
Akuma

Postby Mariya » Wed 09.07.2005 5:45 am

:o I don't think I have a suggestion better than Harisenbon there, but I can tell you that for me, One Piece is great for practice. It has different elements mixed in, sometimes fantasy, sometimes modern and therefore the words. You might want to give it a shot. :D
Mariya

Postby lomagu » Wed 09.07.2005 7:34 am

Harisenbon wrote:

hahaha! I watch that now cause I actually can understand it. My Japanese is kinda low-middle-ish level so I think it's good to watch if you're learning.

I also recomment Bleach. It's not too hard to understand (although harder than Tsubasa). Mostly though, I just really like it so I'd recommend anyone to watch it for any reason. ;)
The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.☆-D.Adams
lomagu

Postby Kates » Thu 09.08.2005 12:15 pm

Though I eventually got tired of the story, Inuyasha was pretty easy to follow. Kagome speaks pretty 'normal' (sometimes uses some 'girly words) and Inuyasha speaks like a punk, so you can learn all those rude-boy ways to say stuff. The words they use aren't too technical, and you'd pick them up as you watch the show (like the jewel they're collecting is "Shikon no tama"... which you typically wouldn't learn in a classroom. ^_^)

I HIGHLY recommend any Ghibli movies as well. Since they are intended for children to understand, the characters speak clearly and simply. (though you will run into some slang/girl-boy speach, but it's good to hear, of course) Ghibli movies are also soooo beautiful and really fun and interesting, so it's a win-win situation. ^_^ Most of them are easily available now in the States as well, with the deal Disney has with them. I recommend Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro and Spirited Away. The language would be pretty straight-forward.
Kates

Postby MenomaMinx » Thu 09.08.2005 12:22 pm

I think just about any anime can be good for practice, provided you get your hands on a downloaded script to read along with the dialog.some of the bigger ones actually have romanized complete scripts online. I've seen some for Inuyasha episodes for example,which combined with how easy the particular DVDs/downloads are to get could make great starting material despite the complexity of the accents involved.Inuyasha's in particular is a trip to listen to. Much more animalistic sounding than the U.S. version and very unintentionally cute as a result :-)
Click below daily or a bunch of starving people will come to your house to eat you!(Either way, problem solved :-)
http://www.quickdonations.com/ http://www.donationjunction.com
MenomaMinx

Postby redfoxer » Thu 09.08.2005 2:28 pm

i love spirited away. That noface dude is scary o_O but if your looking for anime to supplement ur japanese understanding, go for the animes that are aimed for younger audiences. Stuff like NGE is bound to use alot of tough technical words and a fast speech pattern because its aimed for a more mature audience (hence all the theories on life and multiple religious sidelines sorta thing. that and shinji is a depressed troubled youth that pilots an EVA) but a good anime to learn sorta basic jp from would be "chobits". thats a good study as the speech isnt too fast and at the beginning, chii doesnt understand any japanese and hideki is trying to teach her some basic vocab and stuff. Remember, the more graphically violent the anime is, the more likely its guna be tougher to understand (back to my audience/level of japanese thing).
日本語はとても面白いと思いますよ!私は日本語が大好きです!
redfoxer

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 09.08.2005 6:49 pm

Kates wrote:
Though I eventually got tired of the story, Inuyasha was pretty easy to follow. Kagome speaks pretty 'normal' (sometimes uses some 'girly words) and Inuyasha speaks like a punk, so you can learn all those rude-boy ways to say stuff. The words they use aren't too technical, and you'd pick them up as you watch the show (like the jewel they're collecting is "Shikon no tama"... which you typically wouldn't learn in a classroom. ^_^)

OOh. Ghibli movies would be great. I didn't even think of that. Tonari no tottoro is really easy to understand, even for a beginner.

As for Inuyasha, the only problem is that the speech paterns of everyone except for Kagome aren't really used anymore. You won't see them in a) modern day speech or b) outside of manga. I've been reading a lot of Inuyasha lately, and the speech patern keeps sneaking into my normal speech. It doen't really go over as well as one would like.

Although some of my 4th grade students loved the fact that I can bust out with the manga threats and stuff. *laugh*
Harisenbon

Postby Kates » Fri 09.09.2005 12:34 pm

Hahaha, yeah... I still remember the day I called my girl friend Mayu "omae". XD Which, I can only assume is a direct influence of "Inuyasha." (In case you didn't see that in the "japanese slip ups" thread...) I wish I could talk like Inuyasha, though... it's so fun. "Iku-ze!" "Bu-korusu!" XD Girls get the shaft in Japanese, I'm tellin' ya.

But yes, some of the words are quite archaic... since it IS set in fuedal Japan... ^^; But it's still a lot easier to follow than "Conan" was. o_O I could usually only pick up "Conan-kun" every time I watched THAT darn show.
Kates

Postby Harisenbon » Fri 09.09.2005 9:19 pm

I know what you mean about the speech paterns slipping in. I've started slipping up with 食う and さ and stuff. I've started calling the wife お前 jokingly sometimes. I'm *SURE* she's happy about that. *laugh* Either that, or she's going to smother me in my sleep.

Conan is freaking hard. I gave up watching it and only read the comic, so I can see the Kanji and get the meaning. Cop shows in general are like that though. Whenever I watch Odoru Daisousakusen I have to turn on the Japanese subtitles to get what the hell they're talking about.
Harisenbon

Postby Akuma » Sat 09.10.2005 3:25 am

Oii, Harisenbon, just wanted to say thanks for the recommendation of Tsubasa. I watched the first episode, and I could actually understand some of it without the subtitles. Some of the long sentences were kind of hard to understand, mostly by the guy in white clothes with the staff (I actually didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the storyline, but I think even if I did, I wouldn't understand much more.. seems to be one of those 'Let's get to it the first episode' animes).

By the way, who is Kurogane? All I know is Shaoran and Sakura (hime). -_-;.
Akuma

Postby redfoxer » Sat 09.10.2005 8:49 am

hime = princess...just so u know, its a suffix. not a surname. and kurogane is in a different clamp anime called something like xxxholic...but im not sure. theres lots of clamp characters which where used in T:RC, eg, chii from chobits and mainly the CCS characters ^^
日本語はとても面白いと思いますよ!私は日本語が大好きです!
redfoxer

Postby kanadajin » Sat 09.10.2005 10:28 am

Well, when I cannot find any video's I will usually google search some Japanese Flash videos those help If you've heard of FFA+ (*Final Fantasy A+). Its a Japanese flash video about home work It has english sub titles and they speak fairly slow. http://www.funlol.com/funpages/finalfantasya.html I find this video entertaining as well.
kanadajin

Postby Harisenbon » Sat 09.10.2005 10:45 am

redfoxer wrote:
hime = princess...just so u know, its a suffix. not a surname. and kurogane is in a different clamp anime called something like xxxholic...but im not sure. theres lots of clamp characters which where used in T:RC, eg, chii from chobits and mainly the CCS characters ^^

Well, kurogane also comes in as one of the main characters in Tsubasa, although him being in XXXholic would explain why the two manga seem to be so closely linked. I've only seen the 3rd epidsode, when they're in the kansai world, but he should already be there. *ponder* is his name different in the anime? He's the guy in all black who has the dragon familiar in the Kansai world.
Harisenbon

Next

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions