Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Creating a Recommendation List

Creating a Recommendation List

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

Creating a Recommendation List

Postby Dehitay » Tue 06.05.2007 11:29 pm

I'm trying to create my own recommendation list, but I have so many titles that are borderline between good and recommendable. Also, I'm probly also forgetting a huge amount of titles. Here's what I have so far
http://www.geocities.com/dehitay/anime
Tell me which animes you think are recommendable so I can consider them. I've forgotten so many titles so I know my list is probly only half the size it should be. A hint that you may have already figured out is that I love comedies.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

RE: Creating a Recommendation List

Postby SirFirestorm » Wed 06.06.2007 12:14 am

You put Trigun and forgot Cowboy Bebop? :(
BECK, Gungrave, Black Lagoon, Scrapped Princess, Trinity Blood, Elfen Lied, Gunslinger Girl, Ghost in the Shell standalone complex 1st/2nd gig, Mushishi, Gunparade March, Evangelion, Noein, Otogi Zoushi, Tenjou Tenge, Speed grapher, Samurai 7, samurai champloo, Peace maker kurogane, vandread, grenadier, initial d, berserk.
/deepbreath and thats all I can think of from my list regarding action dramas. These are shounen type anime with action but there is quite a bit of drama, deep plotlines and themes for most of them.
I like most of the ones on your list too with the exception of tsubasa chronicles. Unbelieveably epic failure for a clamp series. anime-wise anyways.

Now for the comedies recommendations! B)

Welcome to NHK! - If you liked genshiken, here is another great comedy series with the same slice of life theme made for otakus. HIGHLY recommend this one if you haven't seen it.
Mahoraba heartful days, Ichigo mashimaro, Midori no hibi, Yakitate Japan, Inukami, Ichigo 100%, gokujou setokai, Comic party, full metal panic fumoffu.

There are some comedies currently running right now that are hilarious if you are into the deep dark underworld of downloading anime. Hayate no gotoku, seto no hayaname, lovely complex, gintama, and I am reluctantly saying this but lucky star is getting kind of good.

Alrighty, shoujo series:
NANA, Ayashi no Ceres, Air, His and Her circumstance, kannazuki no miko, mahou sensei negima, nodame cantabile, onegai teacher/twins, paradise kiss, romeo x juliet, sola.

Many of these titles are not licensed outside of japan, so unless you download fansubs you wont get a chance to watch quite a few of these. But i'd recommend these from what I've seen.
Last edited by SirFirestorm on Wed 06.06.2007 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SirFirestorm

Postby Dehitay » Wed 06.06.2007 1:13 am

I enjoy Shoujo anime as well. Fruits Baskets and Ouran are amongst my favorites. But dang, I'm surprised that you actually managed to list so many titles I haven't seen. I thought with nearly 200 titles behind me, that would have been impossible >=X
Dehitay

Postby Hao » Wed 06.06.2007 1:45 am

I would say Ah! Megami-Sama, Groove Adventure Ravem, Utawarerumono, Onegai Teacher, Fate/stay night, Kanon and Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru.
Last edited by Hao on Wed 06.06.2007 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Distortion upon distortion: . . . the more one uses the mind, the more confused one becomes.
Hao

Postby paulrowe » Thu 06.07.2007 11:34 am

I would recommend Ai Yori Aoshi for shoujo anime. I would also recommend Martian Successor Nadesico. I haven't seen all of Negima!, but it was recommended to me and I like what I've seen.
Paul Rowe
paulrowe

Postby Paragon » Thu 06.07.2007 2:29 pm

I'd say Elfenlied, Welcome to the NHK, Cowboy Bebop, and Higurashi no Naku Noro ni.

Borderline: Yakitate, Dokuro-chan
ワツ アップ マイ ニッガ?
Paragon

Postby HeyItsMatt » Thu 06.07.2007 3:04 pm

Hao wrote:
I would say Ah! Megami-Sama, Groove Adventure Ravem, Utawarerumono, Onegai Teacher, Fate/stay night, Kanon and Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru.

I'll throw in a second recommendation for Ah! Megami-Sama. I'm still an anime newbie... I think the only series I've watched so far have been Ah! Megami-Sama, Love Hina, and Chobits (apparently I like corny, light, girl-centered love comedies? I wonder what that means).

I thought Ah! Megami-Sama was good. It's light viewing - there's not a lot of plot or stunning ideas or anything - but it's quite funny at times, and the characters are cute and endearing. It's like visual candy or something, if that makes any sense. I thought it was a bit like Chobits, but a little bit less ridiculous than Chobits could be at times. And there's a bit more plot... it seemed like Chobits was (enjoyable) filler until maybe 4 episodes were left.
-Matt
HeyItsMatt

Postby inuinu » Thu 06.07.2007 3:54 pm

私もhajime no ippoがTV放送されてるときには、空いてる時間が合えば時々見てました。
全体的に漫画のほうが好きだけど、アニメのデンプシーロールのシーンは興奮しました :)

他に、私の好みを言うとすれば・・・
mushishi (人間と生命に関する哲学的なおはなし)
kino no tabi (人間と社会に関する哲学的なおはなし)
bartender (お酒と人生模様に関するちょっとオシャレなおはなし)
など、Slice of Life?と呼ばれているようなジャンルに、少し哲学が入ったようなのが好きです。

beck (ロックバンドを組んだ若者が成長していくおはなし)
これも私は好きでした。
英語ネイティブの人にとっては、英語で歌われている歌が変に聞こえるかも知れないけど
歌の良し悪しを抜きにしても、楽しめるアニメだと思いますよ。

これらは、爽快なアクションシーンなどが好きな人向けというよりも、
bitter sweetな人生模様を描いたものが好きな人向けですね。
(hajime no ippoはどちらもありますけど)
tasukeru kotoga dekiru nara
tasuketai to omou.
dakedo eigo ha nigate.
inuinu

Postby Dehitay » Thu 06.07.2007 11:12 pm

*gasps* How did I forget Nana?! Blasphemy!

I guess I should go ahead and add the Onegai series since I did like them but that means adding another dozen or so harem series. I feel kind of ashamed for knowing so many but they're just so incredibly hilarious.
Dehitay

Postby Infidel » Thu 06.07.2007 11:23 pm

aa megamisama has been my favorite series for a long time. Although, it's really the manga that I recommend. The anime OVA is too condensed and the new TV series diverges too much from the Manga. It's sorta, alternate universish.
Last edited by Infidel on Thu 06.07.2007 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby SirFirestorm » Fri 06.08.2007 12:06 am

@infidel - I liked the ah! my goddess manga better than the anime as well.

@inuinu - I really loved the music in BECK!!! although the english is pretty bad, the originality of the plot and the character progression makes it one of my favorite anime series, highly recommended <3

The only harem type series I enjoy are the ones built around comedy rather than a failtacular love story. And they almost always fail.

Romance comedy = win. I already listed these but Love hina, mahoraba, inukami, they have fanservice but also an awesome plot and lots of comedy that put these over the top.

Fanservice + mediocre love story = lose. Shuffle, ai yori aoshi, girls bravo, I would not recommend these although other people might have different opinions. they have a shallow storyline and a boring/forced/cliche love story. the only things keeping the series afloat are the girls/boobs/panties.
SirFirestorm

Postby captcouch » Fri 07.06.2007 1:34 am

A good recommendable anime would be Neon Genesis Evangelion. It's a classic anime that's been around since the mid to late-nineties, the golden age of anime. A quick synopsis:

Years into the future, a natural phenomenon has wiped out half of the Earth's population. In addition, enormous machines, nicknamed "Angels," have been attacking as well. Even the lead scientists of the world don't know what they are made of, and why they attack either. All anybody knows is that they must defend themselves. A boy named Shinji Ikari is forced to pilot an enormous fighting robot, defending Japan from the Angels. He must deal with a cloud of depressing emotion while fighting to defend Earth as well.

Basically, it's an action anime with some depressing situations. However, those situations aren't exactly Mr. Rogers-style "sit down and talk about our feelings" situations. It's pretty good, the storyline works out pretty well.
Don't try to argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
captcouch

Postby m_ » Sat 07.14.2007 11:37 pm

these are awesome animes I totally enjoy - NANA, Peach Girl, Paradise Kiss, Beck, Monster, Victorian Romance Emma, Great Detective Poirot and Marple.

any other great shoujo animes and detective animes to recommend? :D
m_

Postby Infidel » Sat 07.14.2007 11:48 pm

A good recommendable anime would be Neon Genesis Evangelion. It's a classic anime that's been around since the mid to late-nineties, the golden age of anime. A quick synopsis:

EVE has been around long enough even people that hate anime know about it.

EVE is a good example of anime that makes people stop liking Anime, if for no other reason than because Shinji is such a total pathetic looser. Then there's the ending that whether you get it or not, doesn't really follow the rest of the series and should be scratched from any recommendation list.

I think any recommendation list should concentrate on anime a more coherent plot and a pacing and ending people not familiar with anime can appreciate. In other words, don't make a list for people that already like anime, which is what most of these recomendation list are, make a list for people that don't like anime very much but are willing to give maybe one more go before they write it off entirely.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 07.15.2007 12:21 am

inuinu:
蟲師は本当にすごいですね。漫画はともかく、アニメの方は思った以上にすばらしいと思います。すぐDVDはアメリカにも出てくるので買いたいんです。:)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Next

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions