Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - People Amaze Me Sometimes

People Amaze Me Sometimes

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: People Amaze Me Sometimes

Postby Tspoonami » Thu 07.05.2007 2:38 pm

sei wrote:
Well, I just thought this: for example, any other animal besides humans. Like lions and so. The mother's automatically have a maternal instinct. They protect their child till they reach the age to be able to be alone.

Suppose it isn't such a great example, but you can see that even (considered) non-rational animals have, what you call "psychological issue" and "brainwashing". So how can this be? They aren't rational, yet they somehow were brainwashed to start to care for their children?

Brainwashed! <-- it's a link
Last edited by Tspoonami on Thu 07.05.2007 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes I think that I'm afraid of thinking, and that scares me.
Tspoonami

Postby sei » Thu 07.05.2007 3:56 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
logic and reason.. those are fighting words.. lol

I wonder why the exact same words are in 2 different threads. A technical error? Or is it intentionally?

Anyway, who is it for?
Last edited by sei on Thu 07.05.2007 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Questions? Feel free to ask. :)
sei

Native language: Portuguese

Postby SenescenceReign » Thu 07.05.2007 4:03 pm

Dehitay wrote:
I can understand well what you both are saying, but to me, it still appears as only a psychological issue.

Only child? Or just emotionally aloof?
/relurk
SenescenceReign

Postby Dehitay » Thu 07.05.2007 4:24 pm

sei wrote:
Well, I just thought this: for example, any other animal besides humans. Like lions and so. The mother's automatically have a maternal instinct. They protect their child till they reach the age to be able to be alone.

And abortion, if you think about it, most people just do it because they think if they had the baby, they couldn't take care of it, so it would only in the end be worse for the baby. And after doing it, the woman blames herself through her life, thinking she shouldn't have done it. This is also why abortion is such a big issue.

I have to mention that some animals making horrible parents. Turtles drop their children off in a pile or dirt and abandon them to let a great deal of the litter be eaten before reaching the water. However putting that aside, you still do make a good point. I do believe that women have a maternal instinct. Men also have a paternal instinct. However, I don't believe this has any connection to whether the child they raise is born by them or adopted. Amongst the kind of animals where the mother will raise their children, a majority of these mothers will actually raise another child if you add it to their litter (sometimes they'll even raise a child from a different species). Even animals for the most don't seem to care whether they give birth to a child or adopt it.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Postby sei » Thu 07.05.2007 4:49 pm

Dehitay wrote:
Amongst the kind of animals where the mother will raise their children, a majority of these mothers will actually raise another child if you add it to their litter (sometimes they'll even raise a child from a different species). Even animals for the most don't seem to care whether they give birth to a child or adopt it.

That's true, but also rarely happens. Specially in wild species. If it's not their own child animals tend to ignore it, or kill it for fun and food. I am thinking on lions now, but i believe this goes for almost all wild species.
sei

Postby Dehitay » Thu 07.05.2007 6:11 pm

sei wrote:
That's true, but also rarely happens. Specially in wild species. If it's not their own child animals tend to ignore it, or kill it for fun and food. I am thinking on lions now, but i believe this goes for almost all wild species.

If memory serves me correct, lions also adopt. If they come across unfamiliar cubs, they will either kill them or integrate them into the pride (I'm not sure which occurence is more common) while their mother isn't around. I do believe most wild species with maternal instincts adopt as well. I know for sure wolves and foxes do. Birds don't. But either way, I would think humans are more of a domesticated part of the animal kingdom than a wild species.
Last edited by Dehitay on Thu 07.05.2007 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dehitay

Postby sei » Thu 07.05.2007 6:35 pm

But either way, I would think humans are more of a domesticated part of the animal kingdom than a wild species.

Sophisticated for sure. Doesn't mean their animal instincts, or in this case, maternal instincts and all of that disappear.

And I didn't say lions didn't adopt. As Tsoopnami's link proves, they do adopt, other species even too. But I do think it's very rare for a wild animal to adopt another animal's child.

And it still doesn't change my initial point. Humans can adopt and love the child they adopt. But they will still have a stronger bond with their own children.
sei

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 07.06.2007 8:54 am

sei wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:
logic and reason.. those are fighting words.. lol

I wonder why the exact same words are in 2 different threads. A technical error? Or is it intentionally?

Anyway, who is it for?

it was completely intentional. it was sarcasm. meant for no one and everyone.
two_heads_talking

Postby spin13 » Fri 07.06.2007 1:16 pm

Hatori wrote:
But [childbirth is] also a miracle.

No more a miracle than eating food and requiring use of a toilet thereafter. Humans are so neat.
Last edited by spin13 on Fri 07.06.2007 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 07.06.2007 1:59 pm

since one can spew crap at least every time they open their mouths, and child birth requires 9 months, i think your analogy of miracles is misconstrued. ammend your statement.
two_heads_talking

Postby SenescenceReign » Fri 07.06.2007 4:40 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
since one can spew crap at least every time they open their mouths, and child birth requires 9 months, i think your analogy of miracles is misconstrued. ammend your statement.

I must say this sent me into a fit of giggles. I'm not entirely sure why but I wanted to share that with you.

It was probably that demand. "Amend your statement". My reading voice made it sound epic.
/relurk
SenescenceReign

Postby spin13 » Sat 07.07.2007 12:37 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
spin13 wrote:
[Childbirth is] no more a miracle than eating food and requiring use of a toilet thereafter. Humans are so neat.

since one can spew crap at least every time they open their mouths, and child birth requires 9 months, i think your analogy of miracles is misconstrued. ammend (sic) your statement.

Consumption, digestion, and its byproducts are chemical and mechanical processes without which the human race would be unable to sustain its known existence. The same could be said about procreation and childbirth.

I'm not quite certain why you take offense to my stance that all parts of existence -- human or otherwise -- are equally miraculous. My statement will remain unamended.

-Eric
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Postby Infidel » Sat 07.07.2007 2:16 am

TH was Joking. Sheesh. It was funny, and the person before you even got it.

Consumption, digestion, and its byproducts are chemical and mechanical processes without which the human race would be unable to sustain its known existence. The same could be said about procreation and childbirth.

The same could be said about BS. If people stopped BSing, the world would come to a screeching halt and everyone would die. When people fall flat on their face, it is BS that cushions their fall. Think of all those craniums saved! If it weren't for BS, we wouldn't even have diplomacy or lawyers, it would be a world of complete anarchy.

So when you find yourself up to your neck in BS, just remember. Safety first! You might even want to put some in your pocket to save for later.
Last edited by Infidel on Sat 07.07.2007 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Dehitay » Sat 07.07.2007 9:19 am

Infidel wrote:
TH was Joking. Sheesh. It was funny, and the person before you even got it.

The last 11 words of 2head's post completely soiled the joke then.
Dehitay

Postby sei » Sat 07.07.2007 10:07 am

I seem to not understand a lot today... What is BS? Not understanding that, I couldn't understand one thing from Infidel's post. I thought I knew what it meant, but it obviously doesn't make sense there, so I am wondering what it is after all.
Last edited by sei on Sat 07.07.2007 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
sei

PreviousNext

Return to General off topic