Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Hiragana or Katakana?

Hiragana or Katakana?

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Hiragana or Katakana?

Postby Kimiko711 » Sun 09.11.2005 1:10 am

I'm not sure witch one to practice!
I'm so confused!

Witch one is the main one?

And what are the diffrences between them?
Kimiko711

RE: Hiragana or Katakana?

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 09.11.2005 1:19 am

You need both.

Hiragana is used for pure Japanese words, while Katakana is used for foreign words that are brought into the Japanese langauge.

りんご-- ringo -- apple -- Hiragana
パャRン -- pasokon -- Personal Computer -- katakana
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby redfoxer » Sun 09.11.2005 8:48 am

i think you should practice them both since there both used quite often in text. hirigana more so but as some people have told me, katakana is used quite frequently if u actually visited japan and walked around some tourist places. In regards to it, learn both. what to learn first? which ever you feel suits u to learn first. which ever you think is easier to learn first. there is no right or wrong way. if your really intrested in the language, you'll want to know them all. lol, i cant help but say this now, but as a phrase from pokemon, "gotta learn em all"
日本語はとても面白いと思いますよ!私は日本語が大好きです!
redfoxer

Postby nonenone1234 » Sun 09.11.2005 9:41 am

I learned katakana first coz its used frequently and words in katakana are usually English words.
Also, its easier than hiragana(squiggly characters).
nonenone1234

Postby Daichi » Mon 09.12.2005 6:06 am

nonenone1234 wrote:
I learned katakana first coz its used frequently and words in katakana are usually English words.
Also, its easier than hiragana(squiggly characters).

Pesonally speaking, I don't agree. I started learning both in parallel, but it wasn't long before I noticed hiragana was sinking in a lot faster. Now I know all the hiragana, but not even half of the katakana. Sure, katakana will probably be easier to write - the strokes are a lot simpler. But I found hiragana much easier to remember.
Last edited by Daichi on Mon 09.12.2005 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daichi

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 09.12.2005 6:31 am

For some reason most foreigners are the same. No matter which you're better at in the beginning, you use hiragana so much that it's soon going to eclipse katakana as what you can read the easiest.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Die » Fri 09.16.2005 3:04 pm

I think it's better to learn hiragana first because as everyone else said, it's used a heck of a lot more and it is the "main one" as you put it. If you're going to be writing Japanese, you better practice hiragana much more than katakana. It's also pretty easy to pick up katakana afterwards, not only because some katakana look similar to hiragana (ka for instance), but because you are sounding out a word you know, so if you got three or four of the syllables recognized, then you can probably make out the word anyway.

There is one small advantage of learning katakana first, and that's the satisfaction of understand exactly what you're reading as soon as you learn them since most words in katakana are borrowed from English. However, this advantage is only short-term...so if you're serious about the long term, I would say hiragana first and foremost! Tourists and those not interested in learning Japanese seriously should learn katakana first though.
Die

Postby redfoxer » Fri 09.16.2005 4:12 pm

hirigana i learnt quite easily. katakana was harder cos i didnt see it as often, and they kinda look similar. dont get me started on shi/n/tsu/su combo....it took me forever to figure them apart...
日本語はとても面白いと思いますよ!私は日本語が大好きです!
redfoxer

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)