Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - private mails as learning materials?

private mails as learning materials?

Do you have any comments to tjp.com, good or bad?

RE: private mails as learning materials?

Postby kohyin » Sat 07.07.2007 6:18 pm

I just recently translated a series of personal email from Japanese to English just to help my friends for a legal purpose. Even though it was for a good cause, it left me unpleasant feeling. I wouldn't wish anyone's personal communications to be exposed online without the writer's consent.

For learning purposes, we don't really have to disclose neither the source nor the entire content. I suggest that we present a word and/or phrase that we don't understand. If one does not understand the entire content, then it is may be best to be dealt on a personal basis like coco-san suggested.

本当にこういうヤツには「カシオの翻訳機でも買え!」 と言いたい。

笑!
Last edited by kohyin on Sat 07.07.2007 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
緑@光陰
http://www.kohyin.com
署l署F、皆仲良くしましょう。
kohyin

Postby Infidel » Sat 07.07.2007 11:23 pm

Interesting necro, but this is a good thread to revive periodically, so it's all good.

I never caught this point at the time.

but please...censor it.

Part of the problem is, not knowing how to read the e-mail also means not knowing where to censor.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby furin » Sun 07.08.2007 3:10 am

coco wrote:
「カシオの翻訳機でも買え!」 

... He should say "please translate it for me" ;)
Last edited by furin on Sun 07.08.2007 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
furin

Postby sei » Sun 07.08.2007 8:52 am

Part of the problem is, not knowing how to read the e-mail also means not knowing where to censor.

I thought this exact same thing. If the person is asking for a translation then he/she doesn't understand the message. Making it impossible to check which parts to censor.

There is actually a link to another of Jose100 translation threads, where he censor the name of a hotel. I am still wondering if the name was in English or French (I believe the friend was in France) so he could have censored it. Because I don't see any other way he could have without understanding the message.
Questions? Feel free to ask. :)
sei

Native language: Portuguese

Postby tanuki » Sun 07.08.2007 9:37 am

furin wrote:
coco wrote:
「カシオの翻訳機でも買え!」 

... He should say "please translate it for me" ;)

LOL! :D
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby kohyin » Mon 07.09.2007 10:23 pm

Infidel wrote:
Interesting necro, but this is a good thread to revive periodically, so it's all good.

I never caught this point at the time.

but please...censor it.

Good point! I think you are really level-headed and clear minded.

However, if I had no idea about the content, I probably would ask someone very close to me in a private communication such as private email to translate the content to avoid any sort of embarrassments in public. It's not only because I wish to protect the privacy of the writer but it could be about my bad personal habits or something that I don't wish to be disclosed, you know? ;)
緑@光陰
http://www.kohyin.com
署l署F、皆仲良くしましょう。
kohyin

Postby coco » Mon 11.19.2007 10:08 pm

I haven't read the OP of this thread. But it seemed like the worst one. I appreciate that Yudan-san always keeps his eye on this matter. (He have added a notice about this on "Just the FAQ".)

Why don't we add a rule regarding a private mail exposure?
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby Noob » Mon 11.19.2007 10:53 pm

I agree. I read earlier, about a chinese girls love letter, and thought that it was probably used as motivation. Imagine his suprise when he could actually read it. E-mails are private matters. People really need to think a little more before they do things like that.
Noob

Previous

Return to Comments