Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Run me through this word (ちょびっツ)...

Run me through this word (ちょびっツ)...

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Run me through this word (ちょびっツ)...

Postby b4d0m3n » Tue 09.13.2005 11:06 am

I'm having a little trouble with this. Of course, it is the title of Chobits, but could you point out the general makeup of it? 'びっ' especially is causing me to scratch my head. And why use 'ツ' at the end of a word written in Hiragana? 'ツ' is katakana isn't it? Are katakana symbols used in hiragana words? If so why? Unless of course I'm missing something obvious. In that case, please inform me, dudes. I'm only just starting out, mind, but this is a thing which has been bothering me.
b4d0m3n

RE: Run me through this word (ちょびっツ)...

Postby Beau » Tue 09.13.2005 12:22 pm

Well, a small tsu before another character produces a double consanant, like the tt in "matte". However, there is no use of, or character for, the sound "ts" in japanese. So, chances are, by putting it at the end of the word, they are trying to symbolise the "ts" sound, since it is the "tsu" character. By putting it in katakana, they are emphasising that it's unusual, and not just a spelling mistake. Also, katakana is used a lot for foreign words, and the "ts" sound is foreign to japanese......
Beau

Postby redfoxer » Tue 09.13.2005 1:24 pm

oh, i duno, maybe what ojizosan said. i always thought it was keeping to the storyline (with hideki setting up his chobits password, he had to change one character to a katakana to make it more secure), and yea, the tsu at the end is because in jp, words dont end on a constanant except for n. using a tsu is the best wat to write chobits(u). just the way japanese people pronounce words.
日本語はとても面白いと思いますよ!私は日本語が大好きです!
redfoxer

Postby Kates » Tue 09.13.2005 3:58 pm

I wondered about this when I first saw the title in Japanese and figured that the author(s) didn't like the look of ちょびっつ... cuz two つ in a row looks kind of weird.

Yes, katakana and hiragana can be combined in one word--though it is very rare. Usually it is only for emphasis. Occasionally you will see native Japaense words (that are normally written in hiragana or kanji) in katakana. Temee and omae (テメエ / オマエ -- both rude words for 'you') are probably good examples. In a comic called "Kurozakuro," one character always refers to another as オマエ.

But, you asked about hira and kata in ONE word together. I have often seen the word "bareta" (to be found out/revealed) written: バレた. I also recently saw: イジける (to cower/grow timid). Both words are normally written in hiragana (as far as I know, neither have kanji)--but the author wanted to emphasize these words, so they were written with katakana as well.
Kates

Postby b4d0m3n » Tue 09.13.2005 9:06 pm

Fantastic. Thanks, guys. Could you also tell me what 'びっ' sounds like phonetically? The closest I can find in my books is (byu), but it isn't quite right.
b4d0m3n

Postby aoeuaoeuaoeu » Tue 09.13.2005 9:25 pm

The 'っ' in 'びっ' means that the next character is doubled. Like ojizosan explained, phonetically, it would be something like bi--tsu (a short pause in the middle). Another example, have you ever heard 'して' (do) and 'しって' (to know). The only difference is the slight pause you make in 'しって'.
shite // shi--te
aoeuaoeuaoeu

Postby b4d0m3n » Tue 09.13.2005 9:40 pm

fuasu wrote:
The 'っ' in 'びっ' means that the next character is doubled. Like ojizosan explained, phonetically, it would be something like bi--tsu (a short pause in the middle). Another example, have you ever heard 'して' (do) and 'しって' (to know). The only difference is the slight pause you make in 'しって'.
shite // shi--te

Oh, right. Now I get it, sorry. That's much clearer, then. So... cho bi--tsu. Cool. Thanks, dudes. It works in my brain now. It works.
b4d0m3n

Postby Kates » Tue 09.13.2005 10:29 pm

A good romanization of the word would be "Chobittsu"... with a double-T. So you would say "Cho-bit-ts(u)" ... the U could be silent or not, your choice, really.
Kates

Postby b4d0m3n » Tue 09.13.2005 10:52 pm

Kates wrote:
A good romanization of the word would be "Chobittsu"... with a double-T. So you would say "Cho-bit-ts(u)" ... the U could be silent or not, your choice, really.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Cool. Thanks a lot, I appreciate it. :D
b4d0m3n

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems