Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Weird Verb Endings

Weird Verb Endings

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Weird Verb Endings

Postby Ensomniak86 » Wed 09.14.2005 4:12 am

I was reading ドラえもん プラス1, and I came across this sentence using what I think is some sort of a slang form for "-te/de shimau". "笑いすぎてもらしちゃった! Warai sugite morashichatta. / LIT. I laughed so much I was (regrettedly?) made to leak." This was said after the main character used magic gloves to tickle someone until they "leaked" from "MORASU - To let leak".

What seems to be the same form appears again, at an earlier place in the book. "おせんたくものがたまっちゃって...... Osentakumono ga tamacchatte....../I (unfortunately?) have to gather your dirty clothes....." This was used when the main charachter's mother gathered his clothes to wash them. Presumably, because he was too lazy to do so.
I can kinda get the feel of what it means, but does anyone officially know what kind of form this is!? Thanks for your help...
Oh yeah, this was the first manga I've really tried to read. I picked it up at a used bookstore in Japan after someone recommended it to me for 'easy' Japanese reading practice...

Also, I ran across what I think is a contraction for "-te wa". For example, something like "行かなくちゃ、だめです。/ I have to go." Is that what this is? I'm looking for a conformation or correction to these endings. Thanks again...
Last edited by Ensomniak86 on Wed 09.14.2005 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ensomniak86

RE: Weird Verb Endings

Postby CviCvraeVtMoriar » Wed 09.14.2005 5:02 am

You are correct:

〜ちゃう = てしまう (取ってしまった -> 取っちゃった)

〜じゃう = でしまう (飲んでしまった -> 飲んじゃった)

Just checked Google. しまう is about two to three times commoner than ちゃう or じゃう. I don't which is more widely used colloquially... I have no way of checking that.

笑いすぎてもらしちゃった = Ended up peeing his pants from laughing too hard / Ended up peeing his pants because he was laughing so hard. ?

おせんたくものがたまっちゃって = The laundry having finished being gathered... ?

行かなくちゃ、だめです I am pretty sure you are correct with respect to this, as well; ちゃ is equivalent to て, ては, or ても.

In case this isn't clear already, those question marks appear after my translations because I am not sure as to the quality of my translations. You ought to wait for input from the likes of Harisenbon and Kates, if they would be so kind as to oblige. :)
Last edited by CviCvraeVtMoriar on Wed 09.14.2005 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ni di me non pvlchrvm paterentvr, omnia bona agerem. Dixit: Cvr se deos liqvisse? Qvid se faceret? Di se fecissent foediorem qvam qvem canis ipse videre posset. Qvaeram a qvovis, vel diabolo, vt bellvs a se fiam modo ne malam vitam vivam. Dico, si aliter egissent, fvtvrvm fvisse vt bene viverem. - me
CviCvraeVtMoriar

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 09.14.2005 6:22 am

ちゃった, as well as ちゃう, as CCVM said, are the casual speach forms of しまった and しまう, respectively. They mean that something occured which was regretable.

クッキーを食べちゃった - crap, I ate the cookie.
道ですべて転んじゃった - (conjugations changes it to じゃった) I slipped and fell on the street

笑いすぎてもらしちゃった = Ended up peeing his pants from laughing too hard
this Is correct.

おせんたくものがたまっちゃって = The laundry having finished being gathered... ?
I would say "The laundry has piled up" as たまる is the verb to pile up.

行かなくちゃ、だめです I am pretty sure you are correct with respect to this, as well; ちゃ is equivalent to て, ては, or ても.
This would mean that I have to go. Rater colloquial
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Kates » Wed 09.14.2005 9:25 am

Wow, see, this is why I never recommended Doraemon to anyone to read! Sure you would THINK it would be easy... but it's full of colloquial/casual verb endings that Japanese students hardly ever (maybe never??) study in class! I think I have more trouble reading Doraemon than some of the Shounen Sunday stuff I read! >_<

Props to you, though, Ensomniak, for giving it a shot. (: Being able to understand Doraemon will certainly help your Japanese improve.
Last edited by Kates on Wed 09.14.2005 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kates

Postby Spaztick » Wed 09.14.2005 12:43 pm

Yea, even after you learn casual speech patterns, it's hard to go back to being polite! :D

BTW, しまう's conjugation of しまった, be absoloutly sure to use that correctly. >.>
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby Ensomniak86 » Wed 09.14.2005 1:45 pm

I see. Thanks all. I've been studying the 'textbook' stuff so much that I forgot about the colloquial forms. I'm sure I'll be back with more. I've only read the first 3 stories... :P
Thanks again for all your help. If anyone knows of any more slang, or colloquial words, verb endings, etc., feel free to post them here. I'll definitely be back. ;)
Ensomniak86

Postby Kates » Wed 09.14.2005 8:24 pm

すげえええ! >_<

Oh oh! Or what about dialects? 関西弁は最高やん! ええやん! >_<
Kates

Postby skrhgh3b » Wed 09.14.2005 9:03 pm

eheh. i used nothing but casual japanese for the better part of a year, and now i'm having trouble using polite speech with my japanese teachers.
skrhgh3b

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 09.14.2005 9:12 pm

Hmm.. coloquial things from where I am...

わからへんがや - I don't know
うちんちきや - come to my house
くってきや - go ahead and eat it
ええ - good
みえます - used instead of いっらしゃいます
ちょっと まっとって - wait a second

It's completely gotten to the point that I don't know what's colloquial and what's not anymore. I figure if I get stared at when I leave Gifu, then I've said something colloquial. *grin* Conversely, if I say any of the following words IN Gifu, I immediately get complimented on my japanese. Even if all I said was "wait a second" :/
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Justin » Wed 09.14.2005 9:36 pm

If anyone is interested, here's some interesting links on Kansai-ben...

Dictionary full of Kansai-ben words:
http://www2g.biglobe.ne.jp/~gomma/ajiten.html

Basic Lessons about Kansai-ben:
http://homepage2.nifty.com/GANSO_hirokun/kouza00.html

Basic Lessons about Kansai-ben:
http://www.lares.dti.ne.jp/~denjin/menu.html

Normal Japanese > Kansai-ben Translator (nothing really special, but kind of interesting)
http://www2f.biglobe.ne.jp/~takan/javac/freeware/nandeyanen.htm

Seeing as how they are all in Japanese though, I'm not for sure how useful they'll really be. I guess it kind of works out okay though as you really should have a good base knowledge of Japanese before you dive too far into Kansai-ben and what not.
Justin

Postby Gaijinian » Wed 09.14.2005 9:39 pm

行かなくちゃ、だめです

行かなくちゃ・行かなきゃ(Slang Of 〜くては)ならない Or いけない Not だめ
I must go

Note
行っちゃだめよ! Is highly spoken form (行ってはだめ)
Last edited by Gaijinian on Wed 09.14.2005 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The harder they come, the harder they fall, one and all.
---
yawr.org
Gaijinian

Postby CviCvraeVtMoriar » Wed 09.14.2005 10:49 pm

Harisenbon wrote:

I would say "The laundry has piled up" as たまる is the verb to pile up.

I knew the verb was intransitive, but I couldn't think of a way of phrasing it without it sounding unnatural, so I said, "the laundry having been gathered"; I thought it would be weird to say, "the laundry having gathered," as I do not fain use anthropomorphizations...

Thanks a lot for you input and corrections. :D
Ni di me non pvlchrvm paterentvr, omnia bona agerem. Dixit: Cvr se deos liqvisse? Qvid se faceret? Di se fecissent foediorem qvam qvem canis ipse videre posset. Qvaeram a qvovis, vel diabolo, vt bellvs a se fiam modo ne malam vitam vivam. Dico, si aliter egissent, fvtvrvm fvisse vt bene viverem. - me
CviCvraeVtMoriar

Postby Ensomniak86 » Thu 09.15.2005 2:28 am

Yeah, I noticed how my host family tended to say sugee instead of sugoi. And I really could tell a difference in their pronunciation and people from kyoto and the like.
Oh, by the way. I also bought doraemon because of the furigana over all the unknown kanji. It's easy to read I guess, but somewhat hard to understand...
Ensomniak86

Postby Ensomniak86 » Thu 09.15.2005 2:40 am

You know what, I just found the answer to my own question above and more at this site. Isn't that great? I found it under lessons/verb conjugation for newbies. :P
Thanks again everyone. You've all been really helpful.
Ensomniak86

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems