Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Why You Want To Learn Japanese

Why You Want To Learn Japanese

Japanese, general discussion on the language

RE: Why You Want To Learn Japanese

Postby AkiraHatake » Thu 06.21.2007 7:02 am

I learn Japanese because Sai sama in HIkaru no Go, I love sama and love Japanese as a result ;)
AkiraHatake

Postby Advent_Sun » Fri 08.03.2007 2:37 pm

>_> I love the culture. I plan on visiting.
Advent_Sun

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 08.04.2007 6:18 am

Cypher wrote:
konbanwa there are many reasons why I want to learn nihongo but the biggest reason is that it is something that I have wanted to do for years. :D

That's very tautological; good for you!
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby World_Traveler2007 » Sat 08.04.2007 7:07 am

I really like the culture and traditions of Japan. I would like to understand it all more. Also I hope to someday visit Japan and not depend entirely on someone to translate for me.
--------
Daniel
World_Traveler2007

Postby Kenitai » Sat 08.04.2007 10:08 pm

I want and need to learn it because it's the only way to become a pro mangaka, those are my ambitions. Both of them, to learn and become. I also have abandoned my previous school, in order to rapidly prepare myself.
Kenitai

Native language: Dutch

Postby Krysta » Sun 08.05.2007 1:12 pm

I love the culture. The way everything seems to go diffrently. I want to know more about that.
Plus I just love the language. The way it sounds, the way its written.
I haven't found much that i dislike about Japan and its culture.
Except sushi, i don't like fish that much, but I'll give it a try once.
Krysta

Postby AkiKaza-chan » Sun 08.05.2007 4:31 pm

I used to watch anime and read manga. (Thank Sailor Moon XD) I still do, but not as much. The little onomatopeia in the background, the katakana? I couldn't read it. XD and I got really mad because I wasn't used to not knowing stuff. So I decided to look it up and I found Japanese. Since I was eleven I have been studying for two years on my own, and since early this year I have been taking classes on saturdays.

I love Asia. Japanese was my first, and since I love almost everything to do with Japan, I'm sure I'll stick with it. I'm going to try Korean next, and MAYBE Chinese...Not sure about it yet, though.

(I also flipped out when we went to Six Flags yesterday. Everytime we passed an Asian person I said, "Ooh, lookit the Asians. Ooh, isn't that girl so cute???" XD I got in trouble. XD And my sister had a play there, there were two Asians in it, I could barely pay attention for trying to figure out who was who. XD *gets shot*)

;) ~Aki
AkiKaza-chan

Postby aphoenix » Sun 08.05.2007 8:35 pm

It's always been my dream to live in a small village in Japan writing code.
aphoenix

Postby Minu » Wed 08.08.2007 11:42 pm

Haha, I have a few reasons... For one, it'd be nice to have SOME clue of what my older sister is ranting about when she's angry(She rants and raves in Japanese, normally. It's weird. =P) and I really love the language in general. I've been thinking about taking a course in college for awhile, but why wait 3 years(I'm going into 10th grade) when I can start now?

And, to be a bit egotistical, I can boast to the anime nerds at school that I can write in Hiragana. Might not be a big accomplishment, but to them, they'd think it was the most awesome thing in the world even if it translated to babbling.
Minu

Postby lbum » Wed 08.15.2007 7:03 am

Personally I have liked the culture and history for a while. And I have found some manga that I really like and I want to know what is going on in the series. That is why I am trying to learn Japanese.
lbum

Postby askeladd » Sat 08.18.2007 2:23 pm

1) I like learning languages.

2) I've thought about learning it for some time, but never really got around to it until the past few years.

3) I'm learning Korean, so it could be argued that learning Japanese is a logical extension.

4) It would be helpful for my business.
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.

---Mark Twain
askeladd

Native language: 英語

Postby Mandy I Am » Sun 08.19.2007 12:25 am

I am learning Japanese because:

1) At work, we have many guests who come to the states from Japan. I want to be able to understand and help them when needed.

2) When I was a young girl I used to go to the Sanrio store and read the Kanji on all of the products. :) Ever since the first day I walked into a Sanrio store, I wanted to learn.

3) I watch a lot of Japanese movies, dramas, and Anime. It would help me a lot to learn the language in case the translations are way off.

4) I also listen to various Japanese pop groups and I want to be able to sing along to the lyrics.

13 years ago, I signed up for Japanese in my sophomore year in high school. I was so excited and geared to learn the language. Then I get the annoying and displeasing news that the school system dropped the Japanese program in the city. I could have started back then but I did not have the resources to be able to begin to learn and now I do. :)
Last edited by Mandy I Am on Sun 08.19.2007 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mandy I Am

Postby Baleno_E » Wed 08.22.2007 11:53 pm

僕は日本のアニメが大好きですよ
今流行っているのは「ナルト」や「Bleach」、セイントセイヤの最後篇も期待していますよ
夢の中へ
Baleno_E

Postby charmedbuttercup » Mon 09.03.2007 6:37 am

I am learning Japanese because:

* I like learning languages, as it is a portal to understanding culture. I'm currently learning German, as well (slow going in this too =_=).

* I watch quite a lot of Asian media (drama, movies, etc.) and specifically, anime and manga. I would like to be able to understand what is being said / written, myself. ^_^

* I'm interested in learning more about the culture of Japan (stuff like samurais and bushido, origami, furoshiki, etc.) And of course, the food! Bento boxes ftw!~

* Written Japanese has a minimal prettiness to it. I would like to do some Japanese calligraphy someday. ^_^

* I've always liked a challenge and learning this language is something I've wanted to do for years.
charmedbuttercup

Postby sullivankael » Mon 09.03.2007 11:56 am

my main reasons for wanting to learn japanese-

1. because it's an interesting language and the culture intriques me
2. because it's impractical for me to want to translate it and not know it as well as i can [thus its for my future career]
3. because i detest relying on another's translation of what's being said/done
4. because i want to
[small]5. because stalking jrock stars will be easier ...jk[/small]

<3

edit-
6. because i want to know how to make ramen in japanese
Last edited by sullivankael on Mon 09.03.2007 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
sullivankael

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese General Discussion