Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Multi-lingual games

Multi-lingual games

Discuss games, Japanese as well as non-Japanese.

Multi-lingual games

Postby clay » Mon 08.06.2007 11:44 am

While reading a game site, I found a new RPG called Eternal Sonata. It has the ability to switch between Japanese and English voice. I wrote about it and embedded a video on my blog.

My question is, are there other games that allow you to switch languages? Seems like a fairly easy thing to do.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

RE: Multi-lingual games

Postby Krysta » Mon 08.06.2007 1:47 pm

I would love it if they would leave in the original Japanese voices and such and just make English (or any other language) optional instead of forcing the english on you.
Japanese is way better because IMHO they do the emotions and such alot better than most English do.
Just add some English subs. I do hope that there will me more of this.
Krysta

Postby clay » Mon 08.06.2007 2:47 pm

Definitely. Does anyone know of any other upcoming games that allow Japanese and English voices?
clay
Site Admin

Postby SirFirestorm » Mon 08.06.2007 3:39 pm

It is an easy thing to just switch between them but the glaring question would be if a company would be willing to pay two sets of voice actors to do the voices. Probably because the fanbase cares about these things a lot more these days.

I don't really know of any upcoming releases but I do remember the Onimusha series had a subtitled or an english dub option. Devil May Cry also had that.
SirFirestorm

Postby saraLynne » Mon 08.06.2007 3:51 pm

Some of the Dynasty Warriors/Samurai Warriors games had the option to use Japanese or English voices. I could probably compile a list with a minimal amount of effort but I haven't any time right now. If someone hasn't done it by tomorrow, I'll make one up.

@SirFirestorm -- please realize that most of these games are made in Japan and already have Japanese voice tracks, and when they are ported to US consoles, they are always given an english dub. So both voice tracks exist. Why they don't leave both in more frequently is a mystery.... unless it's for saving disc space..?
saraLynne

Postby clay » Mon 08.06.2007 4:18 pm

Right, I'm talking about Japanese games that are dubbed into English. The Japanese track exists already.

SaraLynne, that would be great if you listed other games like this one. We can make a page for it or post it in WagaWiki.
clay
Site Admin

Postby UpHand » Mon 08.06.2007 4:40 pm

Allot of times it's a matter of disc space: they need bigger more expensive discs to fit both audio tracks.
For instance Disgaea 1 on the Playstation 2. In the US it was a DVD with both audio tracks, while in Europe it was a CDRom with English audio only.
Later when they released Disgaea 2 in Europe they did keep the Japanese audio.

Also, most fighting games either have Japanese voice acting standard, or you can turn it on in the option menu.
Igiari! Because there's a contradiction in every internet statement.
UpHand

Postby hungryhotei » Mon 08.06.2007 4:56 pm

All of the sonic games (European releases) I have played recently have been in both Japanese and English with voices and text in both languages (Secret of the rings on the Wii, rush, sonic adventure 2).

The phoenix Wright/逆転裁判 series on the DS (Japanese releases) except for 4 have also had both English and Japanese options, although there is very little speech in the games, it is all text.
天気がいいから、散歩しましょう。
hungryhotei

Native language: English

Postby SirFirestorm » Mon 08.06.2007 6:32 pm

Oh :oops: I should've realized you were talking about games brought over with japanese tracks.

hmmm I think it might something close to anime where US companies dub over it to appeal more to their target audience. The target audience is changing and fans want more of the original stuff. Or might be just disk space, but with the next gen consoles I don't think that's really a problem anymore.
SirFirestorm

Return to Games