Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - ね in other languages?

ね in other languages?

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

ね in other languages?

Postby leergierig » Sat 08.11.2007 4:52 am

Hi everyone,

I am a bit curious about the use of "ne" in other languages. I know that we use it in Afrikaans in much the same way that it is used in Japanese. In fact, I know of people in certain areas (Pretoria comes to mind here), who almost abuse the word. As an example:

Jy weet, ne... Ek het so lank laas gaan fliek, ne... Hierdie Saterdag, ne... moet ons regtig weer 'n bietjie gaan, ne.

or in English

You know, ne... I went to the movies so long ago, ne... This Saturday, ne... we should really go, ne.

Perhaps some of our Dutch forum members can help me here. Does in happen in the Netherlands as well, or is this something that was assimilated into Afrikaans at a later stage?

(I posted this in the general off topic section. I hope this is okay.)
leergierig

RE: ね in other languages?

Postby JaySee » Sat 08.11.2007 6:06 am

No we don't really say that at all (in standard dutch at least, dont know about dialects).

You can say "hè" at the end of sentences though, which happens quite often in colloquial speech and in meaning comes quite close to Japanese "ne"... but people don't really use it as a stopgap similar to the example you gave (even though it is sometimes used in the middle of sentences as well to get the lestener's attention on something).
JaySee

Native language: Dutch

Postby Gundaetiapo » Sat 08.11.2007 8:53 am

You know, ne... I went to the movies so long ago, ne... This Saturday, ne... we should really go, ne.

This sounds more like an English ecolect or non American dialect to me. What part of the world did you hear this?

This thread may interest you.
Last edited by Gundaetiapo on Sat 08.11.2007 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gundaetiapo

Native language: English

Postby tanuki » Sat 08.11.2007 9:53 am

I have never heard anyone using "ne" like that in Spanish. It would be terribly annoying. A few people abuse "¿no?", though.

Y me dijo, ¿no?, que le iba a decir, ¿no?, pero al final no le dijo. Nada que ver, ¿no?

And she told me, right, that she was gonna tell him, right, but in the end she didn't. Ridiculous, right?
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby JaySee » Sat 08.11.2007 9:58 am

Gundaetiapo wrote:

This sounds more like an English ecolect or non American dialect to me. What part of the world did you hear this?

This thread may interest you.

I think that sentence was a translation of what he wrote in Afrikaans, not something he actually heard somewhere.
JaySee

Native language: Dutch

Postby jziemba » Sat 08.11.2007 9:59 am

I think I have heard Koreans use it too I'm not sure if it means the same thing though. But I do know they use "yo" at the end of alot of sentences.
Too Hot
Too Upper
Too Happy
To Relax
jziemba

Return to General off topic