Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - what about kanji first?

what about kanji first?

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

what about kanji first?

Postby LotusCharmer » Wed 09.14.2005 3:04 pm

Ok this is one more of those "what do you think its better" (I need to see the diferent opinions to get my conclusion) threads.

So... I can already recognise the meaning of around ~60 kanji (can't write half and I only know the sound of a few).
The thing is I don't know any grammar nor vocabulary.
I can recognise the kanji for shine or burn or save whatever but can't even say "I hate rice".
(again So...) So... is this a problem? is it okay if i learn, say 200 kanji and ~then~ go for the vocabs and frase grammar? or the other way around has more advantages?

-regards
\"Cultivate your hunger before you idealize/
Motivate your anger to make them all realize

-Wind, Akeboshi
LotusCharmer

RE: what about kanji first?

Postby AaRoN » Wed 09.14.2005 3:10 pm

learn hiagara first...then katakana...then kanji
And also dont forget about the grammar as well
I don't understand.......Why can't i fly????
AaRoN

Postby LotusCharmer » Wed 09.14.2005 4:36 pm

I've learned all Kana. I want to know if its okay to go directly to kanji without dropping by speech first. (At least ill know a lot of whats written when it's kanji).

-Wind, Akeboshi
LotusCharmer

Postby AaRoN » Wed 09.14.2005 4:45 pm

i think that u should learn grammar next then u hcan speak some.....but dont rush into kanji and not know how to use them...u need to no grammar too.
I don't understand.......Why can't i fly????
AaRoN

Postby LotusCharmer » Wed 09.14.2005 4:53 pm

Cheers. thx, maybe I'll go learn the basics first then. :p

Edit:spelling
Last edited by LotusCharmer on Wed 09.14.2005 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Wind, Akeboshi
LotusCharmer

Postby skrhgh3b » Wed 09.14.2005 5:08 pm

well, here are my my two cents:

vocabulary and grammar are the two most important things you will have to learn, and you should start there. without the ability to speak and comprehend words and arrange them in a grammatically meaningful way, you won't be able to communicate beyond pointing and grunting, let alone make sense of what you read. that being said, since most of us wish to be literate as well, you should also be learning reading skills roughly commensurate to your oral communication skills. beginners should start with the two kana alphabets (i would recommend hiragana first unless you're planning to be in japan in the very near future, in which case katakana will be more immediately usefull), and then procede to kanji. you won't need kanji to communicate, only to read increasingly difficult material. i'm currently learning kanji at a rate of four a week day.
Last edited by skrhgh3b on Wed 09.14.2005 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skrhgh3b

Postby Kates » Wed 09.14.2005 8:17 pm

Why not study them all at once...? A bit at a time...? If you self-study, make a schedule; Mon/Wed is grammar, Tues is kanji, Thrus is vocab, Fri is review or something like that.

After starting with the kana, then learning a few kanji... I think learners should go right in and start with a little bit of everything.
Kates

Postby Daichi » Thu 09.15.2005 6:39 am

I agree with kates, I find it best to study different aspects of the language in parallel. I couldn't imagine saying "right, this month I'm doing kanji, and next maybe some vocab..." etc., etc.

Each day I spend 30-60 minutes on speech/vocab (ie. Pimsleur), and on top of that I spend whatever time I can with reading/writing practice. As for grammar - well, I haven't yet found a structured way of learning that yet, so I'm just learning bits and pieces when the opportunity arises.
Daichi

Postby redfoxer » Thu 09.15.2005 8:26 am

if you study just kanji, the only use that would be without the grammer and vocab, would litterally just to recognise kanji. you might have a few lucky guesses at what a sentence would make but you wouldnt be able to compose your own (lack of grammer to place the kanji in the correct places in a sentence) and conjuguate them into present/past/future whatever tenses (learning actual vocabulary). Its like a ninja only learning to kick. Sure he can kick pretty dam well but what use is it in a fight with a sword. my cents, learn them all bit by bit. sure it might feel slow but you'll realise from time to time you've actually learnt alot.
日本語はとても面白いと思いますよ!私は日本語が大好きです!
redfoxer

Postby Daichi » Fri 09.16.2005 6:58 am

Well said, Red, and I love the ninja analogy!
Daichi

Postby LotusCharmer » Fri 09.16.2005 7:10 am

Well thx for all the answers. I sugested this because while learning ONLY the meaning of the kanjis i could do like 20 a day (until the 200 that is), so it wouldn't take much time. Only after those 200 would i drop by the reading/speach and start ~really~ learning japanese ^-^.
But i guess your right, mixing all toghether is better and I will do so for now on.
thx for helping me made up my mind and i really appreciated your comments.
THX everyone :).

-Wind, Akeboshi
LotusCharmer

Postby Kates » Fri 09.16.2005 11:03 am

You're welcome, and good luck in your studies! XD
Ganbatte, ne!
Kates

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems