Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Still not confident in grammar usage

Still not confident in grammar usage

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Still not confident in grammar usage

Postby Bulgar » Thu 08.02.2007 9:57 pm

I feel that I have a good idea of Japanese grammar, but I always get the nagging feeling that everything I write in Japanese is completely wrong. So I wrote this little thing to help. It is not a real letter to a real person --- just something I thought would be a little fun.

了くん、

お元気ですか? 私は元気だと言いたいけど、それは違う。説明できない犯罪の急増は私の近所全体がいきなり現れた。すでに、私の家は二回泥棒に入られていた。この問題はまき散らしてあなたが傷つく事の危険があるかもから、心配です。気をつけて。

はやて
だってばよ。
Bulgar

RE: Still not confident in grammar usage

Postby a_iwai » Sun 08.05.2007 2:03 am

"近所全体がいきなり現れた。"

I feel it "suddenly, the near by my house were appeared".
In this case, to use "で" or "に" is better, I think.

お元気ですか?私は元気だと言いたいところですが、最近嫌なことがあって落ち込んでいます。どうしてなのかわかりませんが、私の近所で犯罪が急増しているようです。すでに私の家は二回、泥棒の被害に遭っています。この問題が拡散して、あなたにまで被害が及ぶのではないかと心配しています。どうかお気をつけて下さい。

It is better to use "desu/masu" style in a letter written in Japanese.
a_iwai

Postby Bulgar » Sun 08.19.2007 10:55 pm

Here is another little "composition." Please clearly mark any corrections.

鉛筆よりシャープペンの方がいい

私はシャープペンで書く事を好みます。
長い間、普通な鉛筆で書いた。消し事が易しかったけど、先端は鈍くなったので、頻繁な鮮鋭化がいつも必要でした。一方で、シャープペンの先端はいつも鋭いままでした。先端がすり減らすのに、執筆の厚さも不変でこぎれい。
しかし、弱点がある。芯は壊れやすい。特に0.5mmの物で、少し注意深く書かないといけません。加えて、芯は使い果たせる。たくさんの新しい芯を買わないといけません。だけど、鉛筆は短くなってシャープペンはしない。

それはシャープペンを好む訳です。
だってばよ。
Bulgar

Postby adam » Sun 08.19.2007 11:16 pm

Be careful not to switch between casual and polite so much.
adam

Postby Bulgar » Mon 08.20.2007 12:30 am

Bulgar wrote:

鉛筆よりシャープペンの方がいい

私はシャープペンで書く事を好みます。
長い間、普通な鉛筆で書いた。消し事が易しかったけど、先端は鈍くなったので、頻繁な鮮鋭化がいつも必要でした。一方で、シャープペンの先端はいつも鋭いままでした。先端がすり減らすのに、執筆の厚さも不変でこぎれい。
しかし、弱点がある。芯は壊れやすい。特に0.5mmの物で、少し注意深く書かないといけません。加えて、芯は使い果たせる。たくさんの新しい芯を買わないといけません。だけど、鉛筆は短くなってシャープペンはしない。

それはシャープペンを好む訳です。

Corrections:

鉛筆よりシャープペンの方がいい

私はシャープペンで書く事を好みます。
長い間、普通な鉛筆で書いた。消し事が易しかったけど、先端は鈍くなりましたので、頻繁な鮮鋭化がいつも必要でした。一方で、シャープペンの先端はいつも鋭いままでした。先端がすり減らしますのに、執筆の厚さも不変でこぎれい。
しかし、弱点があります。芯は壊れやすい。特に0.5mmの物で、少し注意深く書かないといけません。加えて、芯は使い果たせます。たくさんの新しい芯を買わないといけません。だけど、鉛筆は短くなりましてシャープペンはしません

それはシャープペンを好む訳です。

How's this?
だってばよ。
Bulgar

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 08.20.2007 9:03 am

It's OK to use plain form in the middle of a sentence, like before ので and のに, and you don't need to use polite -te forms like なりまして. You can if you want, but it makes it really polite. What's mostly important is what comes at the end of the whole sentence.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Bulgar » Mon 08.20.2007 9:31 am

Bulgar wrote:

鉛筆よりシャープペンの方がいい

私はシャープペンで書く事を好みます。
長い間、普通な鉛筆で書いた。消し事が易しかったけど、先端は鈍くなりましたので、頻繁な鮮鋭化がいつも必要でした。一方で、シャープペンの先端はいつも鋭いままでした。先端がすり減らしますのに、執筆の厚さも不変でこぎれい。
しかし、弱点があります。芯は壊れやすい。特に0.5mmの物で、少し注意深く書かないといけません。加えて、芯は使い果たせます。たくさんの新しい芯を買わないといけません。だけど、鉛筆は短くなりましてシャープペンはしません

それはシャープペンを好む訳です。

More corrections:

鉛筆よりシャープペンの方がいい

私はシャープペンで書く事を好みます。
しかし、弱点があります。芯は壊れやすい。特に0.5mmの物で、少し注意深く書かないといけません。加えて、芯は使い果たせます。たくさんの新しい芯を買わないといけません。だけど、鉛筆は短くなってシャープペンはしません

それはシャープペンを好む訳です。
だってばよ。
Bulgar

Postby a_iwai » Tue 08.21.2007 6:42 am

Although I don't know the reason why, normally "普通な鉛筆" is not used in Japanese, and it is common to use "普通の鉛筆" instead of it.
"書いた"→"書いていました"

"消し事が易しかったけど"→"消す事は簡単だった(容易かった)けれど"

"先端は鈍くなったので"→"先端が鈍くなるので"
In this case, it is better not to use the past form, I think.

"鮮鋭" is a noun or a adjectival noun which is used for expressing "to see more clearly (for modifying a picture or something like this)". →"頻繁に削る必要がいつもありました。" (And "先鋭化する" means "be radicalized" or "become a radical".)
Note : "a pencil sharpener" is "鉛筆削り" in Japanese.

"先端がすり減らすのに、執筆の厚さも不変でこぎれい。"
Did you mean like this? ;"Even if the tip of it wears down, the thickness of the writing is steady and fine."
"先端がすり減っても、線の太さが変わらずに綺麗です。"

"しかし、弱点があります。芯は壊れやすい。"
It is grammatically correct, but to be elegant Japanese sentence, it might be better to avoid repeat of short sentence. →"しかし、シャープペンにも芯が折れやすいという欠点があります。"

"特に0.5mmの物で"→"特に0.5mmのものは(では)"

だけど、鉛筆は短くなってシャープペンはしません。→ "だけど、鉛筆は短くなりますが、シャープペンはなりません。"
"Although a pencil will become shortened, a mechanical pencil is not so."

If you wanted to express; "This is the reason why I like a mechanical pencil."
→"それで(私は)シャープペンを好むわけです。"

I think it was almost well written as Japanese sentences. At least, I could easily understand what you wanted to say. So, I'm sorry, some of my pointing might be overcorrection.
a_iwai

Postby Bulgar » Tue 08.21.2007 10:19 am

a_iwai wrote:

I think it was almost well written as Japanese sentences. At least, I could easily understand what you wanted to say. So, I'm sorry, some of my pointing might be overcorrection.

Don't worry about it. Your advice was very helpful. Feel free to correct me as you did whenever I write something else here, okay?
だってばよ。
Bulgar

Postby a_iwai » Tue 08.21.2007 11:34 am

Yes, I understood. I'm happy to hear it. I'm looking forward to your next post of Japanese.
a_iwai

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)