Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - JLPT level 3

JLPT level 3

The test - experiences, questions or comments

JLPT level 3

Postby realproxy » Fri 05.27.2005 11:48 pm

Hi everybody

I have been preparing for JLPT level3 and have been using Japanese for Busy People and Minna No Nihongo.But I prefer Minna No Nihongo to Japanese for busy people.Is it ok just to follow Minna No Nihongo I & II alone?Please help me.Thanks!
realproxy

RE: JLPT level 3

Postby sparky » Sun 09.18.2005 7:17 am

Hi! ^__^

I've been using Minna no Nihongo also, and I plan to take the JLPT 3 this year, too. I think it's pretty good, but my teacher told me that to take the test, you should know stuff that ranges from chapters 1-30 or so. *shrugs* I'm still on chapter 23 :(, but I did manage to pass test number 4 without knowing all the chapters I really needed, so who knows. :p

Anyway, I've also been studying a lot on my own: I've gotten vocab and kanji lists online from http://www.e-japanese.jp and grammar in general from http://www.theforeigner-japan.com/japanese101/.

I hope I've helped! And good luck with the test!
sparky

Postby lomagu » Sun 09.18.2005 8:16 am

I haven't used either, but I think the more variety the better. Even if books teach the same grammar points, it's nice to get different examples & different styles.

You should also check out the sites that have previous tests on them if you haven't already. You can get a feel for how much you know. 頑張ってください!:D
The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.☆-D.Adams
lomagu

Postby Kates » Sun 09.18.2005 2:29 pm

I'm getting read for 3kyuu as well, and am using this page for my references.

http://www.mlcjapanese.co.jp

It has vocab, kanji and grammar that has been used on past tests, since 1992--I'm finding it very helpful. (It's under FREE MATERIAL)
Last edited by Kates on Sun 09.18.2005 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kates

Postby lomagu » Tue 09.20.2005 6:08 am

wow Kates! You're doing level 3? I'm doing level 3 too, but your Japanese seems so much better than mine. Are you sure you shouldn't be doing level 2?

Does anyone know what the listening is like for 3 kyuu?
The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.☆-D.Adams
lomagu

Postby james_scoltock » Tue 09.20.2005 9:25 am

I took level 3 last year, (failed, but only because of the kanji), the listening was fine, in fact if you can do everything upto chapter 30 in the minna no nihongo books you should be fine. Practise compound kanji's though...
james_scoltock

Postby Kates » Tue 09.20.2005 10:38 am

lomagu: I have looked over 2kyuu's material and found that I only know about half of what I should for it. I've studied only about 500 kanji, and 2 requires 1,000ish; and I'm a bit behind on grammar--it's been a while since I've been in a classroom, which is where I learn best. While I keep up my Japanese, I'm a terrible self-studier. T_T I feel that at SOME point in my Japanese education, I was prepared for 2kyuu (for passing with at least the 70% it requires (right?))... but I could not take 2 confidently now. (And, this will be my first JLPT, so I'm not completely sure what to expect.)

The jump between 3 and 2 is so huge... and it disappoints me somewhat to 'settle' for taking 3 when I know that I'm somewhat ready for 2. I wish test-takers weren't required to PICK a level... My friend told me the TOEIC test (English ability) had no level... it just progressively gets harder, and your score reflects your ability. I wish the JLPT was more like that. ): But I have set myself to pass 3kyuu with as close to 100% as I can get. ^_^

--------------

As for the listening test (聴解(ちょうかい)), there are two parts to it, from all the practice test books I have seen. I'll use some examples from my books for you, lomagu, so you know what they will be like. (I highly suggest you find a practice test book, too... or maybe a site somewhere, so you don't walk in completely blind.)

The choukai section is 100 points, 35 minutes. The first part shows an image or a list of words or a sequence of words. You will hear a question and pick your answer.

The picture one is easy enough to understand--for example, you see a picture of a family and then you will hear the question:
男の人と女の人が写真を見ながら話しています。2人はどの写真を見ていますか?
So they want you to pick the photo they are looking at. Then you will hear the dialogue:
男: 娘も息子も背が変わらないでしょう。 (Musume mo musuko mo sei ga kawaranai deshou)
女: 息子さんがお兄さんですよね。 (Musuko-san ga onii-san desu yo ne)
男: ええ、娘が急に大きくなりましたね。もうすぐ家内と同じになるんじゃないかって、2人で話しているんです。 (Ee, musume ga kyuu ni ookiku narimashita ne. Mou sugu kanai to onaji ni narunjyanai katte, futari de hanashite-irun desu)
2人はどの写真を見ていますか。

So then you have to use that info to pick which photo they are looking at. You only hear this ONCE, so make sure you listen well. Also, check your answer book, or question book, to see if you can write on the paper to help you keep notes.

There are also lists of words to chose from, instead of pictures. Perhaps a husband and wife talk about a shopping trip, and the question will be "Where will the go first?"

There's one last kind, which is a difficult to explain, so I'll give an example. The 4 options are 4 different sequences of events (or something similar) and you will hear a conversation.

Sample question:
Here are the answer options:
1. 映画 → デパート → 食事 → 本屋 (eiga, depaato, shokuji, honya)
2. 映画 → 食事 → デパート → 本屋
3. 映画 → 食事 → 本屋 → デパート
4. 本屋 → 映画 → 食事 → デパート

Then you will hear:
男の人と女の人が話しています。 2人はこれからどの順番(じゅんばん)で行きますか。
女: 映画を見て、デパートで買い物ね。
男: 買い物、時間 (が) かかりそうだなぁ。その前に食事しようよ。
女: そうね。お昼ごろになるものね。
男: ね。食事のあと、ちょっと本屋さんへ寄ってもいい? (yotte mo ii)
女: うん、いいわよ。
2人はこれからどの順番で行きますか。

So you choose which number correspond with their plans.
My book has 13 of these questions, so I asume (if that isn't exactly correct) there are 10-15 of these.

OKAY. Then there's part two. It is ONLY listening--there are no pictures or answers or ANYTHING written on your test booklet. You will hear a conversation or monologue, and then you will hear your four answer options. On your answer sheet, you will mark ALL FOUR circles: one with the right answer, and the other three with the three wrong answers. My test books all have a small area of paper you can use for notes, so I'm guessing the real JLPT has this, too.

Any more questions about it? ^^; I hope that didn't sound too intimidating. Like james says, it's not that tough--if you have good listening skills. *I* don't think they speak too fast--and the speeches are usually pretty simple.
Kates

Postby skrhgh3b » Wed 09.21.2005 12:53 am

i know i'll ace level 4 no sweat, but i probably won't be prepared for level 3 vocab and kanji by december - that leaves me in a weird limbo between the two levels. if the test were in the summer and not the winter, no problem, but what can you do? i guess i only have a couple more weeks to decide which level to take....
Last edited by skrhgh3b on Wed 09.21.2005 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
skrhgh3b

Postby lomagu » Wed 09.21.2005 6:21 am

Thanks Kates! That was a long post.. I appreciate it :D

Now all I have to do is start studying... :(
(勉強したくないもん!)
lomagu

Postby skrhgh3b » Wed 09.21.2005 1:18 pm

yeah, my grammar knowledge is definitely level 3, and i'm sure i could tackle the kanji as well, but i'm just not sure i could commit that much vocabulary to memory in time. vocabulary is my weakest area, i think, and i don't want to pass the test with a borderline C anyway - i want a solid A. maybe if all i was studying this semester was japanese, but.... i'm just not sure.
skrhgh3b

Postby Kates » Wed 09.21.2005 2:51 pm

Aw, lomagu... 勉強は楽しくない? XD You're welcome for the long post. I hope it wasn't too much info... but I really couldn't make it any shorter and get it all in! >.< I hope it was useful to you (and any others as well.)

I should go study too... >_>
Kates

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test