Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Crime in Japan

Crime in Japan

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Crime in Japan

Postby Infidel » Mon 08.27.2007 5:38 pm

As long as there is kill'n goin on, it's all good. Kill enthusiasm; kill conjecture, and their little dog too.
Last edited by Infidel on Mon 08.27.2007 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby AJBryant » Mon 08.27.2007 6:27 pm

Just watch out for buckets of water.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Hatori » Mon 08.27.2007 9:04 pm

I was listening to WGN morning news before school this morning and thinking about this thread... All of these crimes that would be left without notice in Japan... Some of the stuff they show on the news is sort of stupid, now that I think about it.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby chikara » Mon 08.27.2007 9:39 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
Was wall of text what done it?

That belongs in the T-Shirts thread :D

Mike Cash wrote:
I thought it was the old facts-kill-enthusiasm-for-conjecture thingy.

Pretty much so.

HatakeSage wrote:
Interesting, i have always wondered bout' this too.
But how come american papers have nothing on the subject of crimes there? They are only interested in europe. :|

USA media is really only interested in what happens in the USA or to US citizens outside of the USA. Similar story here except not as bad (from my experience). If you want to know what is going on in the world you don't read papers aimed at an insular domestic audience.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Hatori » Mon 08.27.2007 9:49 pm

chikara wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:

Oh my God! For a t-shirt, we can have like, useless words and phrases that just say silly things (like that fat girls thread somebody made once...) printed ALL OVER the t-shirt. Mike, you are really good at this type of stuff.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby jinksys » Tue 08.28.2007 1:10 am

chikara wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:

Mike Cash wrote:
I thought it was the old facts-kill-enthusiasm-for-conjecture thingy.

Pretty much so.

HatakeSage wrote:
Interesting, i have always wondered bout' this too.
But how come american papers have nothing on the subject of crimes there? They are only interested in europe. :|

USA media is really only interested in what happens in the USA or to US citizens outside of the USA. Similar story here except not as bad (from my experience). If you want to know what is going on in the world you don't read papers aimed at an insular domestic audience.

Exactly. We don't really care. To most Americans the Japanese are responsible for making new video games and robots, and only want to hear about them when they do. Plus, Japanese Americans only make up 0.4% of the US population, so including random news just for them wouldn't make sense.
Hello? Internets?
jinksys

Postby burstandbloom » Tue 08.28.2007 2:35 am

I am still kinda lost here...
I'm sure it's not crime free, or even overwhelming like the safest place in the world.. And places like Tokyo being amongst the biggest cities in the world(is it the biggest in the world?), I would think that there's probably some crimes going down somewhere all the time some way or another to whatever degree.
And from what I read it sounds like it's pretty hard to accurately estimate crime rate and such, but I mean to people who are there from this forum, do you feel safe?
Do you encounter problems, do you see or know of "bad neighborhoods", do you hear/see a lot of things going down?
I know this doesn't really cover crime as a whole in Japan, and really only goes so far informatively, but from that perspective I am interested.
burstandbloom

Native language: 英語

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 08.28.2007 8:19 am

The concept of a "bad neighborhood" is pretty much entirely foreign to Japan, at least in the context of residential areas.

As a consequence, I think some Japanese tourists have trouble wrapping their minds around the idea that in other countries there are certain areas where the prudent traveler just does not go.

Remember the pair that drove up in a taxicab to the Church of the Nativity right in the middle of an armed stand-off?
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 08.28.2007 8:44 am

jinksys wrote:

Exactly. We don't really care. To most Americans the Japanese are responsible for making new video games and robots, and only want to hear about them when they do. Plus, Japanese Americans only make up 0.4% of the US population, so including random news just for them wouldn't make sense.

when making a blanket statement where you try to make a group of people look like asses, make sure everyone you are speaking for agrees with your opinion. otherwise, go ahead and just single yourself out and say "Exactly, I don't really care. etc etc etc." I don't share your sentiment and I imagine that quite a few agree with me. however, I will follow my own rule and say. "Speak for youself, I don't agree one bit with what you just said."
two_heads_talking

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 08.28.2007 9:00 am

The concept of a "bad neighborhood" is pretty much entirely foreign to Japan, at least in the context of residential areas.

It always seemed to me like zoning laws were either nonexistent or much laxer than in the US -- you see really expensive, nice houses right next to garages with rusting oil cans and cars. There seems to be no concept of a neighborhood or place where only rich people live...or at least not in Tochigi.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby jinksys » Tue 08.28.2007 1:38 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
jinksys wrote:

when making a blanket statement where you try to make a group of people look like asses, make sure everyone you are speaking for agrees with your opinion. otherwise, go ahead and just single yourself out and say "Exactly, I don't really care. etc etc etc." I don't share your sentiment and I imagine that quite a few agree with me. however, I will follow my own rule and say. "Speak for youself, I don't agree one bit with what you just said."

Again, we don't care. China, Iraq, EU. That's important. To anyone but us Japanophiles, Japan is not even on the radar. I wish it wasn't so, but I just call them like I sees em.
Hello? Internets?
jinksys

Postby Tspoonami » Tue 08.28.2007 5:56 pm

So what about all the rapists hiding in the shortcuts through dark areas between high school girls' homes and their schools?
Sometimes I think that I'm afraid of thinking, and that scares me.
Tspoonami

Postby jinksys » Tue 08.28.2007 6:06 pm

So what about all the rapists hiding in the shortcuts through dark areas between high school girls' homes and their schools?

Seems blown out of proportion to me.

Japan is #54 in rapes per capita.
0.017737 per 1,000 people, raped.

SRC: http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_r ... per-capita
Hello? Internets?
jinksys

Postby Tspoonami » Tue 08.28.2007 7:57 pm

jinksys wrote:

Apparently, someone hasn't been getting their recommended daily dosage of anime.
Sometimes I think that I'm afraid of thinking, and that scares me.
Tspoonami

Postby jinksys » Tue 08.28.2007 8:57 pm

Tspoonami wrote:
jinksys wrote:

Apparently, someone hasn't been getting their recommended daily dosage of anime.

Hmm...I see what you did there.
Hello? Internets?
jinksys

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan