Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How Long did it take you to learn Hiragana?

How Long did it take you to learn Hiragana?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

How Long did it take you to learn Hiragana?

Postby CelticNinja » Sun 09.02.2007 10:50 pm

Hello everybody.

I've been studying Japanese for nearly three weeks (twenty days exactly) and have almost gotted through all the Hiragana. I am really enjoying it. I learn a new row every few days or whenever I am pretty certain I all the characters I am currently working with are pretty much branded in my head. Everyday in my note book I wirte each character till the end of the line , then so on and so forth on the next line.

I was just wondering how long it took you to learn Hiragana? Alot of people seem to be able to do it in a matter of days which is pretty amazing. :o
LOL
CelticNinja

RE: How Long did it take you to learn Hiragana?

Postby keatonatron » Sun 09.02.2007 10:56 pm

One or two days.

Of course it takes a while to get used to them and to be able to read and write them all quickly and without stopping to think.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby spinizuey » Sun 09.02.2007 11:14 pm

It took me a week to learn hiragana, but i studied for at least a few hours a day. I have pages and pages of practice on square-grid paper. I still make mistakes (i only started studying japanese seriously a month ago), and stumble.. but i'm much faster now. I even write each syllabary every day as a warm-up. It also helps that both workbooks I'm using now are kana-based... and I got the Furigana dictionary to avoid romaji too.

I used this site: http://www.realkana.com each night to practice the kana I learned during the day. Easy reinforcement.
~~~~~~~
Spinizuey
(Kanji as of 10-28-07: 60)
spinizuey

Postby CelticNinja » Sun 09.02.2007 11:20 pm

OH THANK YOU SO MUCH! I was looking for a site just like that! I've been getting sick of my crappy hand made flash cards lol!
LOL
CelticNinja

Postby Teh_Freak » Sun 09.02.2007 11:43 pm

It took me about a week to memorize hiragana, reading it at a decent speed took much longer though.
リモコンがどこに置きましたか?
Teh_Freak

Postby Infidel » Sun 09.02.2007 11:55 pm

somewhere about 3 months or so. The common ones I got in the first week, but the rarer ones weren't reinforced often enough. By the time I would see ぬ again, I would have forgotten it and have to start over.

actually, after 10 years, I often forget how to write nu even though I can recognize it well enough. Just to give an example how rarely that is used, there is only one example of ぬ in 20 chapters of text, and then only because a word is listed in dictionary form.
Last edited by Infidel on Sun 09.02.2007 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby CelticNinja » Mon 09.03.2007 12:05 am

So nu Is very u(nu)sed? I'll remember that. :P
LOL
CelticNinja

Postby spinizuey » Mon 09.03.2007 1:06 am

Infidel wrote:

actually, after 10 years, I often forget how to write nu even though I can recognize it well enough. Just to give an example how rarely that is used, there is only one example of ぬ in 20 chapters of text, and then only because a word is listed in dictionary form.

That's a bummer.. because ぬ is my favorite hiragana to write :/
~~~~~~~
Spinizuey
(Kanji as of 10-28-07: 60)
spinizuey

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 09.03.2007 1:15 am

I was actually out with mono when my class started studying the kana, so I had to go back and learn them afterwards, on top of all my othe school work. It took me about 2 weeks to get all the kana to the "memorized" point, and a few months before I could use them without having to think too hard about any one kana.

However, ever after 13 years, I still get brain farts with kana. I've forgotten how to write mu before. My wife has also "forgotten" how to write the katakana he before, as she was trying to convince herself that it was not the same the hiragana one. :/
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Dehitay » Mon 09.03.2007 1:36 am

I memorized both hiragana and katakana in one week. The secret is to study at work behind your boss' back. It's the only time I would actually rather be studying >=D
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Mon 09.03.2007 2:30 am

Dehitay wrote:
I memorized both hiragana and katakana in one week. The secret is to study at work behind your boss' back. It's the only time I would actually rather be studying >=D

Agreed; especially when that boss treats you like crap >.<

I can't remember how long it took me to learn hiragana, but I remember I tried to not learn katakana, because someone had told me you don't need to know it and it just comes naturally or some kind of b.s. like that. I don't know why they said that or why I believed it, it sounds extremely stupid now.

So after about a year (yeah, took me that long >.<) I realize I really did need to memorize them and not just try to guess, it took me about a day or so, since I already actually did know a lot of them.
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby Infidel » Mon 09.03.2007 2:48 am

I can't remember how long it took me to learn hiragana, but I remember I tried to not learn katakana, because someone had told me you don't need to know it and it just comes naturally or some kind of b.s. like that. I don't know why they said that or why I believed it, it sounds extremely stupid now.

hehe, that's exactly how I learned katakana. It does come naturally if you are attempting to decipher Japanese texts.

Almost all of my learning is based off usage. I am very poor at learning tables. I still don't know all my ordinal numbers and days of the month, but I'm getting closer. I studied the tables for hours and could never remember them, but as I see them used in sentences I remember them pretty well.

For example, I only just yesterday learned 一日 because I saw it used by coco in a sentence. I've had that table sitting in front of me for over a decade and tsuitachi is the frelling very first item listed under days of the month, but it didn't matter. I still couldn't remember because it was dry data on a table. However, that time, since I saw it used in a sentence that I wanted to decipher, when I looked up the meaning---AGAIN!--I remembered it so well I don't think I'll ever forget it again.

Example sentences don't really help me much either. It has to come at me cold in a RL usage, but when it does, my memory goes from erattic and nearly useless to extremely effective if It is a reinforcement of a previously studied item.
Last edited by Infidel on Mon 09.03.2007 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby makisuki » Mon 09.03.2007 6:45 am

I'm very surprised by your answers because it only took me 30 minutes or 1 hour to know by heart every hiragana :o
makisuki

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 09.03.2007 6:47 am

makisuki wrote:
I'm very surprised by your answers because it only took me 30 minutes or 1 hour to know by heart every hiragana :o

Well, maybe Jesus just loves you more than He does the rest of us.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby Infidel » Mon 09.03.2007 7:16 am

makisuki wrote:

I think you're surprised because you forget that everyone is different.

It's all trade offs. There are many different things the brain can do, but in toto it all comes out about the same for everyone. Being really good at one thing generally means you are equally weak somewhere else, or your weakness is divided across all your other abilities.

Generally, if the weakness is great enough, the extra strength in one area is used to compensate for the difference in another, so it still averages out.

Learning, by heart, all that in 1 hour is NOT normal. That means you have a superior ability--but that means that you are weak somewhere else where I am strong.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Next

Return to Japanese General Discussion