Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - three translation questions

three translation questions

Do you have a translation question?

three translation questions

Postby roomwithamoose » Sun 09.18.2005 3:05 pm

Hello!

How would one say "I will not." in Japanese? For example someone may say I will sing a song. Then they'll say, actually, I won't. Maybe an equivelent of the english "never mind"?

Next, is there any word for the word "it"?

Lastly, if someone tells you to do something like take out the garbage, and you want to say I will (in the future, not right away), is there anyway to say that?

Thanks so much!
Last edited by roomwithamoose on Sun 09.18.2005 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roomwithamoose

RE: three translation questions

Postby Kates » Mon 09.19.2005 10:02 am

As far as I know, there is no 'real translation' for the word "nevermind" in Japanese. There IS "kangae ga kawaru" (考えが変わる)- to change one's mind, though. I suppose the woman might say:
Utaimasu (I will sing.) [later] Kangae ga kawarimasu. Utaimasen. (I've changed my mind. I will not [sing].)

As for "it"... I think only 'sore' 'kore' and 'are' are equivalent.

In Japanese, there really is no PAST, PRESENT and FUTURE tenses, like in English (I did, I do, I will do). There is NON-PAST and PAST. By saying: gomi wo suteru (ゴミを捨てる) implies that it will be done. Other words/phrases like "in a moment" or "after this show" etc would also give more meaning to the actual TIME you are thinking of taking out the garbage.
Wife: あなた? ゴミを捨ててくれるか? (Honey? Can you take out the garbage for me?)
Husband: うん、ゲーム後で、捨てる。 (Sure, [I will take it out] after the game.)

^_^ I hope my married couple convo is not too off... >_>
Kates

Postby skrhgh3b » Mon 09.19.2005 1:31 pm

hm... whenever i want to say nevermind in japanese, as in "hey, just forget about it, will you?"... i'll say either 気にしない or なんでもない - maybe not perfect translations, but the japanese seem to use them in similar circumstances in my limited experience at least. hope that helps.
skrhgh3b

Postby Kates » Mon 09.19.2005 1:54 pm

I don't think "ki ni shinai" and "nandemonai" would be good phrases to use in the situation described. I would translate those two as: Don't worry about it/mind --and-- It wasn't anything/Nothing, really. Those phrases you gave sound more like two people talking:

A-san says something, B-san says "what did you say?" and A-san replies: "Ki ni shinai(de) / (betsu ni) nandemonai."

I don't believe they are used to say things like "actually, nevermind" (as in, I was going to tell you/do something but now I'm not").
Kates

Postby skrhgh3b » Mon 09.19.2005 4:39 pm

thanks for clarifying that.
skrhgh3b

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion