Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Study Group (Beginners and Upper-Beginners)

Study Group (Beginners and Upper-Beginners)

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Study Group (Beginners and Upper-Beginners)

Postby sei » Thu 09.06.2007 4:50 pm

(We weren't sure which sub forum was the best to put this thread in, so if it is in the wrong forum we'd appreciate if it was moved to a correct one.)

Recently, as some of you might have noticed, the JLPT 4級 Study Group ended, mainly because of a lack of participation. As Valatunda and I were thinking of "reviving" it, we had a better idea. We could create a group for every beginner and upper beginner who would like to participate, and not only those who are taking the JLPT 4級. This way the group would have better participation and would improve greatly upon the last.

We noticed some flaws with the previous group and are going to try to improve things in this new group, so there is a better relationship between everyone.

For starters, some things should be cleared and explained properly - Moderators are just like anyone else, only that they offered to be responsible for keeping order in the chatroom. They are NOT teachers. They are students like everyone else and are by no means experts in Japanese. And to really help this becoming a good group anyone can try and keep order, by watching their language and trying to keep arguments in the room to a minimum.

So what is this group really about? Let me explain.

Sometimes, when studying a foreign language (and especially one as hard as Japanese), it is easy to start losing motivation when we look at the task ahead of us. Being so, many find it easier when studying with others, because in a group it is much easier to keep one another motivated.

So the main point of this group is to be a place where people can come and study together, ask questions on problems they have and help others study.

Hopefully, with the updates to TJP we will be able to set up an organic group, which will make things easier and much more fun!

Also, if anyone has a concern about the group, please feel free to state so and ask any question you might have.

Hope everyone has fun!

Note: Please state the time and days when you'd be available for a meeting if you join the group, so we can organize the meeting time as soon as possible.

Edit: Minor changes to the text.
Last edited by sei on Thu 09.06.2007 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sei

Native language: Portuguese

RE: Study Group (Beginners and Upper-Beginners)

Postby wststreet » Thu 09.06.2007 5:08 pm

Hmm... good idea, so what are the requirements to join?
wststreet

Postby clay » Thu 09.06.2007 5:09 pm

Sounds like a good plan. Ganbatte!

Hopefully, with the updates to TJP we will be able to set up an organic group, which will make things easier and much more fun!

Yep. That will be nice.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby SirFirestorm » Thu 09.06.2007 6:12 pm

Sounds like a great idea. I was not taking the test so I had less interest in the JLPT4 group, but a general study group looks to be an interesting addition to the site in the future. I look forward to working with you. =)

I am in GMT -5, with daylight savings it is -4. I am available most nights 8-12am EST.
Last edited by SirFirestorm on Fri 09.07.2007 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SirFirestorm

Postby spinizuey » Thu 09.06.2007 6:54 pm

I would be interested in a beginner/upper beginner study group as well. I'm usually available in the evenings to late night during the week... (9pm-2am EST).

It seems like the studying could take a more broad approach without worrying about a test.
~~~~~~~
Spinizuey
(Kanji as of 10-28-07: 60)
spinizuey

Postby Tspoonami » Thu 09.06.2007 7:07 pm

I'm generally available daily from around 7 to 10 PM EST, and would love to be part of a study group. If I can't make it to all 'meetings,' I'll at least pop in often to say hello.
Sometimes I think that I'm afraid of thinking, and that scares me.
Tspoonami

Postby Jumpman » Thu 09.06.2007 7:34 pm

I guess I could join. :)

Any set meeting time for the group?
Jumpman

Postby terence_hideyoshi » Fri 09.07.2007 1:39 am

Count me in too.
terence_hideyoshi

Postby Valatunda » Fri 09.07.2007 4:55 am

wststreet wrote:
Hmm... good idea, so what are the requirements to join?

There are no requirements. However, if you so wish, you can state the time and days you are available, which will help us set up a meeting.

Jumpman wrote:
I guess I could join.

Any set meeting time for the group?

Not yet. We can decide that when many have stated their available time.

I am really pleased with the interest so far.
Valatunda

Native language: 英語

Postby wststreet » Fri 09.07.2007 5:25 am

Well my program is undefined, i like to think of it as.. priorities.. but i haven't set any priorities so it's kinda complicated.. So.. Can someone help me convert to EST?
My timezone is GMT+2 i wake up at 12-2 PM while on vacation and go to sleep around 12-3 AM depending on how sleepy i am.. but since school is starting on the 15th of september i'll be home at 4 PM and go to sleep at 11 PM (i wrote all times GMT +2, i hope you'll understand, sorry)
wststreet

Postby NZJutsu » Fri 09.07.2007 6:47 am

I'm also interested :D My timezone is GMT + 12 though.... Could be a potential problem.... Why don't we organise meetings around Japanese time? Assuming it's 3 hours everywhere in Japan, I actually have no idea ^.^
NZJutsu

Postby sei » Fri 09.07.2007 10:34 am

What we were planning to do was gather everyone's timezone and available hours and then select an hour that was good for everyone. This, depending on everyone's timezone and available schedules could eventually cause some problems with some, if the hour we are able to find isn't a proper hour for everyone and just for some...

But this hasn't happened before, so we're hoping it won't happen now. :)

So if everyone can give their times and available schedules, it would be a great help as we could start selecting some hours that were good for all.
Questions? Feel free to ask. :)
sei

Postby Spikeygal » Fri 09.07.2007 11:33 am

I'm interested in joining in, too. :) I had trouble getting to the last few JLPT 4 study group sessions though, because of vacations and such, so I apologise for that. I'm GMT +1 right now. A Saturday would probably be best for me because I've got school commitments (yay, exam year).

Hurray for a new study group. :D
Spikeygal

Postby Hatori » Fri 09.07.2007 6:05 pm

When the website updates, we have like classrooms where admins teach lower members Japanese lessons and be sort of like mentors and junk... That'd be cool if there was an organized session thing.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

Postby sei » Fri 09.07.2007 7:10 pm

Update

So we thought it would be good if we started working as a group from the very beginning. Meaning...now. ;)

What we would like would be for everyone to give their opinion on the group and share some ideas they might have for the group.

But first, it would probably be best for me to share the idea we already have for how the meetings would go (don't let this be a limitation for your opinions and ideas though, it is after all, just an idea as well and can be replaced if something betters comes up).

So what we were thinking was: You, when the time of the meeting is set, would post here on the thread (and eventually on the organic group) things you would like to discuss on the meeting. We would set up a time, for example, of one or two days, on which these posts could be done. And then, we would select the subject, from those posted, to be discussed on the meeting.

The subject could be anything. Such as, difficult grammar problems that you might have, some exercises that you tried resolving and couldn't... Anything, as long as it is related to Japanese (at the beginner and upper beginner level).

So please, give your opinions and ideas to improve the group.

Also, one question I would like to ask every participant: How many meetings per week should be held?
My personal vote is for one, as I believe it would be easier to select the topics for discussion, as well as not interfere too much with everyone's personal life. Of course, with the new ideas that you will certainly give, I might change my vote. =P

Happy studying everyone!
Questions? Feel free to ask. :)
sei

Next

Return to Japanese General Discussion