Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Public baths o.O

Public baths o.O

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Public baths o.O

Postby Igirisu_gaz » Tue 09.11.2007 4:44 am

StarvingMusician wrote:
Another instance that has come to mind. Japanese people, they clean themselves before going into a tub don't they?

Depends on the person, but they do have that habit, generally because most families will share bathwater and it's pretty disgusting if you're 3rd or 4th in line after everyone else has washed the grime of the day off.
Last edited by Igirisu_gaz on Tue 09.11.2007 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Igirisu_gaz

Postby keatonatron » Tue 09.11.2007 5:15 am

StarvingMusician wrote:
Another instance that has come to mind. Japanese people, they clean themselves before going into a tub don't they?

Japanese people are very good about cleaning very thoroughly at a public bath. My friends have said that in their own houses, though, they often just jump in.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 09.11.2007 9:51 am

Infidel wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:
that also brings up the similar onsen to ofuro comparisons. how many people have jumped in the ofuro and started lathering up, to be told that you wash before entering and soak and relax in the ofuro?

Your first few trips, you should wash before and after while your body adjusts to the different bathing conditions.

Unfortunately, the same thing happens at Spas in the US.

maybe this is something unique to the US spas, as it seems our friends in Japan just don't get it.

here, let me spell it out even more. no, I won't. If you don't get it, you don't get it. sorry.
two_heads_talking

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 09.11.2007 9:54 am

Pianogirl123 wrote:

also, i read somewhere that some onsens are only available to japanese people (suppossedly to keep out westerners with bad bathing habits) is that true?

There are onsens that do restrict non-Japanese from entering. They are usually the exception rather than the rule. The ones that I ran into that were Japanese only were usually in very out of the way areas in small communities.
two_heads_talking

Postby caroline » Tue 09.11.2007 11:38 am

Some impressions :
a) as I'm clearly non japanese, it has been explained to me lots of times the proper way to use ofuro, onsen, rotemburo; I've given up trying to explain that I think I've mastered the etiquette... and smile politely
b)I've never been turned out, even in remote places... but I've been watched, as to make sure I would not behave badly (or for another reason)
c)It's often and most of times pleasant and relaxing, except on special occasions, as the teacher's one : I remember having been the unwilling object of comparative anatomy... but that's not too often and there is the possibility of leaving.
d) It's really great when it's quite cold outside, quite warm in the water, the stars are shining and you have good company...
caroline

Native language: Français

Postby Kagemaru » Tue 09.11.2007 12:24 pm

I rarely bathe at home.

For ¥200 (shampoo, soap, towel included) a night, it's cheaper at the bath house than at home.

Of course, it's a bath house 銭湯 and by no means 和倉温泉, but it's great to hang out with the regulars too.
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby burstandbloom » Tue 09.11.2007 1:19 pm

keatonatron wrote:
omfg they r so scary liek u go in and have to get nekked in front of all these peple then they laf at u

But seriously, what do you want us to say that you can't find on google? Yes, there are public baths. It's just like going to the swimming pool except it's shallow, you do it naked and there's seperate ones for men and women.

Wait..................How does that make it anything like going to the swimming pool then?
burstandbloom

Native language: 英語

Postby john2 » Tue 09.11.2007 1:37 pm

Kagemaru wrote:
I rarely bathe at home.

For ¥200 (shampoo, soap, towel included) a night, it's cheaper at the bath house than at home.

Of course, it's a bath house 銭湯 and by no means 和倉温泉, but it's great to hang out with the regulars too.

Oo were i live… you'd save alot of money if you go chinese/thai/vietnamese/japaanese/korean/indian going by chepaest you will get the best offer in…… the country per atomic unit of food.
Last edited by john2 on Tue 09.11.2007 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john2

Postby Infidel » Tue 09.11.2007 3:04 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
Infidel wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:
that also brings up the similar onsen to ofuro comparisons. how many people have jumped in the ofuro and started lathering up, to be told that you wash before entering and soak and relax in the ofuro?

Your first few trips, you should wash before and after while your body adjusts to the different bathing conditions.

Unfortunately, the same thing happens at Spas in the US.

maybe this is something unique to the US spas, as it seems our friends in Japan just don't get it.

here, let me spell it out even more. no, I won't. If you don't get it, you don't get it. sorry.

My point was that there are idiots everywhere not just at ofuros. Spas and Pools in the US are not bathtubs, but there are people that treat them as such. There's even a shower stall near both to rinse off before getting in, which many don't use even though there is a sign. Instead comming in off the beach covered in sand and jumping in the pool or spa. It is particularly absurd when people start dumping bubble bath in the spa and I have to chase them out. But It's sad when the bottom of the spa has about 1-2 inches of sand in the bottom of the spa, and actually shows ripple patterns on the bottom of the pool due to the number of idiots that just don't get it.
Last edited by Infidel on Tue 09.11.2007 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 09.11.2007 4:33 pm

your point is the same as my point infidel. but in trying to make it humorous, I believe I left a few people not familiar with that humor in the lurch. it's ok, they get Japanese humor and I don't. In the end I don't keep going around saying.. HUH? what? duh!!!!
Last edited by two_heads_talking on Tue 09.11.2007 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
two_heads_talking

Postby Infidel » Tue 09.11.2007 4:44 pm

I make going around saying, "HUH? what? duh!!!" an art form.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby chikara » Tue 09.11.2007 8:26 pm

john2 wrote:
Oo were i live… you'd save alot of money if you go chinese/thai/vietnamese/japaanese/korean/indian going by chepaest you will get the best offer in…… the country per atomic unit of food.

WTF ????

Are you saying that where you live there are chinese/thai/vietnamese/japaanese/korean/indian bath houses?

Or is this just another case of your off topic ramblings?
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby StarvingMusician » Wed 09.12.2007 3:26 am

Wow. . .I want to dirty up an onsen now. Just to make the japanese love us gaijin more :D
StarvingMusician

Postby lame_duck » Wed 09.12.2007 4:00 am

I always wanted to visit one just to see the reactions I would get. I'm 6"2', dark complected, tattooed, and often get mistake for being half Asian. (If I hear one more Nicholas Tse comment, I'm getting plastic surgery.) Then again, the Japanese are a reserved people and would probably just avoid me all together than to try to speak to me. *EDIT: Yea, this is me being a moron. lol I don't like to scare people, but it's interesting to see peoples reactions sometimes. ;p*

But more on topic, I'd imagine these places wouldn't be much more embarrassing/confusing as the open showers we have here in the states. You know, the cheap-arse showers in EVERY gym in the country. I hate them things... I think I'd rather bath then jump in water than stand in a shower for 30 minutes while people constantly walk-by and "anciently" try to come in. Dang showers... *shakes fist*
Last edited by lame_duck on Wed 09.12.2007 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
I\'m far from perfect, so forgive me for my faults.
lame_duck

Postby john2 » Wed 09.12.2007 4:22 am

chikara wrote:
john2 wrote:

WTF ????

Are you saying that where you live there are chinese/thai/vietnamese/japaanese/korean/indian bath houses?

Or is this just another case of your off topic ramblings?

talking about food! I was ontopic of saving money.

StarvingMusician wrote:
Wow. . .I want to dirty up an onsen now. Just to make the japanese love us gaijin more :D

Don't please our reputation is obviously spoiled enougth. as gaijin that is
Last edited by john2 on Wed 09.12.2007 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
john2

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan