Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 3 endings I don't understand

3 endings I don't understand

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

3 endings I don't understand

Postby turonkusu » Tue 09.20.2005 11:29 am

I was recently reviewing some words here they are

Mayoinagarademo -- The verb that belongs to it is "Mayoikomu which means to go astray. but what does "-nagarademo" stand for
迷いながらでも −− 迷い込む

arukidashite -- well this one by the ending I suppose is a verb "-dashita" correct me if I'm wrong
歩き出して

Finally: Homerarerunoga - Which seems to come from the verb "homeru" to praise, again; what does "-rarerunoga" stand for.
誉められるのが −− 誉める
turonkusu

RE: 3 endings I don't understand

Postby Spaztick » Tue 09.20.2005 11:51 am

ほめられる means able to be praise, praiseworthy (it's the potential form of the verb). I'm guessing that ほめられるのが would be talking about something mentioned beforehand (hence the の) and the が is the particle. Could you give us an example of where it's used?
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby turonkusu » Tue 09.20.2005 11:59 am

dareka no kitai ni zutto kotae homerarerunoga suki nano desu ka?
誰かの期待にずっと応え 誉めれるのが 好きなのですか

I understand all the sentece aside from that word
turonkusu

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 09.20.2005 6:41 pm

Finally: Homerarerunoga - Which seems to come from the verb "homeru" to praise, again; what does "-rarerunoga" stand for.
誉められるのが −− 誉める

the られる puts the verb into passive form.

the の makes the verb a noun, and the が is an object marker.

So it would translate as "being praised".
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Kates » Tue 09.20.2005 7:38 pm

Your other two questions seem to have been skipped. I'll try to answer them, then... I'm not really sure what you're asking for... just a translation of the verbs...? But, like with the one already answered, some context would be more helpful.

The phrase (word?) "-nagara" means "while".
Asagohan wo tabenagara, shinbun wo yomimasu.
朝ごはんを食べながら、新聞を読みます。
I read the newspaper while I eat breakfast.
And "demo" means "but"... but I think you know that. >_>

"Arukidasu" is a verb--a combination of "aruku" and "dasu." I can't find it in my dictionary (yet--I may have to search more) but I would translate is as "to set out/begin walking," perhaps with a certain destination in mind. "Arukidashite" is the 'te-form' (informal gerund)--"arukidashita" is the 'ta-form' (informal past indicitive).
Kates

Postby turonkusu » Tue 09.20.2005 7:43 pm

sweet, actually I don't need to give you the context of those other 2 words since it already makes sense with what I have been given. by you two, so I'm making a note of those 3 words. thank you very much; ja ne..
turonkusu

Postby lomagu » Wed 09.21.2005 6:27 am

I think verb + "dasu" means to begin doing that verb, but it has a sort of sudden (maybe unexpected?) feel to it.
The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.☆-D.Adams
lomagu

Postby InsanityRanch » Wed 09.21.2005 2:25 pm

Hehehe. I *love* what Japanese do to their verbs. Here's my best attempts at understanding, but the context would help... I'm not a native speaker, and very often I know better exactly what was meant by the beginning of a sentence after I read the end!

迷いながらでも but while (or although) s.o. was perplexed or lost... (somthing happaned, I assume) ながら means that the following verb happens at the same time as this one, and this one happened over a period of time rather than instantly. The -でも suggests that the next verb will be somehow contradictory to this one.

歩き出して s.o. set off walking and... (another clause follows) a motion verb plus 出すmeans "set out or set off" doing the verb. The -て makes this verb incomplete -- something else is coming.

誰かの期待にずっと応え 誉めれるのが 好きなのですか -- Do you like s.o. who is praised for repeatedly fulfilling everyone's expectations? れる makes it passive (to be praised rather than to praise), の makes the verb a noun (s.o. who is praised in this case, but it could also be the fact of being praised) and the が marks this nounified verb as the subject of the copular sentence... which is a problem to render in English since we phrase it the opposite way. We say "do you like her" but in Japanese, "her" is the subject.

HTH!

Shira
"Give me a fruitful error any time, full of seeds, bursting with its own corrections. You can keep your sterile truth for yourself." -- Vilfredo Pareto
InsanityRanch

Postby Daichi » Thu 09.22.2005 6:53 am

InsanityRanch wrote:
Hehehe. I *love* what Japanese do to their verbs. ... I'm not a native speaker, and very often I know better exactly what was meant by the beginning of a sentence after I read the end!

This is actually what confuses a lot of learners, and makes listening difficult for the beginner.

In English, it is very easy to jump to conclusions, as the most important information is put at the beginning of a sentence. In Japanese it is completely different and you need the very end of a sentence to understand what is meant.

For example, 'ka' is spoken at the end of a sentence and unitl then you don't know if it's a statement or question.

Also a statement can become postive or negative, depending on the last syllable or two.

And many more...

(Thanks go to Pimsleur for highlighting the above point!)
Daichi

Postby ryuubu » Mon 09.26.2005 9:00 pm

About that passive sentence...

Is there no grammatical different between 'taberareta' as in 'was eaten' and 'taberareta' could eat?
ryuubu

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 09.26.2005 9:06 pm

There is a grammatical difference and difference in meaning, but not a spelling difference.

ゾンビを食べられた -- I could eat a zombie
ゾンビに食べられた -- I was eaten by a zombie

A potential verb needs a direct object (usually) and so the を is used to mark the DO, in this case the zombie. In passive form, に is used to mark who is performing the action. If you then added 猫が to the second sentence, you would then have "The cat was eaten by a zombie"
Last edited by Harisenbon on Mon 09.26.2005 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems