Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese Government

Japanese Government

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Japanese Government

Postby Hatori » Wed 09.19.2007 5:47 pm

Hello. First of all, this thread is NOT meant to talk about specific government officials. Stay away from specific political discussions.
Anyway, my question to you all is that Japan is a democracy, yes? I'm just making sure because I think about this sometimes and I always forget to ask...

Since I haven't been posting much lately... I feel like there are no more cultural questions being asked! LOL :p
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

RE: Japanese Government

Postby richvh » Wed 09.19.2007 6:26 pm

It's a constitutional monarchy/parliamentary democracy. The same party has been in control of the Diet practically uninterrupted since self-rule was allowed after the WWII occupation.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Hatori » Wed 09.19.2007 7:23 pm

Thanks, Rich. Are there any great differences compared to America in how things work that I should know too?
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby chikara » Wed 09.19.2007 8:04 pm

This thread may be in breach of Forum Rule No.6 :o
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 09.19.2007 8:24 pm

I don't think this thread is a breach because as long as people KEEP OPINIONS OUT OF IT, this could turn into a very informative post about the JP political system, which is rather different than the American one.

I unfortuately don't know enough about it to acurately describe it (the complexity makes my head spin), but I'm sure Rich or someone could give a good breakdown.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby richvh » Wed 09.19.2007 9:02 pm

I don't know enough to break it down either (other than to say it's more like Britain's system that America's), but Wikipedia has an article that gives an overview.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby chikara » Wed 09.19.2007 9:04 pm

Harisenbon wrote:
I don't think this thread is a breach because as long as people KEEP OPINIONS OUT OF IT, this could turn into a very informative post about the JP political system, which is rather different than the American one....

My reference to Forum Rule No.6 was tongue in cheek as I started the thread on Shinzo Abe's resignation which was closed for being political. ;)

Japan is a constitutional monarchy which is the same as this country (Australia), United Kingdom, Canada and Spain, to name a few. As you say this is rather different to the system in the USA.

The main difference between a constitutional monarchy such as Japan's and the system in the USA is that the head of state is hereditary and not elected by popular vote as with POTUS. The hereditary head of state has no real power under the constitution.

The head of the government, and therefore the political head of the country, is the parliamentary leader of the majority/coalition party in the lower house of parliament (House of Representatives). This person, the Prime Minister, must be elected to parliament by their electorate but is elected to be the Prime minister by members of their own parliamentary party. they are not directly elected as POTUS is.

The Prime Minister does not have powers of veto over legislation as POTUS does.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 09.20.2007 3:32 pm

This POTUS guy, he sounds very powerful and full of mischief.
two_heads_talking

Postby chikara » Thu 09.20.2007 7:47 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
This POTUS guy, he sounds very powerful and full of mischief.

That pretty much sums him up ;)

POTUS was recently in this country for "OPEC" and referred to our Prime Minister visiting the "Austrian" troops in Iraq :o
chikara

Postby Hatori » Thu 09.20.2007 10:14 pm

Ahhh. Thank you very much for so much info, chikara. You always have some good info.
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan