Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Study Group (Beginners and Upper-Beginners)

Study Group (Beginners and Upper-Beginners)

Japanese, general discussion on the language

RE: Study Group (Beginners and Upper-Beginners)

Postby poppop » Tue 09.18.2007 3:12 pm

sign me up ^^
poppop

Native language: Swedish

Postby sei » Tue 09.18.2007 6:06 pm

Denus wrote:
I would like to join this as well. I live in GMT-5 and would be available Saturday anytime after 6PM GMT.

The time is set for 4PM GMT+1. So 3PM GMT. I'm changing as people join in and give me new times, but as of now, the best time is still that one overall. Hope you can still make it though.
Questions? Feel free to ask. :)
sei

Native language: Portuguese

Postby Denus » Wed 09.19.2007 9:23 am

sei wrote:
Denus wrote:
I would like to join this as well. I live in GMT-5 and would be available Saturday anytime after 6PM GMT.

The time is set for 4PM GMT+1. So 3PM GMT. I'm changing as people join in and give me new times, but as of now, the best time is still that one overall. Hope you can still make it though.

Ah, well. It depends on whether I have to work Saturday or not. We'll see.
Denus

Postby elXco » Wed 09.19.2007 6:11 pm

Is it too late to join? I haven't been on in a while and thought this would help improve my knowledge of the basics of Japanese. XD
elXco

RE: Joining the group

Postby Seijin » Wed 09.19.2007 10:05 pm

I am also interested in joining. I have been doing Japanese for a couple of years.
Hirgana:46/46
KataKana:46/46
Kanji:60
せいじん
Seijin

Postby wststreet » Thu 09.20.2007 2:32 pm

I'll be on my father's laptop cuz my parents made plans for me and i'll be on the road.. can you tell me the day and the hour? the last one was saturaday at 4PM GMT+1
wststreet

Postby panicroom » Thu 09.20.2007 6:09 pm

I am very interested in the group I'll try my best to participate :D my time is EST I'm available after school which is around 3:30p.m. to about 7:00p.m.
I also have an idea if we some how we can't make a schedule that fit's everyone's time we can split up into time zones or something, just a thought.
panicroom

Postby sei » Fri 09.21.2007 8:20 am

wststreet wrote:
I'll be on my father's laptop cuz my parents made plans for me and i'll be on the road.. can you tell me the day and the hour? the last one was saturaday at 4PM GMT+1

It is still the same time and day.

panicroom wrote:
I am very interested in the group I'll try my best to participate :D my time is EST I'm available after school which is around 3:30p.m. to about 7:00p.m.
I also have an idea if we some how we can't make a schedule that fit's everyone's time we can split up into time zones or something, just a thought.

EST is what time in GMT? I don't know.

And regarding your idea. It might be good, but that would create completely different group. Because it would be hard to make sure everyone is covering the same thing in every meetings and so.
sei

Postby Feba » Fri 09.21.2007 8:27 am

I think EST is -4 or 5, I'm in -5/6 (CST). I can never remember how DST works into it all...

Bleh. This is why I love UTC.
Feba

Native language: English

Postby Denus » Fri 09.21.2007 9:41 am

EST is GMT-5. If Daylight's Savings Time is included, it would be called EDT and would be GMT-4.
Denus

Postby Feba » Fri 09.21.2007 10:12 am

Denus: in theory yes. I don't think I've ever once heard someone in America call Eastern time anything other than EST, even when it's technically on EDT. I've heard OCCASIONAL references to CST as CDT, but it's still rare. Same with PST, but I haven't used Pacific time much, just for an MMO I used to play. EST could very well mean either one to most Americans I've ever met.
Feba

Native language: English

Postby terence_hideyoshi » Sat 09.22.2007 10:06 am

sei wrote:
wststreet wrote:

It is still the same time and day.

panicroom wrote:

EST is what time in GMT? I don't know.

And regarding your idea. It might be good, but that would create completely different group. Because it would be hard to make sure everyone is covering the same thing in every meetings and so.

Sorry for the late reply, Sei. hmm.. I suppose it will be tonight for me. Will try to logon if I'm still awake.
terence_hideyoshi

Postby sei » Sat 09.22.2007 12:38 pm

terence_hideyoshi wrote:
Sorry for the late reply, Sei. hmm.. I suppose it will be tonight for me. Will try to logon if I'm still awake.

It was one hour after you posted that. ;) Not sure you came, sorry. I was late. :|
sei

Postby queshaw » Sat 09.22.2007 9:16 pm

I used this web page:

http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc

to figure the time zone conversion. I gather I'm at GMT-7 (USA PST (or PDT, I don't know if this is the absurd daylight savings time now or not)), so I think 3PM GMT is 8AM Saturdays for me.

I should be able to attend next week. It seems like it will be good to force me to study.
Last edited by queshaw on Sat 09.22.2007 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
queshaw

Postby terence_hideyoshi » Sat 09.22.2007 10:49 pm

sei wrote:
terence_hideyoshi wrote:

It was one hour after you posted that. ;) Not sure you came, sorry. I was late. :|

Its ok. Anyway, I didn't. Too sleepy.
terence_hideyoshi

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese General Discussion