Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - The Ideal Electronic Dictionary

The Ideal Electronic Dictionary

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

RE: The Ideal Electronic Dictionary

Postby Chikubi » Mon 08.13.2007 8:36 am

Well then it should come with a protective sleeve... err... ok maybe free screen protector? ;)
But I do think palmtop-ish is easier to handle when using stylus pen.
I Like KFC, the original one!
Love SPITZ!!!
Chikubi

Postby Gundaetiapo » Mon 08.13.2007 10:41 pm

Come to think of it, is there any online (or pocket) dictionary that has sound samples for its entries?
Gundaetiapo

Native language: English

Postby clay » Mon 08.13.2007 11:13 pm

Gundaetiapo wrote:
Come to think of it, is there any online (or pocket) dictionary that has sound samples for its entries?

Pretty much all Ectaco dictionaries have synthesized sounds, but honestly, the dictionaries are worse than bad.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby caroline » Tue 08.14.2007 12:37 pm

Having just acquired an ex word (that I'm still struggling to use), I think that the furigana - I miss terribly - are certainly the "must have" in a dictionary!

the kanji pad is also a must; the compounds show by themselves, and it's possible to enter more than one kanji : that's really great.

Sample sentences for words and glossaries by theme I find useful too... though it would be good to define the useful (or enjoyable) themes : I indeed vote for haikus, and samples sentences from litterature.
but don't miss too much the pronunciation in japanese, though I find the french and english ones quite funny!

but I feel I don't really know I to use the thing, as I'm struggling with a japanese manual, so a sure requisite would be a good manual!
caroline

Native language: Français

Postby ianix » Wed 08.15.2007 10:43 am

I would like to have the kanji pad and also the main screen a touch pad as well so that after the meaning is displayed on the screen and then there's a word in the sample sentence that I don't understand, I can easily jump from one word to another just by clicking the word on the screen. It takes too much time pressing buttons (yes, seconds count)
ianix

Postby whiterabbit » Tue 08.21.2007 5:20 am

caroline wrote:
Having just acquired an ex word (that I'm still struggling to use), I think that the furigana - I miss terribly - are certainly the "must have" in a dictionary!

the kanji pad is also a must; the compounds show by themselves, and it's possible to enter more than one kanji : that's really great.

Sample sentences for words and glossaries by theme I find useful too... though it would be good to define the useful (or enjoyable) themes : I indeed vote for haikus, and samples sentences from litterature.
but don't miss too much the pronunciation in japanese, though I find the french and english ones quite funny!

but I feel I don't really know I to use the thing, as I'm struggling with a japanese manual, so a sure requisite would be a good manual!

Caroline, Did you download the English Quick Reference we have for the Casio in our free download section over at http://www.whiterabbitpress.com?
Max Hodges
Creative Director
White Rabbit Express
http://whiterabbitexpress.com
whiterabbit

Postby Kamekichi » Sat 09.29.2007 8:19 pm

If it had integrated Remembering the Kanji flash cards, like a portable Reviewing the Kanji, I'd buy it. I'm halfway through Remembering The Kanji right now. That would be so cool to be able to write a kanji or type in a keyword and get the Heisig equivalent on a portable. I already have Kanji Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten for the DS and it works pretty good except for no Heisig and no jump function.
Last edited by Kamekichi on Sat 09.29.2007 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kamekichi

Postby atreya » Thu 11.08.2007 8:31 am

Hmmm, I guess I am new here. Has anyone looked at this one? http://www.japaneselanguagetools.com/complete.html
atreya

Postby Bucko » Wed 11.14.2007 2:17 pm

A massive bank of example sentences with a seach function that lets you search for both strings of text and indepenent words in a sentence.
Bucko

Postby Christine Tham » Sat 11.24.2007 7:11 pm

For those who are interested, I have written an article describing my experiences using (mainly) EPWING dictionaries on a number of platforms:

My article on electronic dictionaries

My favourite at the moment is EBPocket/EBWin on Windows Mobile/Windows, but the Sharp Zaurus is the best all rounder as a Japanese learning tool (particularly after I loaded about 2GB worth of additional EPWING dictionaries to it).
Christine Tham

Postby Wakannai » Sat 11.24.2007 10:06 pm

mmm, tablet PC.
Wakannai

Postby atreya » Thu 11.29.2007 1:19 pm

Christine Tham wrote:
For those who are interested, I have written an article describing my experiences using (mainly) EPWING dictionaries on a number of platforms:

My article on electronic dictionaries

My favourite at the moment is EBPocket/EBWin on Windows Mobile/Windows, but the Sharp Zaurus is the best all rounder as a Japanese learning tool (particularly after I loaded about 2GB worth of additional EPWING dictionaries to it).

Nice article, I have posted a question there since I didn't want to go offtopic here. :)
atreya

Postby brendalaicm83 » Tue 12.25.2007 6:59 am

I'm currently looking for a japanese electronic dictionary. however, after some survey i did online, many non native japanese speakers recommend a PDA instead of an electronic dictionary. it will be the best if we can have a PDA specially made for learning japanese with all the other PDA features.
brendalaicm83

Re: The Ideal Electronic Dictionary

Postby asfalios » Wed 05.14.2008 11:51 am

Personally, I would like to see the following:

a.Super Daijirin
b.kenkyusha J-E, E-J
c.High quality hand written interface for kanji search
d.A kanji dictionary with ALL kanji characters (including obsolete and old kanji, name kanji included)
e.Ko-go (classical japanese dictionary, for those interested in classical japanese literature)
f.backlighting
g.Oxford E-E dictionary

ko-go is often omitted from electronic dictionaries.

Cheers
さらば地球よ
asfalios

Native language: Greek

Re: The Ideal Electronic Dictionary

Postby Duality » Sun 06.15.2008 9:16 am

I'm a total newbie so you may want to take this with a grain of salt (perhaps a pile of salt come to think of it...) but I just really want to put in a good word for stroke order.

As somebody learning this is infinitely useful to me and it seems to matter so much. During my learning experiences so far I've been relying fairly heavily on animated stroke order, even for hiragana and katakana.

Anyway I don't want to say too much because I'm inexperienced but should I actually be successful in my studies I could see myself buying an electronic dictionary and this is one major feature I'd look for. :D

I also wanted to say I think this is a great idea and I don't know why people haven't made them for native English speakers before!
Duality

PreviousNext

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips