Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Nihonggo Corrections

Nihonggo Corrections

Do you have a translation question?

Nihonggo Corrections

Postby gwendy85 » Thu 09.22.2005 11:52 pm

A book sale's been going on in our place lately and I managed to get Basic Japanese by Yukihiro Shimamura for a good price.
That's adding to my growing collection of Japanese/English dictionaries/self-study books, along with Takeo Fukoda's Japanese in One Month and Yoko Tajima's Japanese-English Dictionary.
But, I encountered a lot of conflicts with some spelling and grammar use. I was wondering if anyone could help me on this.
I need to have the right words/sentences used usually during the 1940s (so minus the modern Nihongo language).
All are stated by a Japanese person. Like I said, I am writing a novel and am in dire need of help.
I'm trying to learn as much as I can and I'm happy to say I'm making more progress than I ever had by just watching anime and such.
Still, I'm a novice who needs major help. To save time, you can just copy and paste whatever here and only provide me corrections.
Everything that's correct, you can just leave as is. Thank you so much for your time!
Example:
eg. 1.) all correct; 2.) all correct 3.) ____is wrong. The proper way is...

1.) Differences between:

*Domo Arigato/ Domo/ Arigato / Arigato Gozaimasu (Thank You)
*** I read that 'gozaimasu' is usually ommitted when talking to equals, subordinates and intimate friends.
How about family members older than you (eg parents, grandparents, etc)?
*Doo itashimashite / Dozo, so ossharai-nai de kudasai (You're Welcome/ Please don't mention it ** as in after a thank you)
*(Kom)Konbanwa / Oyasumi nasai (Good Evening/Good Night?)
*** I read that "Konbanwa" is for when you meet at night and "Oyasumi nasai" is for when you
leave late at night. "Sayonara, oyasumi nasai" can also be used, right?
*Doshite desu ka? / Naze desu ka? (Why is it?)
*Aishite imasu / Aishiteru / Aishiteru yo (I love you)
*Ikaga desu ka? / Hajimemashite? (How do you do?) ** meeting for first time/ formal meeting
*Daijobu ka? / Ogenki desu ka? (**inquiry about well-being/health?)
*Watashi wa daijobu. / Genki desu (* answer to preceding question)
*Dozo okake nasai / Dozo okake kudasai (Please sit down)
*Dozo ohairi nasai / Dozo ohairi kudasai (Please come in)
*Shitsurei shimasu / Sumimasen (Excuse me)
*Gomen nasai / Sumimasen deshita / Gomen (I'm sorry)
*** I read 'gomen nasai' is more commonly used by women and children. What about men? (esp. soldiers/soldiers-to-be)
And sometimes, people only use 'gomen' ?

2.) Dare and Donata both mean "Who", right? (as in Dare/Donata desu ka? *Who is it?) But Donata is more
polite than Dare. So, does that mean Dare is used for casual talk and Donata for formal talk?

3.) >>>Is it necessary to have 'desu' at the end or is it okay to omit it? I saw one time in the anime, "Rave", Ellie introduced herself as "Watashi wa Ellie" only. When is 'desu' necessary/unnecessary?

*I am Gwendy. >> Watashi wa Gwendy desu.
*He is Mr. Matsushima. >> Kare wa Matsushima-san desu.
*He/She is my friend. >> Kare wa/Kanojo wa watashi no tomodachi desu.
*You are my love. >> Anata wa watashi no ai desu.
*Miss Gwendy is a writer. >> Gwendy-san wa sakka desu.

4.) >>>>Male or Female?

"He" = "Kare wa" and "She" = "Kanojo wa" (as in Kare wa/Kanojo wa sensei desu *He/She is a teacher*)
What about this thing on "Watashi wa" and "Ore wa" (I : myself) ? I watched almost every HunterXHunter episodes and found Kurapika referring to himself as "Watashi wa" (cheerful mood) but at times, "Ore wa" (evil mood). This caused some confusion with fans as to his gender (some still think of him as a girl). So, is "Watashi wa" exclusively for females and "Ore wa" for males or is "Watashi wa" now widely accepted for all genders? How about in the 1940s?

And I find that Ore wa is still commonly used by some overly male characters in anime?

How about the Japanese counterpart for "mine" (possessive)? "Watashi no" is commonly used but I also heard of "Uchi no", which is said to be used by males? But I thought uchi means house? Or is it "Ore no" I'm confused...

"Karera" is the plural form of "Kare", which means "he" (therefore, Karera=they *males*) and Kanojo tachi is for a group of females. But this book says "Karera" is used when referring to a group of both sexes? Which is commonly used?
E.G.
Are wa karera no kuruma desu. >> That is their (males) car. (far away) ???
Are wa kanojo tachi no kuruma desu. >> That is their (females) car. ???

Kanojo-san = Miss
Kare-san = ????? Mister ????

What's the plural form of "Men" and "Women" (Onna) ? As in, exasperated sentence: "Men!" / "Women!"

5.) >>>I still don't get the deal with the ff. words after the names: --san, --chan, --kun and --sama. I know --san usually refers to mr., mrs., miss, but is it for formality and acquaintances? Then, I heard of this --chan, which is said to be for intimate friends? I even heard some kids refer to their older siblings as onichan and onechan instead of the usual onisan and onesan? Then, there's in "Sakura Wars", wherein Capt. Ogami refers to Sakura as "Sakura-kun" and Sakura refers to Ogami as "Ogami-san". Sakura is Ogami's subordinate, but they're somewhat "close". There's also times when a character would call his superior as (name)-sama (eg. Bejita-sama, Sanzo-sama).

Is ---sama a term used for royalty or for denoting a master/mistress?

6.) Is this correct?

*Naze? Okama ka? >> Why? Are you gay? (male person speaks very rudely)
*Watashi wa Karen. Anata wa? >> I'm Karen. And you? (as in asking for names).
*** I heard in the American version of "The Grudge".
*Watashi no onamae wa Yukihiro. >> My name is Yukihiro. (???)
*Watashi wa Firripin-jin desu. >> I am a Filipino.
*Watashi wa daijobu. >> I am fine.
*Anata no onamae wa nan desu ka? >> What is your name? (???)
*Onamae wa nan to osshaimasu ka? >> What is your name? / What name do you call yourself? (????)
*Arigato. Go-shinsetsu desu. >> Thank you. You're very kind.
*Naze? Nanji desu ka? >> Why? What time is it?
*Daibu yoku nari mashita. >> I'm feeling better.
*Sore wa yoroshii. >> That's good. (as in relief after above sentence)
*Ima ni yuki-masho! >> We have to leave now!
*Yoi ga deki mashita ka? >> Are you ready?
*Anata wa utsukushi desu. >> You are beautiful.
*Anata wa bijin desu. >> You are pretty.
*Anata wa oikutsu desu ka? >> How old are you?
*Mata o-me ni kakari masu, kanojo-san. >> I hope to see you again, miss.
*Akai Taiyoo no Shinju >> Pearl of the Red Sun
*Hakuhatsu no oni >> White-haired ogre (or is it just 'hakuhatsu oni'? eg Snow Lady : Yuki Onna, not yuki no onna)
*Anata wa dare no desu ka? >> Who are you?
*She is my fiancee. >> Kanojo wa watashi no iinazuke desu. (male speaker: should it be ore wa instead of watashi wa?)

I hope this isn't too much. please do take your time. thank you so much!
gwendy85

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion