Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Rice with Chopsticks?

Rice with Chopsticks?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Rice with Chopsticks?

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 10.04.2007 7:20 am

Remember when Sheriff Taylor was trying to give Ernest T. Bass some etiquette lessons so he could appear in polite society? Andy reluctantly told Ernest that he talks through his nose.

"Oh, I know that, Sheriff."
"You do?"
"Yeah. I do that on purpose on account of so I can talk whilst I eat."
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby xsilentxtearsx » Sun 10.07.2007 9:08 am

Lol, Speaking of chopsticks, I use them for everthing that I can (even non Asian food, if that even matters). I guess I licku, because I have never had problems with them; even when i first picked them up. Well, good luck!
ねこがだいすきですか?

私はブリタニです。

Yo soy una gringa quien hablo español, y estoy feliz porque español es en mi vida!

Currently learning 9/80 level 4 かんじ。

I know basically all of the ひらがな, but only know about 20 カタカナ!

えんぴつはどこですか?
xsilentxtearsx

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 10.07.2007 9:22 am

Mike Cash wrote:
Remember when Sheriff Taylor was trying to give Ernest T. Bass some etiquette lessons so he could appear in polite society?

I'm trying to decide if you honestly believe anyone on this board regularly watches the Andy Griffith Show. :)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 10.07.2007 11:38 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:
Remember when Sheriff Taylor was trying to give Ernest T. Bass some etiquette lessons so he could appear in polite society?

I'm trying to decide if you honestly believe anyone on this board regularly watches the Andy Griffith Show. :)

I consider it to be the cornerstone of the common foundation for all of Western Civilization.

And anytime one of my opinions seems to imperfectly mesh with reality, you may rest assured that it is reality that needs to get with the effing program.
Mike Cash

Postby Infidel » Sun 10.07.2007 11:44 pm

That's the spirit!
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 10.08.2007 10:09 am

Mike Cash wrote:
Yudan Taiteki wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:

I consider it to be the cornerstone of the common foundation for all of Western Civilization.

And anytime one of my opinions seems to imperfectly mesh with reality, you may rest assured that it is reality that needs to get with the effing program.

see, now Mike makes perfect sense. He is still somehow sandwhiched in 50'sand 60's black and white tv shows. this explains his mood, his suggestions, his bias and opinions 100%..

However, as Stephen King metinos is his Dark Tower series, "The world has moved on gunslinger, and your world is dead."
two_heads_talking

Postby Infidel » Mon 10.08.2007 10:12 am

I had that inspiration with his previous avatar.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 10.08.2007 10:25 am

I spend part of my days reliving 1935, 1938, and (mainly) 1948 via radio programs. When I got stuck at work overnight last week I spent the evening watching three movies...ranging from 1936~1939.

Tissue boxes on my feet and a gazillion dollars in the bank is all that keeps me from being the new Howard Hughes.
Mike Cash

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 10.08.2007 12:24 pm

yep, times just waiting for the langoliers to eat it up.

I actually like watching some of the older movies and wish for the "good ole days" but unfortunately they only exist in the box on the floor that flickers sometimes. If you are lucky, yours has color and the rabit ears work nice.
two_heads_talking

Postby AJBryant » Mon 10.08.2007 1:55 pm

When I watch classics from the 30, I lament on the devolution of society and culture. People wearing black tie when going out to bars in the evening vs today where people wear PAJAMAS in the street.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 10.08.2007 3:05 pm

Color is overrated.

Anyway, we in 1948 are still making anticipatory comments about the arrival of television......something else that is overrated. (The Andy Griffith Show was heavily influenced by radio's Lum and Abner, as were The Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, and Petticoat Junction).
Mike Cash

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 10.08.2007 3:56 pm

OH the days of families sitting in front of the radio for a certain special program to start. Lawrence Welk, and a few others got their start this way as well. I think Gunsmoke was originally on radio too.
two_heads_talking

Postby Hatori » Mon 10.08.2007 8:43 pm

I remember when I was in second grade when we were learning about Japan, we got a pair of chopsticks. It was around St. Valentine's Day and we had a contest with those little candy hearts to see who can put the most into their cup. I've had the natural talent to use chopsticks since I was really little since I totally kicked my fellow second graders' @sses! :p
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby Miyu-rin » Tue 10.09.2007 6:31 pm

I haven't eaten rice with chopsticks as of yet, but when I do, I'll most likely take the bowl, and shovel it in my mouth with the chopsticks. xD *lazy*
Miyu-rin

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 10.10.2007 3:49 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
OH the days of families sitting in front of the radio for a certain special program to start. Lawrence Welk, and a few others got their start this way as well. I think Gunsmoke was originally on radio too.

Gunsmoke, an excellent radio program, was a latecomer to the medium. It had an outstanding cast and ran nearly 500 episodes over nine years

As a kid, I never cared much for the television Gunsmoke, but as an adult I like the radio version just fine.
Last edited by Mike Cash on Wed 10.10.2007 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Cash

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan