Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Flash-Card Program for PC?

Flash-Card Program for PC?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Flash-Card Program for PC?

Postby Senescence » Mon 09.19.2005 7:15 am

Out of all of the flashcard-type programs available for PC, what one works the best, and is the easiest to input things into? Cost isnt an issue, if it is a great tool, I dont mind ponying up some dough for it.

Im just looking for a program that I can use full-screen to review Kanji and everything else where it would be easy enough to see the strokes without squinting and everything.
Senescence

RE: Flash-Card Program for PC?

Postby Senescence » Wed 09.21.2005 7:36 am

dont all answer at once or anything... :)
Senescence

Postby WacKostRacKo » Wed 09.21.2005 11:19 am

Dont know about best because its all down to taste and what level you are on. This site has some i think or a link at least, but i used this:

http://www.lrnj.com

Its called Slime Forest, im sure that people have already heard of it and / or used it but i learnt with it and i think its great fun.:D
tanuki wrote:
How about:

外人: これはすしです。すしが好きです。
日本人: おお!日本語が上手ですね。
外人: Erm....what?

story of my life...
WacKostRacKo

Postby mandolin » Thu 09.22.2005 12:35 pm

I use both Slime Forest and Knuckles in China Land.

Both games have basically the same premise, that being to learn Japanese, though they have differences in execution. KiCL has better (read: more interesting) storyline and is more fun visually/graphically.

The differences that matter as a language-learner:

Slime Forest Adventure (SFA; from lrnj.com):

PROS:

teaches all kana and a large list of kanji

intuitive repetition - remembers what you got wrong and throws them in as repeats. You have to 'save' your progress at the 'inn' and for every day that you overstay (real life days!) it costs you more money. When you play for the first time on a new day, it will review what you did the previous day before moving on to new stuff.

Kanji is taught with very useful and oftentimes hilarious mnemonics.

Adjustable learning speed to suit your needs.

CONS:

The Kanji is taught with one meaning per kanji, and doesn't deal with ON/kun readings at all. ((My take on this: It really helped me understand how the kanji are put together, which has helped me a LOT with learning Kanji in a more traditional manner))

Knuckles in China Land (KiCL, at http://www.tbns.net/knuckles/ ):

PROS:

Awesome Kanji instruction that includes ON-kun readings AND meanings

A pretty decent repeat system, based on 'familiarity' with a particular character. Familiarity increases the more often you get them correct in the game.

CONS:

The learning seems a bit too fast, and cannot be adjusted

No review mode, does not force a review next time you start the game. ((In my case, it means if you forgot something that you got really familiar with, you won't study it again until it comes up as one of the random "Hey, just checking!" battles))

SUMMARY:

I like and play both games regularly. I think they compliment each other, which I also reinforce with textbook study. :)
mandolin

Postby Senescence » Fri 09.23.2005 10:37 pm

im at the intermediate level (700 or so Kanji, plus I teach Japanese 201), so The Slime Game was little more than a joke for me. No one has a good flash-card-like program for PC that they use?
Senescence

Postby raevin » Fri 09.23.2005 10:45 pm

Senescence wrote:
im at the intermediate level (700 or so Kanji, plus I teach Japanese 201), so The Slime Game was little more than a joke for me. No one has a good flash-card-like program for PC that they use?

I use Declan's Japanese FlashCards (when I decide to do kanji...heh).
raevin

Native language: English

Postby Senescence » Sat 09.24.2005 10:29 pm

raevin, I have to thank you immensely! This Declan's program is awesome! It lets me make my own list, and isnt difficult to use at all!

Thanks a bunch!
Senescence

Postby Christian_ » Sat 09.24.2005 10:57 pm

I Recently Posted This Link In A Fourm Not To Long Ago http://www.flashcardexchange.com/ It Has A Ton Of Flash Cards On Not Only Japanese, Not Only Languages, But Lots Of Things. Hope That Helped.:)
Goals:
1) Have decent proficiency in Japanese, enough to get around/talk/read/write.
2) Visit Japan for a week or so one summer.
Christian_

Postby vharron » Sat 10.15.2005 2:32 am

You can use this program to create and study flash cards. I use it for Japanese vocabulary and phrases (grammar)

I love this program. But I'm a little biased (I wrote it) :)

http://www.vendant.com/flash_card_manager.htm
vharron

Postby InsanityRanch » Sat 10.15.2005 7:45 am

I have tried a LOT of flash card programs for the PC. Some are excellent for some purposes, but none does everything I want.

The basic problem is, what is needed is a flashcard that has several fields:
The meaning, which I should be able to enter in English or Japanese
The pronunciation, in kana
The written form of the word or phrase, in kanji and kana
An example of usage, with the target word written as -----

I would like to be able to specify which field(s) are the clue and which field(s) should appear when I say "show". OR I would like to specify one or more field(s) as the clue (and be able to change that from run to run) and then specify another field which I would have to enter to be sure I actually know it. I would like it to use boxes or some other means of repeating cards according to how familiar I am with them. And I would like it to be really easy to add cards in bulk. Given this wishlist, here's my evaluation of what I've seen so far.

Slime Forest -- good for passive recognition of kanji (if you mean, knowing a single English meaning.) Good for speedy evaulation of katakana words. Not customizable. (I would LOVE to use this sort of interface to learn perapera words...) Free, though a donation is requested.

Lexikan -- my favorite for drilling "see the compound pick the proper pronunciation". They have helpfully prepared lists of compounds by grade level, which is a bonus because the input method is somewhat time-consuming, and must be done card by card. Also has great handwriting practice modes -- this is the way I learned to write kanji, and the kana writing modules are nice, too. In all, I couldn't live without this program, but it is NOT an ideal flashcard program. Costs about $50 last time I checked.

Kanjigold -- another free program that can be used to drill "see the compound, remember the pronunciation and meaning" and also, iirc, "see the kanji remember readings and meanings." Free. No data entry function, but lets you pick whether certain fields are displayed in Japanese or English.

JFC -- a decent (and FREE) flash card program. Has three fields (meaning, pronunciation, written form). Easy data entry if you use JWPCE, which I do. I often create files of 75 or a hundred cards in a few minutes. This is currently the one I use most for active language practice (i.e., the meaning is the clue -- the point is so I can remember the word when I want to use it in conversation). The main weakness is it only repeats the missed cards at the end. No really sophisticated memory strategy.
Oh -- and they have a nice, traditional kanji card mode, too -- kanji, readings, meanings, example words. I don't study kanji that way (prefer Lexikan), but this feature of JFC is nicely implemented and does go along with those Tuttle kanji cards or whatever people use.

Memory Lifter -- a "box system" program. Another one I use for English to Nihongo (active conversation) practice. Unfortunately, cannot handle unicode, so no moji. It does force you to write out your answer, which is both good and bad. Good because it gets rid of the sort of slop that sometimes creeps in when I am just saying "Yeah, I know that one." Bad because the skill I need is to speak the word quickly and naturally, not write it down. The boxes are great though -- once you adjust the sizes to your liking, the higher boxes' contents are produced again just about when you might forget them -- really does result in sticking things in long term memory where they belong. Data entry is card by card. Does allow for examples of usage. Program is free.

Declan's -- tried it. I know I did because the evaluation version is on my disk. Don't remember why, but I gave up on it. Not free.

Stackz -- Tried it. Supposed to have boxes. Data entry seemed like hell. Could not figure out how the quiz function worked. Gave up. Not free.

That's all I can remember at the moment.

Shira
"Give me a fruitful error any time, full of seeds, bursting with its own corrections. You can keep your sterile truth for yourself." -- Vilfredo Pareto
InsanityRanch

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips