Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - daisuki...a verb or adjective?

daisuki...a verb or adjective?

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

daisuki...a verb or adjective?

Postby amaravati » Sun 09.25.2005 2:40 am

大好き likeable, like very much, favorite

Many people/websites use/translate daisuki as the verbs, love or like, but the word is listed as an adjective. So my question is what is it exactly. For example the sentences below

この写真大好き is I love this picture or This picture is my favorite?

大好きです I like/love you very much. Correct? or is it more along the line of "You are my favorite"
amaravati

Native language: Thai

RE: daisuki...a verb or adjective?

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 09.25.2005 3:53 am

好き is a な adjective, as it can be used with nouns as in 好きな人

この写真が大好き would mean "I love this picture."

If you wanted to compare it to something, and say "my favorite" you should say 一番好き or even お気に入り.

世界中の花でこれの花が一番好き。
Of all the flowers in the world, I like this one the best.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Schattenjedi » Sun 09.25.2005 4:04 am

amaravati wrote:

Many people/websites use/translate daisuki as the verbs, love or like, but the word is listed as an adjective. So my question is what is it exactly. For example the sentences below

大好きです I like/love you very much. Correct? or is it more along the line of "You are my favorite"

According to JDIC, 好き and 大好き are both na-adjectives and nouns. "To like" and "to love" are common translations and you could also translate it as "my favorite" depending on the context. この写真が大好きです。 would be "I like this picture a lot". And I don't think you would normally say I love you to someone using 大好きです because of the formal です ending.
Schattenjedi

Postby amaravati » Sun 09.25.2005 9:53 am

If 大好き is an adjective and saying something like この写真大好き = I love/like this picture. What I don't get is if 大好き is an adjective why do you translate it as a verb in English?
amaravati

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 09.25.2005 10:34 am

Because you have left out the です of the sentence. In it's complete form, it would be 私はこの写真が好きです.
I am liking this picture.

But because that is not commonly said in english (even though it makes some sense), we have to change it around until it does. Thus, When すき is translated into english, the closest word (the verb to like) is used.
Last edited by Harisenbon on Sun 09.25.2005 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby amaravati » Sun 09.25.2005 12:11 pm

Thanks, Harisenbon. I came to the same conclusion about why daisuki is translated into a verb in English, but I needed somebody to confirm it.
amaravati

Postby Christian_ » Sun 09.25.2005 12:47 pm

好き Is one of the kanji I do happen to know from my study of "Read Japanese Today". It said it is pronounced suku but commonly abreviated to suki and it said when used as an adjective to mean good it is pronounced "ii", Hope That Helps.:)
Goals:
1) Have decent proficiency in Japanese, enough to get around/talk/read/write.
2) Visit Japan for a week or so one summer.
Christian_

Postby skrhgh3b » Sun 09.25.2005 1:58 pm

well, i hate to point it out, but japanese isn't english. that's why i find it so interesting. we're talking about two different languages that have evolved on two different island nations seperated by a super-continent that have only begun to influence each other in recent history. i guess my point is, if you try to make japanese fit into english, it's never going to make any sense to you because they're so remarkably different. so long as you keep this in mind, new concepts will come easier to you, i think.
skrhgh3b

Postby nprz » Sun 10.09.2005 6:53 pm

Kurisuchan wrote:
好き Is one of the kanji I do happen to know from my study of "Read Japanese Today". It said it is pronounced suku but commonly abreviated to suki and it said when used as an adjective to mean good it is pronounced "ii", Hope That Helps.:)

The verb would be 好く which would be pronounced suku, 好き is the adjective form and pronounced suki.
There is also 好む konomu, and it's used in my favorite food お好み焼き okonomiyaki.
好い would be pronounced ii or yoi with the same meaning as 好ましい konomashii (likeable, desirable).

嫌い (kirai) also is an adjective (used more than the verb which is 嫌う (kirau)), although it is used in the passive form quite often 嫌われる kirawareru.

It is quite common in Japanese to avoid verbs in exchange for the adjective and using desu form.
nprz

Postby InsanityRanch » Sun 10.09.2005 11:33 pm

amaravati wrote:

On the question of what part of speech 大好き is, I suppose it's a noun. BUT, it's a special kind of noun, one that can function as an adjective if you add na.

Which is beside the point really. The real question is how you use it and for this purpose, you may as well memorize a sentence pattern:

(私は)この写真が大好きだ/です。 The meaning is, I love this picture. But you cannot take the Japanese sentence apart into the same units as the English sentence.

To make a sentence of the form X (person) loves Y (usually a thing -- this is not really a word used for romantic love, at least not seriously), you do as (Xは) Y が大好きだ/です。 The subject of the English sentence is the Japanese topic -- if it can be deduced from context, it can be left out. The object of the English sentence becomes the subject in Japanese, so it takes が. You finish up with 大好き plus a copular verb, だ/です.

Incidentally, this same pattern holds for several useful expressions.

(私は)この写真が欲しい. I WANT this picture. (hoshii is a "real" adjective and therefore doesn't need a copular verb, though です can be added to make it more polite.

(私は)この写真が必要だ/です. I NEED this picture.

HTH.

Shira
"Give me a fruitful error any time, full of seeds, bursting with its own corrections. You can keep your sterile truth for yourself." -- Vilfredo Pareto
InsanityRanch

Postby skrhgh3b » Sun 10.09.2005 11:54 pm

this is not really a word used for romantic love, at least not seriously

i think 好き is a word that's similar to our word love in the respect that it has an extremely wide range of meaning depending on the context it appears in. i'm by no means any authority on japanese, but i've seen enough drama, and have had enough drama in own life, to at least be confident that 好き can, and often does, mean romantic love.
Last edited by skrhgh3b on Sun 10.09.2005 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
♪夢も見たくない 幸せなんか要らない
恋もしたくない お金なんか要らない
ぼくに必要な眠りを眠らせておくれ♪
skrhgh3b

Postby InsanityRanch » Mon 10.10.2005 9:10 am

skrhgh3b wrote:
this is not really a word used for romantic love, at least not seriously

i think 好き is a word that's similar to our word love in the respect that it has an extremely wide range of meaning depending on the context it appears in. i'm by no means any authority on japanese, but i've seen enough drama, and have had enough drama in own life, to at least be confident that 好き can, and often does, mean romantic love.

Sorry, I was talking about 大好き, not 好き. I think a grown-up, serious (and rare!) declaration of love is often something like, "anata no koto ga suki da". It always tickles me just a bit because it sounds like it ought to mean something like, "I like your stuff". <g> But of course, it is useless to try to translate things word-for-word.

大好き otoh is more used for things. Even when it's used apparently about a person, it tends to mean that person's work or persona. "Motsuaato ga daisuki" has no romantic overtones of course. "Gakutosan ga daisuki" ... well... <g> And I think that maybe adolescents might describe a crush on someone with 大好き .
"Give me a fruitful error any time, full of seeds, bursting with its own corrections. You can keep your sterile truth for yourself." -- Vilfredo Pareto
InsanityRanch

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems