Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - sitting on the floor

sitting on the floor

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: sitting on the floor

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 10.22.2007 10:10 am

one thing about sitting seiza or indian style, if you aren't used to doing it, the tendons and ligaments are tight. Over time and practice and stretching, they loosen up and allow more freedom of movement. The older you are when you start this, the harder and more painful the experience will be.

it's really a matter of time before it's easy for anyone to do.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Wakannai » Mon 10.22.2007 6:46 pm

I sit cross legged in chairs and on couches or at least 1 foot under the other leg. I can't stand having both feet flat on the floor. Hehe, I'm actually sitting indian style in my chair right now. The first thing I do when I buy a computer chair is remove the arms.
Wakannai

Postby Chris Hart » Mon 10.22.2007 10:55 pm

Wakannai wrote:
I sit cross legged in chairs and on couches or at least 1 foot under the other leg. I can't stand having both feet flat on the floor. Hehe, I'm actually sitting indian style in my chair right now. The first thing I do when I buy a computer chair is remove the arms.

Except when I am scrunched in a space where I can't sit that way, I almost always sit indian style as well. Always have. I don't have any problems with the arms on my computer chair, though. I usually have the ones with the support for the arm rest at least half way back.
-.. .   -.- -.-. ---.. ..- ..-. ...-

I am nerdier than 97% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to find out!
Chris Hart

Postby Tspoonami » Mon 10.22.2007 11:15 pm

From doing karate for around 11 years, I find seiza to be more comfortable than cross-legged sitting. The only problem is, I can't sit in seiza in many situations. This tends to be because I have to wear my shoes or sandals most everywhere, and sitting in seiza gets dirt on my rump. I do take my footwear off immediately when entering my home or anyone else's, sometimes to odd looks, but then I can sit however I want. Actually, I fidget a lot when cross-legged, but really don't move much when in seiza, if at all. It must be from all that pre-stretch meditating.
Sometimes I think that I'm afraid of thinking, and that scares me.
Tspoonami

Postby SmoochesToYou » Tue 11.06.2007 5:13 pm

I personally love sitting seiza-style. It makes my toes feel nice. :D
I want to go to Japan but I\'m too young.
D;
SmoochesToYou

Postby succubus » Sun 11.11.2007 10:34 pm

Tatami, which most Japanese people have in their houses, is really comfortable to sit on. And you have to keep it clean for fear of tatami bugs.

In Japan, we mostly sit on the floor when going to other peoples' homes. It just works better because there's more space for everyone.

Oh, also, for people who don't like to sit on the floor, we have really comfortable reclining chairs that you put on the floor. :)
succubus

Postby noviceAnimeFreak » Sun 11.11.2007 11:46 pm

in most part of asia..sitting on the floor is a norm...

and wearing shoes in the house is a big no-no....unless d person is ok with it...
i mean u wear your shoes everywhere and stepped on god knows wad ...so to take your shoes off is the least you could do, at least tt's what i tink...

i want to go japan and eat sushi!!!! too bad im totally broke :(
noviceAnimeFreak

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan