Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - What do you like about Japan?

What do you like about Japan?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: What do you like about Japan?

Postby Xurma » Fri 08.24.2007 8:06 am

I like japan because there is anime and jrock and manga desuU!! And gackt is so KAWAII! X3333 ^______________________^

Not really.

Recently my interest in japan has decreased and now I'm just learning the language without any eagerness. :) I'm now more interested in Hong Kong, but japan hasn't died yet ;)

Food is the thing I like. I ate sushi in Finland in a bar where the ingredients were very fresh and place was nice. The flavour is not the most delicious, but it's exotic, and sushi looks very appetizing. Haven't tried any other japanese foods yet, but I fell in love with sushi :)

Other reason is that the Japan is a very culture rich country, and there is some western culture mixed in it. B)
Xurma

Postby burstandbloom » Sun 08.26.2007 7:32 pm

burstandbloom

Native language: 英語

Postby Aki_4 » Mon 10.22.2007 8:31 pm

When I was there I found the Japanese to be extremely polite to me. It didn't annoy me at all. I remember everytime I'd go shopping I was treated like a guest instead of just a customer. It was quite nice.

Also, I enjoyed karaoke, going to the izakaya and the fact that it's so CLEAN is a huge plus!
Aki_4

Postby noisyturtle » Mon 10.22.2007 9:11 pm

The reason I find Japan interesting is because it is a country that has is as modern and has all of the conveniences that we have in America and yet Japan is still so different.
noisyturtle

Postby furin » Tue 10.23.2007 12:35 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
Politeness becomes rudeness
I like this phrase. :)
furin

Postby yangbin » Tue 10.23.2007 5:18 am

FOOD !! that my reason! :D :D

Japanese food is just amazing! well I have never eaten japanese food in japan, but i went to a lot of japanese restaurants in France, England, and now in China, and well....this is yummy! :p
Last edited by yangbin on Tue 10.23.2007 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
yangbin

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 10.23.2007 5:48 am

yangbin wrote:
FOOD !! that my reason! :D :D

Japanese food is just amazing! well I have never eaten japanese food in japan, but i went to a lot of japanese restaurants in France, England, and now in China, and well....this is yummy! :p

You made me recall reading a travelogue in which a guy lamented (in all seriousness) that the Japanese restaurants in Japan aren't as authentic as the Japanese restaurants in New Jersey.

I append here the text of a post I made on usenet regarding the travelogue:

A woman with three huge boobs visited Japan. One of them wrote an
account of the trip:

http://www.nsli.com/.../japan/

I am proud of myself for having made it through two whole pages.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby adamcube » Tue 10.23.2007 5:59 am

I just love "Irashaimase" whenever I walk into a store.
adamcube

Postby Wakannai » Tue 10.23.2007 6:17 am

Mike Cash wrote:

[/quote]

ahh, that page brings back memories. I never forgot this line.
the signs were so funny because they revealed the remarkable unoriginality of Japanese business names and the bizarre ways in which the Japanese mind combines words to convey abstract ideas

Reading her "Linguistic Diversions" makes it pretty clear that she never caught on that many kanji are used for their sounds not their meaning.
No one can tell me why two sections of Tokyo are called Harajuku (“Field Hotel" ) and Shinjuku ("New Hotel" )『hen they have no more or fewer hotels than any other section{r why Meguro ("Eye Black" ) is called that.

The Japanese do not express thoughts the way we do. We learn words, plus rules for combining parts of speech into sentences; they learn combinations of words that express specific abstract concepts. This medium offers nothing approaching the expressive range of English. How could such a technological giant muster itself on this preposterous basis?

A little knowledge is dangerous indeed.
Last edited by Wakannai on Tue 10.23.2007 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wakannai

Postby Oracle » Tue 10.23.2007 8:08 am

*Groan*

Thanks for posting that Mike - I got a sort of perverse pleasure out of it but I'm still shocked I actually read all the way through. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry as that couple stumbled their way around Japan misinterpreting and overlaying their own prejudices on everything they saw. First trip to Japan, fair enough, but there were some amazing comments in there.

Food references aside, for me this is that passage that sums it all up (apparently this guy learnt 700 kanji, but no Japanese words before his trip)
I am delighted to be able to read the kanji on that building yonder, evidently the Women’s National Pharmaceutical College (literally, "Woman Nation Stand Medicine Drug Great Study" ), and the sign on that fence that clearly intends "keep off the fence" (by literally stating, "upright enter prohibit stand" ), as well as on the truck over there, which delivers "Forest Perpetual Ox Milk" (it turns out that "Forest Perpetual"`orinaga(s the owner's name). (I find it astonishing that such a modern culture can flourish using a pictographic system so utterly primitive―"milk" , for example, being composed of a mother's hand clutching her infant to her breast 》hat it seems scarcely more advanced than the cave paintings of Altamira and Lascaux!)
Last edited by Oracle on Tue 10.23.2007 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oracle

Postby Shirasagi » Tue 10.23.2007 9:43 am

Jesus Christ, why did I click on the link?! I had so happily suppressed the memory from the last time Mike posted that!
Josh Reyer
------------
頓ニ纜ヲ斬テ大荒ニ入レ。
長岡桃嶺房成
Shirasagi

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 10.23.2007 10:11 am

I can never forget the description of 雑誌 on that page. Arrrrrgh.

His comment on Shinjuku is asinine because surely it must occur to even the dimmest of bulbs that maybe a while ago, when that name was given to the place, there was a new hotel or something like that.
Last edited by Yudan Taiteki on Tue 10.23.2007 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby AJBryant » Tue 10.23.2007 1:29 pm

I'd love for such idiots to think about names like Torpenhow Hill, Basingstoke, and Newgate. "Gee, all the gates here are old!"

Frikkin' morons.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 10.23.2007 2:06 pm

Mike Cash wrote:

I append here the text of a post I made on usenet regarding the travelogue:

A woman with three huge boobs visited Japan. One of them wrote an
account of the trip:

did anyone by chance get the anme of her 3 friends?
two_heads_talking

Postby hungryhotei » Tue 10.23.2007 2:15 pm

Oracle wrote:
Food references aside, for me this is that passage that sums it all up (apparently this guy learnt 700 kanji, but no Japanese words before his trip)

I have a feeling that this guy was following the 'Heisig method'. :o
天気がいいから、散歩しましょう。
hungryhotei

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan