Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese culture topics?

Japanese culture topics?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Japanese culture topics?

Postby pubju » Sun 10.28.2007 2:27 pm

Hey,

We have to do a presentation for class about a particular area of Japanese culture. It's a 10 minute oral presentation in-front of about 60 students and 5 lecturers, so it needs to be good.

But we (me and my study partner) have a problem; we can't think of a good subject to talk about.

The problem is that you have to analyze rather than describe (e.g, you cant just say 'Geishas are entertainers, they play shamisen and dance!', you have to say WHY and HOW they are entertainers) - so it's proving very difficult to come up with a topic that is both interesting and has alot of information about it

So far we have relatively boring topics such as "How Japan was affected by America after the war" and "How the government shaped Kabuki". We would much prefer to do something that everyone is going to find interesting, rather than something about politics or war...

If anyone has any ideas, they will be greatly appreciated - because we are running out of time now and we still havn't found a discussion topic :(
pubju

RE: Japanese culture topics?

Postby Noob » Sun 10.28.2007 2:43 pm

You could always do presentation about Manga/Anime. The japanese seem to take it pretty seriously. Here in the western part of the world, many see it as just comics and cartoons, but anyone who has done any research knows differently.
Just a thought.

がんばって行きなす :D
Noob

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 10.28.2007 2:59 pm

All you have to do is live in Japan for one month to dispel this "Japan takes anime/manga seriously" myth. It's considered trash, just like in the US.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby doinkies » Sun 10.28.2007 3:12 pm

What I've read is that while most anime is seen as something only for kids/creepy otaku, manga is seen as somewhat more respectable. But I suppose it depends on the manga.

It seems not a lot of people tend to read a lot of manga past their 20s or 30s.
あなたが好きだと言ったこの街並みが
今日も暮れてゆきます
広い空と遠くの山々 二人で歩いた街
夕日がきれいな街
-森高千里 「渡良瀬橋」
doinkies

Postby tanuki » Sun 10.28.2007 3:59 pm

"How Japan was affected by America after the war" seems to me like a very interesting topic, and it's got to do with much more than politics.

10 minutes won't suffice at all, though, to make an interesting analysis.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby stevie » Sun 10.28.2007 4:24 pm

I think every Japanese person I know has read manga at one point but doesn't anymore (interestingly enough, the age distribution is 20-30, and one 38-year-old), and none of them watch anime or find it interesting/appealing.

I think there is a whole lot of information about Geisha available to state how and why they were entertainers, certainly sufficient for a ten minute analysis. Likewise, whether anime is respected or not, it's still a part of the culture, same for video games - there's no reason why you can't use those areas, though perhaps they will be popular choices depending on the other people on your course. Hey, you could even talk about the otaku subculture if that's what you're into - where it came from, why it's there, how it's looked upon, the connotations of the word 'otaku' both within and outside of Japan. Or you could talk about Japanese music or cinema, the arts, sports, tea ceremonies, etc...

Ask yourself, if politics and war are boring, what would be more interesting? Then research and talk about it. Just gotta get started I think.
stevie

Postby Hatori » Sun 10.28.2007 5:55 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
All you have to do is live in Japan for one month to dispel this "Japan takes anime/manga seriously" myth. It's considered trash, just like in the US.

My dad would second your statement, Yudan!

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know, I'm friends with this Japanese exchange student and I showed her this website. Then when she saw your avatar she was like,"COOL!!"
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby pubju » Sun 10.28.2007 7:30 pm

I think most of the class is doing their presentations on manga...

We wanna do something abit different :P
pubju

Postby chikara » Sun 10.28.2007 7:52 pm

You could pick something a bit controversial like Japan and whaling. You could present Japan's argument for maintaining whaling and the anti-whaling lobby's argument against Japan's continued killing of whales for scientific research.

You don't need to take sides.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Igirisu_gaz » Sun 10.28.2007 9:53 pm

If you want to do something curreny why not do a piece on English education in Japan and the demise of Nova. If there are any Japanese teachers present they'll probably find it interesting.
何でやねん?
Igirisu_gaz

Postby Noob » Sun 10.28.2007 10:20 pm

Well, if that is the case, maybe you could do a piece on japanese music. It seems to have come a long way in the past 20 years. Jpop and Jrock seem to have a lot of western influence, but has made some serious strides lately.
Noob

Postby pubju » Mon 10.29.2007 2:46 am

Igirisu_gaz wrote:
If you want to do something curreny why not do a piece on English education in Japan and the demise of Nova. If there are any Japanese teachers present they'll probably find it interesting.

Arrrr, that's not really culture though :P

It's for our 'Background to Japan' class (culture class), so I think it has to be something more historical rather than recent events :(
pubju

Postby Takeo Saeki » Mon 10.29.2007 3:00 am

Why don't you do something on the samurai? I'm shocked nobody has mentioned that, yet; they were such a major part of Japan for such a long time.
Takeo Saeki

Postby Igirisu_gaz » Mon 10.29.2007 3:50 am

pubju wrote:
Igirisu_gaz wrote:

Arrrr, that's not really culture though :P

I'd disagree.

English conversation schools and emphasis upon English learning is a big part of current Japanese culture. Just because it isn't ancient or made out of lacquer doesn't mean it isn't a part of Japanese culture.

If you really want to trace the integration of English into Japanese culture you can go back til before the black sails turned up I dare say. Bringing it up to date where you can buy McEnglish lessons and every 4/5 T-shirts seen sport an English slogan.

But it's your presentation, do what your comfortable with ;) Just don't be the Nth person to go with "anime", "Samurai" or "sushi"
Last edited by Igirisu_gaz on Mon 10.29.2007 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
何でやねん?
Igirisu_gaz

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan