Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Courier flights and holiday Visas for Brits

Courier flights and holiday Visas for Brits

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Courier flights and holiday Visas for Brits

Postby pubju » Tue 10.30.2007 5:42 am

I've heard about courier flights that allow you to fly for an extremely discounted price, and all you have to do is give up some of your hand luggage space to store documents. Does anyone have any experience with this? I've checked British Airways' website, and it says they do courier flights to Tokyo, but it says I need to obtain a Japanese Visa. I was under the impression that, as a UK passport holder, I don't need a visa to visit Japan (if my stay is under 90 days)?

To be honest, these courier deals sound too good to be true... I've heard of people getting flights to Tokyo from London for as low as £250... RETURN!. Whats the catch? lol..
Last edited by pubju on Tue 10.30.2007 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
pubju

RE: Courier flights and holiday Visas for Brits

Postby Igirisu_gaz » Tue 10.30.2007 6:38 am

That's kind of interesting. Unfortunately I know nothing about the system, but have you checked to see if it specifies a Japanese "working" visa or not? As technically I guess you are going in a professional capacity. If so then you would need to obtain a working holiday visa or something to that effect.
何でやねん?
Igirisu_gaz

Postby pubju » Tue 10.30.2007 8:26 am

Hmmm, I don't think couriering (real word? O.o) on flights would be working since you only collect a package in England, and drop it off at customs in Japan, so you're not really working in Japan as such

I think.
pubju

Postby Igirisu_gaz » Tue 10.30.2007 8:43 am

Yeah it seems kind of pissy admittedly, but I wouldn't be amazed if as some form of technicality you were considered to be performing "illegal labour" by delivering a package in Japan at a companies request.
何でやねん?
Igirisu_gaz

Postby jenl » Tue 10.30.2007 9:50 am

You should probably check with the airline to see which visa is required. (Or one may only be required in some situations - they may have meant "you must have a visa if one is required", because no doubt some people taking courier flights out of London are not British passport holders)

From what I can find out - only one courier seat per flight, you have to book well in advance, there are no refunds, you must dress neatly and speak good English. You will probably have to courier both ways. It seems like you must leave from Heathrow, as well, and I detest Heathrow.

However, if you are traveling alone and are flexible with your dates it could work out quite well. :) Good luck!
jenl

Postby pubju » Tue 10.30.2007 1:54 pm

Well I was kinda hoping to get a courier flight at the start of summer and spend the summer in Japan, then fly back home just in time for the start of uni :D
pubju

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan