Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Otsuka Ai

Otsuka Ai

Discuss Japanese movies and music.

Otsuka Ai

Postby Noob » Tue 10.30.2007 5:58 pm

Not sure if this is the right forum or not. so please move it if i am wrong.
First off, let me say that i really like her style. She can go from slow and serious, to upbeat and fun in a matter of minutes. However, this is not what i wish to discuss.
My problem is with Daisuki Da yo.
I saw a translated video, that labled it as "I love you, ya know!" Looking at it, i don't see the connection. I assume (and maybe thats where i messed up) that "da" is the informal form of "desu" and "yo" is there to give it more meaning.
So, looking at it like this, i read it more as " It's Love". Am i totally off base here?
Noob

RE: Otsuka Ai

Postby Near » Tue 10.30.2007 6:08 pm

You're correct in saying that yo adds weight to a statement's meaning, but I've usually seen it translated as "you know?". This reinforces the idea that the speaker believes he is making a true statement.

http://thejapanesepage.com/lessons/chapter3.htm

That page explains its usage briefly, which might hopefully make it more clear than my explanation.
- Kenton
Near

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Tue 10.30.2007 6:13 pm

Hm... I wouldn't translate the 'yo' as 'you know' since it's kinda more serious, especially when you listen to the song.

And with the rest... well, I like 'I love you' just because it fits in with the song more, I think. Without the song I could be either 'it's love' or 'I love you,' but within the context of the song I've always thought of it as 'I love you.'

I'm a huge Otsuka Ai fan too. Planetarium and Peach were the bests, but Daisuki da yo and Sakuranbo were awesome too, along with many others ^_^
Last edited by prep_girl_Nessa on Tue 10.30.2007 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby chikara » Tue 10.30.2007 6:18 pm

As Near-san said it adds weight to a statement's meaning. I think of yo as a spoken exclamation mark in the same way that ka can be thought of as a spoken question mark.

よ (prt) (sentence end) indicates request, certainty, contempt, etc.;

From Tae Kim's site;

The 「よ」 gobi
When 「よ」 is attached to the end of a sentence, it means that the speaker is informing the listener of something new. In English, we might say this with a, "You know..." such as the sentence, "You know, I'm actually a genius."

I personally don't translate it as "you know" because that is a construct I don't use when speaking English :)

Edit: fix some typos
Last edited by chikara on Tue 10.30.2007 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Noob » Tue 10.30.2007 6:33 pm

I see why it can be taken in different ways. Context has to be the deciding factor i guess. thanks for the replies. After seeing the video, it's pretty sad, so i can see why "yo" might be used in the "ya know" context ... sort of in despair. I don't know what she is saying, but she cries, so i imagine its more of a sad "ya know" than anything.

Oh, and prep girl .. don't forget about Heart, Cherish, and Yumekui. :)

i have a link to a bunch of her videos, so PM me if you want it. I can't be certain about copyright laws and such, so i won't post it.
Noob

Postby AJBryant » Tue 10.30.2007 9:34 pm

That's exactly the issue. Context. What is the situation, how is the character saying it, to whom is it being said, how is it being received, etc...

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Tue 10.30.2007 9:45 pm

O~h, Yumekui, good song.

Yeah, I have a lot of her videos too, I love her during interviews. She's so innocent xD
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby chiisu321 » Sun 01.27.2008 2:38 am

pretaining to the sentence, this is what i was taught.

"da" is the informal term for "desu". they mean exactly the same thing of course, but there are times when da would be inappropriate. Anyways, to end a sentence with da makes a very harsh sound. When you use only da, it makes the sentence very serious and firm, but can sometimes be threatening. so "yo" is put at the end to make it sound less stressed/exclaimed. This was the explaination given to me by my first japanese instructor who was spending the year in america. She is from tokyo.

as for meaning "you know" it can in some instences translate that way (according to books) but with my experience talking, i have not really used it in this way, nor have i heard it used for this purpose.

Within the song, i doubt that is the proper translation, but rather a literal dictionary-ish translation.
Last edited by chiisu321 on Sun 01.27.2008 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
chiisu321

Return to Japanese Movies and Music