Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Which First

Which First

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Which First

Postby Danworth » Mon 09.26.2005 12:52 pm

I have been learning Kanji but I just read I should learn Hiragana first so what is it

P.S. So do I even need to learn Katakana?
Danworth

RE: Which First

Postby Mariya » Mon 09.26.2005 12:58 pm

Yes. Both these are essential, and much easier to learn than Kanji. Try looking for an introduction to the language, since it is basic knowledge that these two should come first. :)
Try the Hiragana & Katanaka link to the left.
Mariya

Postby Danworth » Mon 09.26.2005 1:12 pm

thank you

i though you had to know kanji to read but now everyone i see typeing types and something different i am guessing hiragana

thank you!
Danworth

Postby Danworth » Mon 09.26.2005 1:18 pm

ok wait i am looking at it and am confused lol kanji is easier i think i messed up trying to learn kanji first. :(

So there are only like 12 different hiragana i clicked on there link and looked at the lessons and am alittle lost
Danworth

Postby Supergrunch » Mon 09.26.2005 1:21 pm

Actually, there are 46, and I can't see how you'd think Kanji would be easier (not to put you off learning them).
Supergrunch

Postby mandolin » Mon 09.26.2005 6:40 pm

hiragana and katakana are phonetic, like alphabet letters in english and other roman-based languages. This is why hiragana and katakana are easier to learn than kanji.

Kanji will take a lot longer to learn because there are so many. That's the 'hard' part in my opinion, the sheer number of them (1945 -essential- kanji, 3000+ in mostly every day use, and even more than that if you count ALL the possible kanji).

Reading japanese consists of using all 3, kanji, hiragana, and katakana. Kanji is like... a picture-word. But they can be written out in kana (hiragana/katakana) as well. Sort of like showing a picture of a dog and writing d-o-g under it. :)

But... yeah. Tackle the Hiragana and Katakana first. It'll help you get to know basic japanese sounds.
mandolin

Postby Danworth » Mon 09.26.2005 10:56 pm

Ok thank yall..

Sorry but.... One more thing when saying hiragana do we pronounce it like english example. no do we say it like english n-o are do they pronounce the letter different because what i have learned i can say it but when i hear other people (Japanese people) say it i can't reconize(sorry if mispelled) it.

And thanks once more.
Danworth

Postby Danworth » Mon 09.26.2005 11:30 pm

ok i gave a bad example what about hito would i say that as he-to or hi-to i don't know if that helps you understand what i am asking.

Thanks
Danworth

Postby mandolin » Tue 09.27.2005 1:49 am

unlike in english, the japanese vowel sounds are always the same.

Actually, there's sort of an exception but you don't need to know that quite yet. :)

The vowel order in japanese is a-i-u-e-o.

They are pronounced ahh-ee-oooh-eh-oh

so, hito would be like hee-toe (except lots shorter than you might pronounce that in english

I'd practice saying the vowels over and over till it feels natural, and also in the typical order. It just helps with the memorization and separating it from english vowel sounds. aeiou is english, aiueo is japanese. :)

ah-ee-oo-eh-oh.... ah-ee-oo-eh-oh... :p

As for japanese 'no' it sounds exactly the same as english. It was the first hiragana I could recognize on the spot thanks to a manga called "Usagi no Jimbo".
mandolin

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 09.27.2005 2:54 am

Usually the front of dictionaries of phrase books will have a pronunciation guide (not just romaji). I recommend picking up a dictionary of some sort if you're looking to really get into Japanese.

I got this explanation from a random site I found on google. I'm editing their explanation of u, because I think it sucks.

http://www.cs.mun.ca/~anime/afs/kana.html
Each symbol is a syllable, and each syllable in a word is given equal time (roughly). Thus "okii" ("big") is three syllables o-ki-i.

One major difference is 'r'. The sound written in romaji as 'r' is actually about halfway between 'r' and 'l'.

For vowels
'a' is like 'a' in 'father'
'i' is like 'ee' in 'keep' or 'geek', but a little shorter
'u' is like 'oo' in poot, or the 'o' in who
'e' is like 'a' in 'say', or like 'e' in 'eh'
'o' is like 'o' in 'go', but shorter.

Actually, now that I look at the page, this is the only thing you should look at, as the rest of the page is riddled with mistakes.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Danworth » Tue 09.27.2005 8:38 am

Thank you all for your help and one last question :)

I am learning to write with just a pencil but someone told me that most Japanese will not understand it because I’m not writing with one of those special pens, and I can't show or its really hard to write the letters with different thickness. Is this true or not?

P.S. I am sorry if I have just made a complete idiot of my self.
Danworth

Postby Ongakuka » Tue 09.27.2005 9:06 am

No, as long as you write clearly, Japanese people will be able to understand, pen or pencil.
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby Daichi » Tue 09.27.2005 10:26 am

Danworth wrote:
....someone told me that most Japanese will not understand it because I’m not writing with one of those special pens....

Who told you that? I think someone was someone was trying to wind you up!:D
Daichi

Postby Supergrunch » Tue 09.27.2005 12:25 pm

I find that most Japanese pronounciation guides on the web are orientated around American pronounciation, eg. "'a' is like 'a' in 'father'".

To someone who speaks with "BBC English", this is completely wrong.
Supergrunch

Postby Danworth » Tue 09.27.2005 12:33 pm

Thank you all you have been so kind to me :D.

*sniff* I told myself I wouldn't cry *sniff*

lol but really thanks.
Danworth

Next

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems