Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Least favo(u)rite/fluent construction

Least favo(u)rite/fluent construction

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Least favo(u)rite/fluent construction

Postby leergierig » Mon 11.05.2007 1:50 pm

Hi everybody.

I'm probably too curious again for my own good, but at least the cat in katafei's avatar will understand... I was wondering what everyone's least favorite/most difficult spoken Japanese grammar construction is. It does not specifically have to be a common spoken construction - if it's difficult to read aloud, please write it here.

At the moment I'm struggling with なければなりません, but only in cases where it follows a verb ending with う. For example 払わなければなりません。 I can write it easily enough, but processing it in real time results in something like this:
払うぅぅ。。。払わぁぁ。。。払わない。。。 。。。 。。。 払わなければなりません。 :@

Which grammar point causes you the most grief?

Edit: changed "difficult to read" to "difficult to read aloud" - there is a difference...
Last edited by leergierig on Mon 11.05.2007 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leergierig

RE: Least favo(u)rite/fluent construction

Postby EvanT » Mon 11.05.2007 5:49 pm

Well... I still twist my tongue every now and then when I try to say あたたかかった, though not as often as I used to when I started learning Japanese a year ago :P
EvanT

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Mon 11.05.2007 6:07 pm

Hm... nothing really comes to mind. I think when I find something difficult, I'll just practice it 1000 times and make it come quicker, so after a while it's not such a big deal anymore.

Although, yeah, う verbs are slightly weird, I know what you mean.
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby chikara » Mon 11.05.2007 6:26 pm

I used to have trouble getting out the past negative for of i-adjectives. For example;

難しくなかった

For some reason I found this construct to be quite a tongue twister and one that, for some reason, always reminded me of the mini series "Roots" :)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 11.05.2007 7:59 pm

I hate 〜てならない because it's a positive grammatical construction even though it looks like it should be negative.

大学に入ってから、娘は毎日が楽しくてならないらしい。
Ever since my daughter went to college, it seems she's been having so much fun she can't stand it.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 11.05.2007 8:42 pm

とはいえ used to always make me have to stop and think about what's actually being said, but I think I've gotten better at it.

i.e. 彼の言ったことが分かったとはいえ、本当に納得できない。 (Even though I understand what he said, I just can't accept it.)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby NocturnalOcean » Mon 11.05.2007 9:03 pm

Harisenbon wrote:
I hate 〜てならない because it's a positive grammatical construction even though it looks like it should be negative.

大学に入ってから、娘は毎日が楽しくてならないらしい。
Ever since my daughter went to college, it seems she's been having so much fun she can't stand it.

What coincidence, I just had this in my grammar class, and I found it a bit difficult, and also to use it in the correct sentence, when we also learnt 2 other very similar constructions.

てならない
てたまらない
てしたがない

they pretty much convey the same thing, though they had small subtle nuances, and uses.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby Kuri » Tue 11.20.2007 4:40 am

You know, I never really liked かたがた. Why can't you just say を兼ねて

Hmm, I take that back. Everyone I know says を兼ねて.... but if they didn't! ^^;
Kuri

Return to Japanese General Discussion