Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - My hair - should I dye it?

My hair - should I dye it?

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

My hair - should I dye it?

Postby pubju » Sun 11.04.2007 9:15 am

My hair is so dull & crap! It's short and brown, but I don't know how to style it...

I would like to dye it permanently another color... something different like blue or green *shrug*

I bought some styling gel - but I don't really know what I'm doing, so it just turns out very messy and looks poor. Same with wax. I'm just not very good at styling my hair, plus I don't have alot of time in the morning because I usually wake up late and have to race to uni with only seconds to spare~

So basically my hair is flat all the time, which just looks boring... (I want to stand out!)

I'm up for styling it any way, any color, any style. I was thinking of dying it green or something, but I still wont be able to come up with a style!

Help! should I dye it?

what is a good style of short hair?
Last edited by pubju on Sun 11.04.2007 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
pubju

RE: My hair - should I dye it?

Postby Darken » Sun 11.04.2007 9:18 am

um... brown roots, green top... will look like a forest or something... you could even have a blue-grey flat streak down the middle for a lake
Darken

Postby Dehitay » Sun 11.04.2007 9:56 am

short and flat? How short is it? Usually short implies it will stand up more than lay flat. As for dying, I would first suggest bleaching it and letting it go blonde for a test. Even if that doesn't work out, bleaching it makes it easier to dye later.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Postby tanuki » Sun 11.04.2007 10:17 am

Dehitay wrote:
short and flat? How short is it? Usually short implies it will stand up more than lay flat.

Short for men is not the same as short for women.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby shoCk_x » Sun 11.04.2007 3:59 pm

Yeah, @OP are you female or male?
I've been wanting to do something cool with my hair as well. It's dark brown at the top of my head and really gradually (my hair's long) goes to a really shiny lightish brown. I've always just wanted to dye my hair black on the underside. Maybe you could do that. What shade of brown do you have?

As for styling, I've read a bunch of stuff about how it depends on how your face is shaped and whatnot. Some stuff might not look as good on you as it does on, for example, a friend, if you've got a different shaped face.
shoCk_x

Postby A_Storm » Sun 11.04.2007 4:06 pm

Dyeing your hair will add volume and that may help with your styling problem. Depending on how dark your hair is and the undertones you may have to strip it or you won't get a true green or blue. I recommend having it professionally lightened as it's very easy to damage hair.

My hair is very short and dry. I've found the best styling product is a shaping creme and a wide tooth comb. Try different brushes, you may be flattening your hair unintentionally.
A_Storm

Postby Wakannai » Sun 11.04.2007 4:31 pm

Short for women looks great. I love shenead oconner, and how chinese nuns will shave their head. It looks great.

Bobs also look great. Shows off a girl's neck and ears.

The problem with dying is the high maintanence costs. It is very unattractive to see a woman with false blond hair and about an inch of dark hair at her roots.

Just don't feather your hair. Every time I see a girl go to a stylist, the stylist feathers her hair and does everything to add body. But with body, a little bit goes a long way. Better too little than too much.
It's dark brown at the top of my head and really gradually (my hair's long) goes to a really shiny lightish brown.

Staying out of the sun will solve that problem.
Wakannai

Postby shoCk_x » Sun 11.04.2007 8:34 pm

Wakannai wrote:
It's dark brown at the top of my head and really gradually (my hair's long) goes to a really shiny lightish brown.

Staying out of the sun will solve that problem.

I don't have a problem with it being a little lighter on the bottom. A lot of people seem to like it. I rarely go into the sun anyway.
shoCk_x

Postby HeyItsMatt » Sun 11.04.2007 11:03 pm

Wakannai wrote:
Short for women looks great. I love shenead oconner, and how chinese nuns will shave their head. It looks great.

Bobs also look great. Shows off a girl's neck and ears.

The problem with dying is the high maintanence costs. It is very unattractive to see a woman with false blond hair and about an inch of dark hair at her roots.

Haha, wow. Your taste in hair is almost the opposite of mine. I don't like Sinead O'Connor's hair (not that being bald makes a woman less pretty, but, well, for me it's like there's something missing. Hmmm...)

I also don't like bobs. Somehow it comes off as kind of stodgy and conservative looking to me... like librarian hair or something. My favorite style is longish, straight hair, although any healthy-looking hair is nice. I also kind of like the dyed blonde / dark roots for some weird reason.

To the OP - if you ARE going to dye your hair, I say do it in a crazy unnatural color. I've never dyed my hair before, but if I ever decided to try it out, I would pick a bright green or blue. I figure, why make your hair another color if it's just another natural color? You might as well go all out!
-Matt
HeyItsMatt

Postby noviceAnimeFreak » Sun 11.04.2007 11:33 pm

check out youtube.... there's some styling hair vid...shows how to style ur hair using hair gel and stuff....step by step guide...internet has everything nowadays...

if your a girl, myb can just add colourful hairclips, those cutes ones......or myb just add highlights...blonde highlights.....

if your a guy style it like the japanese guys do...again there's vids at utube on japanese hairstyle....

how bout purple cos blue and green are common currently....some colour not many has tried.....

last suggestion put on a cap or fedora..stylish ones..
noviceAnimeFreak

Postby Dehitay » Mon 11.05.2007 2:35 pm

tanuki wrote:
Dehitay wrote:
short and flat? How short is it? Usually short implies it will stand up more than lay flat.

Short for men is not the same as short for women.

Didn't even cross my mind though now that I think about it, it makes a lot more sense.

If you are female, I personally think ponytails are the greatest. Sadly, the pinching apparently damages the hair and I don't get to see them much outside of the rec center.

If you're male, a buzz cut will solve any flatness problem

I really wish there was a gender and age indicator next to post count and location
Dehitay

Postby tōkai devotee » Mon 11.05.2007 5:11 pm

Shouldn't this thread go the same way as queshaw's persimmon one? I mean who's really interested in anyone's hairstyle?
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Postby Dehitay » Mon 11.05.2007 5:25 pm

tokai devotee wrote:
Shouldn't this thread go the same way as queshaw's persimmon one? I mean who's really interested in anyone's hairstyle?

around 7 people so far, though I didn't actually count

There's a difference in that the OP here actually opened up a topic for conversation. The persimmon thread was a close ended statement that's better suited for the shoutbox
Last edited by Dehitay on Mon 11.05.2007 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dehitay

Postby pubju » Tue 11.06.2007 7:39 am

tokai devotee wrote:
I mean who's really interested in anyone's hairstyle?

Nobody, thats why theres no replies :D!

... Oh wait.
pubju

Postby coco » Tue 11.06.2007 10:52 am

tokai devotee wrote:

My assumption.
1) My socks smell awful.
2) My socks smell awful. How about yours?
3) My socks smell awful. What should I do?

It seems that 2 and 3 are safe. However I guess some people will reply to post 1.
e.g. "How awful? You can't imagine how extreme mine are!"
:p
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Next

Return to General off topic