Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Intercity travel in Japan

Intercity travel in Japan

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Intercity travel in Japan

Postby colind » Fri 11.02.2007 11:12 am

駅すぱあと(not updated) tells me that Shinjuku to Nagoya takes about 6 hours and Nagoya to Osaka takes about 2 hours 45 mins.
I used the Seishun 18 Kippu to travel around Japan, its very good if you don't mind the long train rides. (Make sure you have a good book, iPod or PSP/DS)
As for the period, according to the JR site its 10th of December till the 20th of January.
JR Site about Seishun 18 Kippu (in Japanese)
Last edited by colind on Fri 11.02.2007 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
colind

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 11.02.2007 3:13 pm

ess_jay_arr wrote:

I realise it's going to be slower taking rapid and local trains, but I'm actually gonna be in Japan for eight weeks, so I don't really mind if I lose a few days on the train. :P

you will actually be able to enjoy some great scenery that way. and you will have the opportunity to interact with tons of people too. especially when you get into "inaka" areas ..
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby ess_jay_arr » Fri 11.02.2007 11:46 pm

Thanks colind, that was just what I wanted to know. :)

two_heads_talking wrote:
you will have the opportunity to interact with tons of people too. especially when you get into "inaka" areas ..

I hadn't thought of that. :P I had enough people staring at me when I went to Tokyo (I swear one girl took a picture of me when she thought I wasn't looking!), I guess us whiteys are a real novelty out in the countryside! :D
ess_jay_arr

Postby succubus » Sun 11.11.2007 10:50 pm

Another option you can take is the overnight bus - it's kinda uncomfortable, but it's one of the cheaper ways to go. They generally go between all the big cities on the main islands. Plus, you get on the bus, go to sleep (if you can), and when you wake up, you've reached your destination! :)
succubus

Postby Oyaji » Mon 11.12.2007 12:21 pm

I second the bus as an option. Look here.

I've never used one myself, but I had a friend who used to regularly take the bus from Fukuoka to Tokyo (14 hours). He'd board in the evening, and arrive the next morning. He said the seats are quite comfortable, and have a curtain for privacy.

Of course you don't get to enjoy the scenery much.
Oyaji

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 11.12.2007 12:57 pm

ess_jay_arr wrote:

I hadn't thought of that. :P I had enough people staring at me when I went to Tokyo (I swear one girl took a picture of me when she thought I wasn't looking!), I guess us whiteys are a real novelty out in the countryside! :D

I actually enjoyed the interaction on the trains when I would travel from Sendai to Aomori, or Sakata, or Oodate. Or from Oodate to aizuwakamatsu, or, well you get the idea. 2 or 3 train cars, maybe 15 people total. the scenery is awesome no matter what season. Yeah, you do get a few people that find you peculiar, but if you can converse in Japanese, you can really have a good time, talking with them and asking them questions.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby caroline » Mon 11.12.2007 2:52 pm

Yeah, you do get a few people that find you peculiar, but if you can converse in Japanese, you can really have a good time, talking with them and asking them questions.

Never mind being looked at, as I've always found the interaction is indeed far more interesting than disturbing, even with what is still a very limited fluency - well, maybe not between Asahikawa and Wakanai, but that was an exception -. And if you don't like to stand out, why the heck go to a country were you have a good chance to stand out....

I guess us whiteys are a real novelty out in the countryside!

Far less now than it was some years ago, there are/have been quite a lot of caucasians around. I remember 20 years ago as quite different in remote locations than it is now : but it was nearly never unpleasant... and has not become so.

So by all means, don't bury yourself in your book and ipod...
caroline

Native language: Français

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan