Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Any other languages?

Any other languages?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

RE: Any other languages?

Postby zxcjason » Tue 11.13.2007 5:41 am

Aritaurus, I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I'm fluent in both English and Catonese, although I can also read and write in Chinese (it's my first language). Other than Japanese, I'm casually learning Mandarin, mostly through TV.

I was travelling in China a while back and can sort of carry a conversation, though people probably find that I sound funny or something lol.

I'm not so sure if learning multiple languages at the same time is such a good idea. For a while I was trying to memorize the pronounication (pinyin) of words in Mandarin and I was mixing up the on yomi of some Japanese kanji, so I pretty much stopped any systematic studying of mandarin now.
zxcjason

Postby ajaxthegod50 » Tue 11.13.2007 7:57 am

hey! i'm new around here, but when i saw this thread i cudn't stop myself from coming in to say hello. by the way, i know 4 languages (including Japanese, which i'm currently learning).so keep on, keepin on! :)
ajaxthegod50

Postby Krysta » Tue 11.13.2007 1:31 pm

I only have Japanese and English in college now, but in high school I studied German and French too. And ofcourse I know Dutch.
Krysta

Postby kickflaw » Wed 11.14.2007 3:25 pm

I studied Latin in both high school and college, though I can't say I'm any good at it. Most of it just went in one ear and out the other. I noticed that a few people were complaining about the masculine/feminine/neutral nature of nouns in romance languages -- I found it difficult and strange at first too, but after a while I got to wondering why certain genders were assigned to a certain words:

Ex. Why is "boat" feminine (at least in Latin)?

And then I'd make up some reason why that noun got that gender:

Ex: Sailors were always men, and they liked having any female presence around!

Believe it or not, this system never failed me. >shrug< Just another kind of mnemonic, I guess.
[center][small]What does man love more than life
Fear more than death or mortal strife
What the poor have, the rich require,
and what contented men desire,
What the miser spends and the spendthrift saves
And all men carry to their graves?[/small][/center]
kickflaw

Postby luky » Wed 11.21.2007 12:17 am

it took me 11 years to speak english fluently. that's about it.
luky

Postby TrashTreasurer » Wed 11.21.2007 1:53 am

Native english speaker, Took French in 7th-12th grade and absorbed the language like a sponge because for some reason I loved it a whole lot, and visiting Paris for a month really really helped bring it all together once using the french language became a necessity...I'd say I'm fluent in French.

Right now all I'm concerned about hopefully making Japanese my third language, even though it's a whole different creature than any other language I've looked into.
I want a clever signature, but I spent all my time trying to come up with a clever post!
TrashTreasurer

Postby kitamichibi » Wed 11.21.2007 7:57 am

Well, I know/learned French and English (of course) and I'm learning Japanese, I want to start German soon but the whole pronunciation thing is rather tongue-biting to me...

(I could've sworn that I'd replied to this thread before....hmmm.... ;))
Last edited by kitamichibi on Wed 11.21.2007 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
私は弱虫です[わたしはよわむしです]
kitamichibi

Postby SinoSamurai » Sat 01.12.2008 7:06 pm

three Chinese ,English and now Japanese :D
吾人之魂,古今神勇志士!
中華之魂,乃中華武士道也!
日本武士道之源泉,南宋之武士,
文天祥:人生自古誰無死,留取丹心照汗青!
發揚中華武士道精神,做一名兼具傳統與現代的武士。
東方武士道精神永垂不朽!
改變我一生的電影:《最後的武士》
SinoSamurai

Postby furrykef » Sat 01.12.2008 7:52 pm

I'm comfortable enough with Spanish that I could say that I "speak" it, but only in writing. I still cannot watch TV in Spanish, nor can I easily understand my Puerto Rican neighbor (in either English or Spanish!) But I could easily handle a conversation here in Spanish, for example. I do intend to learn it to fluency, but perhaps not to the point that it's just like English to me. I don't know how far I'm going to take it yet. My Spanish will probably be light-years beyond my Japanese for a few years to come, though.

I'm also studying Latin here and there -- mostly I just intend to get through Wheelock's Latin -- and I intend to learn Lojban, an artificial language that I find fascinating. In the future I will probably learn some Italian, German, Portuguese, Korean, Chinese, and/or maybe even Finnish... I love languages. But I do know I have limits and currently only intend to take Spanish and Japanese to any kind of native-like fluency. I'll only worry about taking other languages to fluency when, indeed if, I ever reach that point.

- Kef
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby everdream » Sat 01.12.2008 8:14 pm

In High school, I am learning both French and German.
I plan to drop German next year (Finally!)
And take my GCSE in French.
I might move on to French A level afterwards, which would bring me up to being able to use the language in a variety of context, conversations ect ect., and would also give me the ability to take a degree at university in it if I so please.
We grow too soon old and too late smart. - Steve Wright

'Know thyself?' If I knew myself, I'd run away. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.
- Joe E. Lewis
everdream

Postby kuroi » Sun 01.13.2008 5:52 am

Fluent in English... I studied Spanish for 3-4 years at school, dropped it this year, so I can only remember a few things. :)
I'm probably better in Japanese than I am in Spanish. =P That's a fact, actually. ^_^
I don't plan to pick up any other language until I'm satisfied with my Japanese, I might do a little Chinese... who knows.
「諦めない」−浜崎あゆみ
kuroi

Postby Algoze » Sun 01.13.2008 8:30 am

I know norwegian and portuguese fluently and I know of course english.
I am taking French class and studying japanese.
Algoze

Postby Unique » Mon 01.14.2008 5:03 pm

I started with Spanish. It would be nice and useful to know since there are tons of Spanish speakers in my area now. But, for some reason I don't like the language very much. I'm not sure why that is. I still practice the bit I know with a few co-workers. But, I don't study as much as I did when I was in high school, which was 7 years ago (wow, I feel old...)
I can resist anything but temptation
Unique

Postby idontknowmyself » Tue 01.15.2008 5:01 am

I speak Finnish, Swedish and English fluently (well maybe not the English but close to), and study German and Japanese..

I've studied Spanish, French, Russian and Chinese but I it wasn't that.. well.. I don't know.. It was too many languages so to say..

Would like to start the Chinese studies again, and Vietnamese could be interesting.. I have a huge interest in Swahili too..
idontknowmyself

Postby Adriano » Tue 01.15.2008 9:51 am

my mother tongue is portuguese, learned spanish with my ex-girlfriend, italian with parents from milano and trying english XD
Adriano

Skype chat: adrianojapan2008
Native language: Portuguese

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese General Discussion