Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Level 2 reading comprehension - advice please!

Level 2 reading comprehension - advice please!

The test - experiences, questions or comments

Level 2 reading comprehension - advice please!

Postby Bucko » Wed 11.14.2007 10:07 am

So I'm fine with the level 2 kanji, vocab, and listening, but the reading comprehension questions here are doing my head in. Anyone got any advice on how to tackle these ones considering that the test is like 2 weeks away? Is it just a matter of read, read, read?
Bucko

RE: Level 2 reading comprehension - advice please!

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 11.14.2007 12:02 pm

Unfortunately I don't think you can cram for the reading comprehension section. For level 2 and level 1, there's a certain base level of reading comprehension and speed that you need before studying for the test will do you any good. Although, the level 2 pass rate is only 60% so you may be able to do it anyway.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 11.14.2007 12:25 pm

CRAMMING for the level 2 test is like trying to eat a hoagie sandwhich in one bite. you might be able to do it, but it won't be pretty.

practice, practical use, more practice, etc. there is no easy way.
two_heads_talking

Postby enji » Wed 11.14.2007 12:54 pm

Yikes, that's what I have been doing for level 2, cramming. Partly because I started preparing for it very late. So far my main problem is vocab and kanji pronunciation, which indirectly affect my listening.

For reading comprehension, I guess you have no choice but to read more? Try to grasp the flow between phrases and also between sentences. Sometimes I need multiple readings to get the meaning. In one way, the questions posed also help me to understand the text better.
言いたくても言えなくて
enji

Postby Bucko » Wed 11.14.2007 1:57 pm

Well I've been practicing for this test since last December so I'm not exactly cramming. I was hoping for replies more along the lines of "watch out for this", or "don't bother with the full meaning as long as you x and x" etc. You know, test tactics.

Thanks anyway guys.
Bucko

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 11.14.2007 2:24 pm

I don't advocate shortcuts.. for me it's either you know it or you don't. if you are guessing or skirting are you are really showing your comprehension level, or your level of luck? (not being condescending at all, just asking you to ask yourself that.)..
two_heads_talking

Postby Bucko » Wed 11.14.2007 5:03 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
I don't advocate shortcuts.. for me it's either you know it or you don't. if you are guessing or skirting are you are really showing your comprehension level, or your level of luck? (not being condescending at all, just asking you to ask yourself that.)..

Umm...yeah. If you read carefully you'll see that I'm not looking for shortcuts on learning Japanese, I'm looking for advice on test tactics and strategy for the reading comprehension secion of the JLPT level 2.

So anyway, back on topic. Does anyone have any advice on how to go about gunning the reading comp section on the JLPT 2?
Bucko

Postby Gundaetiapo » Wed 11.14.2007 9:51 pm

Unfortunately I don't think you can cram for the reading comprehension section. For level 2 and level 1, there's a certain base level of reading comprehension and speed that you need before studying for the test will do you any good. Although, the level 2 pass rate is only 60% so you may be able to do it anyway.

What do you recommend for quantity of material to read prior to taking JLPT 2?
Gundaetiapo

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 11.14.2007 10:27 pm

Bucko wrote:
So anyway, back on topic. Does anyone have any advice on how to go about gunning the reading comp section on the JLPT 2?

I think your question has pretty much been answered. Besides the normal tricks like scanning for information (if you have a question like "what color is Tom's dog" then look for color words or where they're talking about a dog), the only thing you can do to get ready for the reading section is to read.

As far as order goes, I suggest doing the short grammar questions first, then the short answer questions, then finally the long paragraphs (the opposite of the way they are in the book). That way if you get stuck on the long reading you've only missed 2-3 questions instead of missing the entirety of the Grammar section.

Personal antecdote:
My friend and I took 2級 together a few years ago. The previous year I, like most people, ran out of time in the reading section by a good bit. The next year I vowed I wouldn't do the same thing again, and just started reading books (reall books, not manga). When my friend and I took the test, he still had a good bit at left when time was called, but I had finished 10 minutes prior.

It's amazing how much a little reading can help your speed. ;)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 11.14.2007 11:10 pm

Gundaetiapo wrote:

What do you recommend for quantity of material to read prior to taking JLPT 2?

When you're talking about level 2 or level 1 of the JLPT, you're beyond the point where you can exactly quantify your progress in terms of number of kanji, number of hours, number of pages, etc. You basically need to read enough so that you can feel confident in reading a passage in Japanese with no dictionaries or other reference works, at a decent speed, and with comprehension. It's going to take each person a different amount of time to reach that point.

The best thing you can do to see if you're ready to take JLPT 2 is to get a test from a previous year and take it under real test conditions (i.e. no notes or books of any kind, and with the time limit). I think that should give you a fairly good indicator of how far you have to go and where you need to concentrate your studying efforts.

(This is a side note, but IMO if you have no specific reason to take the JLPT it's a waste of time and money.)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 11.15.2007 1:41 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
(This is a side note, but IMO if you have no specific reason to take the JLPT it's a waste of time and money.)

While I hate the JLPT with a passion (leveled tests, only once a year, no speaking), I do think that having a test date coming up is a good impetuous to get people to study. I know I usually study about 20 times as hard right before the JLPT compared to the entire rest of the year.

That's why I was planning on retaking the JLPT1 this year, but I missed the deadline. :/
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Shirasagi » Thu 11.15.2007 9:30 am

Procuring the application form for 1 kyuu and then forgetting to actually apply has become a yearly ritual for me.
Josh Reyer
------------
頓ニ纜ヲ斬テ大荒ニ入レ。
長岡桃嶺房成
Shirasagi

Postby spin13 » Thu 11.15.2007 1:23 pm

Shirasagi wrote:
Procuring the application form for 1 kyuu and then forgetting to actually apply has become a yearly ritual for me.

So does that count as a waste of 500 yen or a savings of 5500?

-Eric
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Postby James_dean » Sun 12.02.2007 3:38 am

well if u do all the reading sections from past papers it would be very good practice to know the format of the questions and type of questions. Also its important to know how much time you have to answer each question.

For example myself i realised that doing the grammar section first is best for me as i can complete that quickly and am not tired so can answer it better and leaves me more time for the actual reading section.

Apart from this best way to improve reading is actually reading some real japanese which can be any material...even just emails...
James_dean

Postby James_dean » Sun 12.02.2007 3:41 am

lol!. Don`t worry u are not alone in forgetting to apply......was a ritual i done until this year
James_dean

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test