Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Conversation Practice

Conversation Practice

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Conversation Practice

Postby CajunCoder » Wed 09.28.2005 1:06 am

Just a random thread for conversing... I don't see one already, so I decided to create one. Please write in romaji as well, so we newbies can read =p
Feel free to post anything random, on or off topic to the conversation.

I don't know a lot, so... I'll just do my best to start off :P

Konban wa!

Watashi wa katana o ai. Sushi wa tabemasu mo ai!
Anata wa nani ga ai ka?

What I meant to say is "Good evening. I like katanas. I also like to eat sushi. What do you like?". Im sure I got something wrong, though =P

And, to practice writing it in hiragana:

こんばんは!

わたしは かたなを あい。 すしは たべますも あい!
あなたは なにが あい か。
CajunCoder

RE: Conversation Practice

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 09.28.2005 2:01 am

前も言ったけど,日本語を勉強しようと頑張っている人がローマ字で書かない方がいいと思います。日本語で書きたい人が,まずひらがなとカタカナを習わないといけないと思います。ひらがなかカタカナでも分からなかったら,どうやって正しい日本語の文を書けるんだろう?

私の意見は厳しすぎるかもしれない。だが,どうしてみんなにローマ字が必要だと思われている?日本語の文書を書く気があったら,文字を習う気もあるはずだと思います。

And in Hiragana, for those who can't read kanji

まえも いったけど,にほんごを べんきょうしようと がんばっているひとが ローマじで かかないほうがいい とおもいます。 にほんごで かきたいひとが,まず ひらがなと カタカナを ならわないといけないと おもいます。ひらがなか カタカナでも わからなかったら,どうやって ただしい にほんごの ぶんを かけるんだろう?

わたしの いけんは きびしすぎる かもしれない。だが,どうしてみんなにローマじが ひつようだと おもわれている?にほんごの ぶんしょを かくきがあったら,もじを ならうきも あるはずだと おもいます。
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby CajunCoder » Wed 09.28.2005 4:06 am

This took me about an hour, and I dont know much more from when I started :P The only thing I can make out is that you don't like, or don't like me writing in romaji, and probably are suggesting I learn hiragana. Between manually decoding the text, and my *very* limited knowledge of the language... I couldn't make out much :P

Heres what I got:

Romaji...ish:
mae mo itsutakedo, nihongo o benkyoushiyorato ganhatsutei(o/wo)hito ga roomaji de kakanai horakaii toomoimasu. nihongo de kakitai hito ga, masu hiragana to katakana o nararenaitokenaii to omoimasu. hiragana ga katakana demo rekakana ga tsutara, dorayatsute tadashii nihongo no bun o kakeson daro?

My attempt at a direct translation (I intentionally left particles the same):
before also (learning?), japanese o study(shiyora{to}) ganhatsutei o person ga romaji de (kakanai = "don't write"?) horakaii toomoimasu. hiragana ga katakana whichever (reka/ga*kana*) ga (tsutara... at[su]tara = regretably) dorayatsute correct japanese no sentence o (kakeson = related to writing?) (daro = related to "is" in any way?)

As you can see, I quit before getting to the second paragraph, as it is 3AM and I am utterly exhausted... My brain has been turned to mush.
Last edited by CajunCoder on Wed 09.28.2005 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
CajunCoder

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 09.28.2005 4:24 am

I wasn't directing it at you, but rather people in general. I don:t want you to think that I have anything against you, or against anyone trying to learn Japanese, but I have a special hatred for romaji that knows few limits. ;) Mostly because I have to deal with my students trying to write english in Katakana all day. If you ever tried to read an english sentence written entirely in Katakana, you:d know how I feel. ;)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby sexylexi » Wed 09.28.2005 4:33 am

Well from reading your romaji, i can easily tell you don't know some rules and are mistaking some hiragana. You repeatadely mistook わ(wa) for れ(re) and you also mistook hiragana う(u) for katakana ra. Also u sometimes had ga instead of ka and ha instead of ba. Try to look closer for the ten-ten. And lastly the small っ(tsu) is not pronounced. It denotes a small pause and when written in romaji, repeates the consonant it precedes. So いったけど would be ittakedo not itsutakedo. Remember the small pause. itakedo has no pause while ittakedo does. It's right after the i. Just thought i could help somewhat. Gambatte!!
sexylexi

Postby natemb » Wed 09.28.2005 4:47 am

CanjunCoder, I agree with Harisenbon that it's best to learn hiragana early and not rely on romaji, but it looks like you're in the process of learning hiragana and just haven't finished yet, so I think romaji's ok to practice conversation skills in the meantime.

Back to the Japanese conversation. 1 tip: "Ai" means "love", I think, and the verb is usually written as "aishiteru" (あいしてる). For "I like", you should use すき (suki). So I think your first post would be better like this:

こんばんは!

わたしは かたなが すき です。 すしを たべることも すき です。
あなたは なにが すき ですか?

konban wa (or ha? this is why romaji is bad)

watashi wa katana ga suki desu. sushi wo taberukoto mo suki desu.
anata wa nani ga suki desuka?

and my answer:

わたしも すしが すきです。 にほんの ぶんかも とても すき です。 いま、にほんに すんでいますから、うれしい です。

watashi mo sushi ga suki desu. nihon no bunka mo suki desu. ima, nihon ni sundeimasu kara, ureshii desu.

I also like sushi. I like Japanese culture too. I'm happy because I live in Japan now.

Anyone please correct any errors I've made.
Last edited by natemb on Wed 09.28.2005 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
natemb

Postby sexylexi » Wed 09.28.2005 5:18 am

hmm i guess while im here i'll try to make a conversation. although i've never really tried putting a sentence together. I dont want to look up what i want to say because 1. it will take a while and 2. it will probably still be wrong XD. But o well here goes nothing. Ugh i would write in hiragana but i dont know how to. only thing i can think of is copying and pasting every single character but again that would take too long. so please excuse my romaji :@ Konban wa. Watashi wa nihongo o suki benkyoushite. Watashi mo suki taberu to hanaseru. Watashi wa manga to anime suki desu. LOL i dont know what to say and its probably all wrong but correct me anyways. I want to see how much of a fool i made myself :p
sexylexi

Postby Daichi » Wed 09.28.2005 7:31 am

Sexylexi, I understood what you said perfectly, but as a beginner I have no idea whether or not it's correct grammatically, (understanding verb forms is proving difficult). I do know, however, that it's not really necessary to repeat the use of watashi.

On another topic, may I take this opportunity to apologise sincerely to Harisenbon for my continued use of romaji. I'm not online at home, so I have to go to the library to use the Internet, where they don't have IME installed! (Although I have requested it).
Last edited by Daichi on Wed 09.28.2005 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daichi

Postby sexylexi » Wed 09.28.2005 3:02 pm

haha well at least i can be understood. ya i know u dont have to repeat watashi wa,(actually sounds really dumb hearing it over and over again) but im not sure if all u do is drop it or if something else changes. especially when you use "mo" so i just left it to be safe. Im still trying to figure out how to write in hiragana. Hopefully i'll figure it out soon. Gambatte!
sexylexi

Postby sexylexi » Wed 09.28.2005 3:24 pm

クソー I found out how to write in katakana but i still dont know how to write in hiragana :(
sexylexi

Postby kenpachi » Wed 09.28.2005 6:13 pm

I'm a beginner of course but I'm pretty sure putting the mo after watashi means something more like "you, in addition to other people" which i think is not what you were going for. I have no skill with this at all but wouldn't it be something more like 食べると話せるもすき。 taberu to hanaseru mo suki. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

私の夢は: ダブユーダブユーエフバーを食べたい!
kenpachi

Postby sexylexi » Wed 09.28.2005 6:27 pm

hahaha ya i meant to say i also like to eat and to speak. as in, something else that i like. not as in someone else likes that and i like it too. i guess the mo should come afterwards.
Doumo arigatou gozaimasu. Dou itashimashite! :D
sexylexi

Postby skrhgh3b » Wed 09.28.2005 6:49 pm

i think you should add furigana for any kanji you believe aren't well known by beginners (jlpt level 4-ish) in parentheses immedialtely following the kanji. that way, they won't be completely ignoring the kanji.

私達(わたしたち)は漢字(かんじ)が本当(ほんとう)に上手(じょうず)じゃないんですね。
we're not terribly good at kanji, are we?
Last edited by skrhgh3b on Wed 09.28.2005 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
♪夢も見たくない 幸せなんか要らない
恋もしたくない お金なんか要らない
ぼくに必要な眠りを眠らせておくれ♪
skrhgh3b

Postby sexylexi » Wed 09.28.2005 7:38 pm

Great idea!!! You're absolutely right, every time i see kanji i dont know, i simply ignore it. but now i can pronounce it!! :D:D:D:D Also how do u write in hiragana and kanji? i can only write in katakana and even then it takes forever to find the kana i want. They're not grouped in any way :@ sorry for being such a pest
Doumo arigatou gozaimasu. Dou itashimashite! :D
sexylexi

Postby Justin » Wed 09.28.2005 8:06 pm

skrhgh3b wrote:
i think you should add furigana for any kanji you believe aren't well known by beginners (jlpt level 4-ish) in parentheses immedialtely following the kanji. that way, they won't be completely ignoring the kanji.

For people that are having a hard time reading, why not just use something like http://www.popjisho.com throw in the URL of this thread, and call it good? That way people don't have to take the extra time to write out the reading for every Kanji, and by using that site, you can also just double click on words/kanji you don't know and you can start yourself a nice vocab list. That's just my .02 though.
Justin

Next

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)