Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese history book

Japanese history book

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Japanese history book

Postby Orcrist » Sat 11.17.2007 6:16 pm

I've made a quick search here on the forum, but didn't come up with anything informative.
I'm looking for a Japanese history book describing the entire history (I don't care much for the stone age, but it should cover round and about the last 2000 years atleast). I've found several books (all called "A history of Japan" - somehow it gave me the feeling that historians have very little imagination). However I was hoping someone here could make my choice a little easier by making a recommendation. If possible at all I'd like a book that's written a little.. "lively", not just listing facts and dates.
If anyone can recommend me a book, that'd be great!
Orcrist

Native language: Dutch

RE: Japanese history book

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Sat 11.17.2007 6:27 pm

1 book for the entire period 2000 years?? I think a book like that would have to be very big and even then it would only be able to be an overview.

I remember my AP US History course; America hasn't been around for all that long and the textbook we were using was pretty damn big >.<
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby Wakannai » Sat 11.17.2007 7:55 pm

(all called "A history of Japan" - somehow it gave me the feeling that historians have very little imagination)

Histories aren't supposed to be imaginative.
Wakannai

Postby ss » Sat 11.17.2007 10:10 pm

To me, a good history book has historical resources that include photographs, pictures, drawings, maps, diagrams and tables for you to visualise the historical experience, extract and interpret information. Working on these sources will help to sharpen the thinking skills and make interactive approach possible.

Facts and date are important in history and should remain genuine even if the facts are boring.
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby Hatori » Sat 11.17.2007 10:18 pm

Orcrist- Maybe if you were to get info from possibly 1500 B.C.- Modern Time would be good. :)

prep_girl_Nessa wrote:I remember my AP US History course; America hasn't been around for all that long and the textbook we were using was pretty damn big >.<

See, our history books basically have all pictures, large fonts, and lots of useless exercise pages we won't even bother to look at. But as SS states, there usually are a bunch of good things to help recreate the history. Most of the stuff in my history books that are not part of my central reading materials I skip. ;)
Right now I'm learning about Ancient China in my ancient civ class... It's okay, but not as cool as when I got China and Japan mixed up years ago. :p
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

Postby Orcrist » Sun 11.18.2007 5:22 am

Wakannai wrote:
(all called "A history of Japan" - somehow it gave me the feeling that historians have very little imagination)

Histories aren't supposed to be imaginative.

Actually, history _IS_ imagination. It stopped being reality the moment it became past, therefor one can only imagine it if one wants to experience it. But this is a whole other discussion, not even a point I was trying to make by making fun of the similar book titles. ;)

SS wrote:
To me, a good history book has historical resources that include photographs, pictures, drawings, maps, diagrams and tables for you to visualise the historical experience, extract and interpret information. Working on these sources will help to sharpen the thinking skills and make interactive approach possible.

Facts and date are important in history and should remain genuine even if the facts are boring.

I didn't ment to say that I was shy of facts and dates. Ofcourse there should be facts and dates, but not exclusively.
Like you said in your description of a decent book (which I agree with). Ergo this thread, there is more to a history book than just listing dates and facts.
Orcrist

Native language: Dutch

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan