Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - music.

music.

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: music.

Postby TrashTreasurer » Tue 11.20.2007 1:44 am

chikara wrote:There's Country music and then there's Country and Western music.

Yeah, that's a distinction I should have made before commenting on the genre as a whole. When I hear today's country music that's popular on the radio, it seems to be the same kind of pop you hear on mainstream radio stations but with steel lap guitar added in and lighthearted jokes about cheating on spouses and shopping at Wal-mart. Clearly this is in a different world than Hank Williams, Elvis Presley, and other artists that have some real musical and artistic merit.
I want a clever signature, but I spent all my time trying to come up with a clever post!
TrashTreasurer

Postby guitarplayer7694 » Tue 11.20.2007 1:46 am

Country, Country and Western what are the differences
guitarplayer7694

Postby saraLynne » Tue 11.20.2007 1:57 am

guitarplayer7694 wrote:
1:its not so much me that thinks country is for hicks its the general public,walk up to some one and say i like country you are kinda gonna be looked down upon

By who? Maybe your peers... but realize that -most- people grow out of that kind of crap. You're young yet, and i suppose peer groups are kind of important, but..... oi.

I dread my children becoming teenagers. :(

I shut myself out of a lot of personal interests in the name of trying to 'fit in' when I was in school. Only later do you realize that none of it mattered and I shoulda just done what I liked anyway. :P

guitarplayer7694 wrote:

Don't forget Gospel and New Country.

New Country is a lot like 80's pop minus the punk influence.

Country and Western is twangy, Country is the term for whatever falls between C&W and New Country. :P

Ever listened to Rascal Flats (country band). No twang to be found. :P
Last edited by saraLynne on Tue 11.20.2007 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
saraLynne

Postby chikara » Tue 11.20.2007 1:57 am

guitarplayer7694 wrote:

Country is more like pop rock. In this country we have local Country Music and then we have imported Country and Western Music. Those nasally twangs you don't like are Country and Western. The whole distinction is a bit blured though.

Personally, as far as Country Music goes, I like a lot of Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash and Elvis Presley's early work. But I don't like Dolly Parton or Kenny Rogers.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby guitarplayer7694 » Tue 11.20.2007 2:02 am

OK
1:I'm home schooled
2:i where there are no peers around(ie my neighbors are old people)
3:i could not care less what people think its just that you get a reputation and that effects other more important aspects of your life.
guitarplayer7694

Postby guitarplayer7694 » Tue 11.20.2007 2:04 am

i like johny cash (ring of fire) first heard it in a tony hawk game.i did not mention gosple due to the fact the rules said keep religion out of things.
guitarplayer7694

Postby chikara » Tue 11.20.2007 2:13 am

I don't believe that gospel music counts as religion ;)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby guitarplayer7694 » Tue 11.20.2007 2:16 am

yeah well one thing might have lead to another
guitarplayer7694

Postby saraLynne » Tue 11.20.2007 2:21 am

guitarplayer7694 wrote:
i could not care less what people think its just that you get a reputation and that effects other more important aspects of your life.

All I'm telling you is that the things you perceive to be very important and life changing aren't exactly top priority after adolescence.

You'll get a reputation for being a liar, or an honest person, or a bully, or a frequent volunteer for charity, etc. Those kinds of things follow you forever. The kind of music you like.... not so much.

All I'm saying is I hope you can realize sooner rather than later that there's more to life than sweating the little stuff.

.... then again, I never took adult's word for anything when I was your age, either. ^_^ Well... us moms are obligated to try to give children a better experience than they had. :P
saraLynne

Postby guitarplayer7694 » Tue 11.20.2007 2:28 am

i take adults words seriously lot more than i did my friends when i wasn't home schooled. yes i see the reason. adults are older and therefore more experienced than us (kinda cool i have this before Japanese introduction)and by important aspects of you life i mean jobs (kinda young for this i know but)you get the reputation as a bumpkin not as desirable a quality of an employee as other traits
guitarplayer7694

Postby TrashTreasurer » Tue 11.20.2007 2:42 am

On the other side of the coin, I think that it's such a gift for adolescents to be able to place things like fashion and musical taste so high up on the ladder of importance, and it still heavily defines who they are in the future. My mom still watches Dirty Dancing and movies like that, and I'm not sure if anyone outside of her generation (teenagers in the 80's) really cares about those movies or wants to see them more than once.

If and when I have kids, I'll never tell them "It's stupid that you care so much about what you wear or what you listen to", because it'll give them an opportunity to look back and remember the crazy and innocent time where that mattered, like we all do. I can't say I regret caring about stuff like that, and love that I can look back without regrets because I tried my hardest to look and feel as cool as I could, during a time where that mattered so much to me. And this is now rambling, I apologize. This is a music thread, right? Radiohead rules. lol
I want a clever signature, but I spent all my time trying to come up with a clever post!
TrashTreasurer

Postby guitarplayer7694 » Tue 11.20.2007 2:48 am

yeah i kinda got of topic.AC/DC best band ever,and with that i go to bed its 1am. :|
guitarplayer7694

Postby chikara » Tue 11.20.2007 3:32 am

guitarplayer7694 wrote:
... AC/DC best band ever ....

I don't know about the best band ever but I certainly don't mind some of their music. To think I used to be able to go and see acka dacka play gigs at a nearby pub.

It's a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll.......
chikara

Postby nabilahforever » Tue 11.20.2007 5:53 am

my favourite singer is yui.her songs are the best.i like japanese and korean songs very much.other songs that i like are orange range,utada hikaru especially her song,titled 'passion'.but the most i like is yui,s songs!some of her beautiful songs are 'goodbye days','i know','rolling star','ready to love','love and truth'and much more.to guitarplayer7694,this is a good idea.i like it very much! :)
Stop talking as if u know me..-YUI
nabilahforever

Postby katafei » Tue 11.20.2007 9:28 am

I don't particularly like rap, but i do like this tune:
bazooka
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

PreviousNext

Return to General off topic