Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Do Japanese people get excited when you speak their language

Do Japanese people get excited when you speak their language

Japanese, general discussion on the language

RE: Do Japanese people get excited when you speak their lang

Postby JaySee » Tue 11.20.2007 3:06 am

succubus wrote:
And nope, the same is very much not true about getting a Japanese boyfriend. You'll get the odd couple of guys who're excited to try out their English, but generally, Japanese men seem to be really intimidated by gaijin women. When I go out I get hit on by loads of Japanese men, who want to try out their English, but they disappear fairly shortly afterwards.

I can imagine that though, especially when the woman is on average a foot taller than most Japanese guys around her. I've had quite a lot of Japanese middle-aged people (men too) come up to me and just start blurting out random English scentences; for some reason if you're white in Japan you're expected by everyone to be able to speak English. The weirdest time was when I was on the train and some random guy came up to me and just started mentioning random country names, probably expecting me to keep saying 'no' until he hit the right one :|

In Korea I went to visit the royal palace in Seoul once, just when they had this school trip organised for some local primary school children. Korean primary school children are different from Japanese ones in the sense that instead of just waving to the foreigners they see, they're much less reserved and actually start talking/screaming at them. I wonder if the teachers actually encourage the children to practice their newly learnt English phrases on foreign people when they see them. Now I kind of know what it's like to be famous though, there really were a ton of school children there and I couldn't turn a corner without running the risk to have a group of them come up to me and start asking questions like 'hello, how are you doing' and 'where are you from?' en masse... I even had to shake hands. It was ok the first 2 or 3 times because the kids were kinda cute, but after that it got somewhat annoying :p
JaySee

Native language: Dutch

Postby StarvingMusician » Tue 11.20.2007 3:39 am

Getting a Japanese girlfriend is actually quite easy if youre white; I've always been surprised at how the ugliest white people seem to be able to get the hottest (though usually somewhat trashy) Japanese women. If you go to certain clubs that foreigners are known to go to, the Japanese women there can really be all over you. Though of course you'd have to be ok with the fact that they're only with you because you're white/speak English, and other than that don't really care about who you really are.

Oh heck yes! This is what I live for....Tch..this sucks. Man I don't like foreigners either, unless they happen to be a cute girl who's of legal age. >.> I need a friend to practice with :-)
"If we've only got one try, if we've only got one life. If time, was never on our side. Well before I die, I wanna burn out bright."
StarvingMusician

Postby Kuri » Tue 11.20.2007 4:32 am

JaySee wrote:
Getting a Japanese girlfriend is actually quite easy if youre white; I've always been surprised at how the ugliest white people seem to be able to get the hottest (though usually somewhat trashy) Japanese women. If you go to certain clubs that foreigners are known to go to, the Japanese women there can really be all over you. Though of course you'd have to be ok with the fact that they're only with you because you're white/speak English, and other than that don't really care about who you really are.

Wow, I couldn't ignore this.

So you're saying if I went to "certain clubs" where people like "me" are expected to go, the women there would be interested in me? Really!? And they might be putting value in something besides looks at those clubs?

I wonder if I was rich, and I went to clubs rich people were expected to go, could I get women at those clubs who like rich men?

What if I was Latino, and went to a Latin club... Do you think the women there would be interested in Latin men?

And more over, to who ever started this. If you are white, and looking to get a girlfriend of any race, just because she is that race... I'm sorry, I didn't need to say "if you are white" Let me rephrase

Anyone looking for a girlfriend or boyfriend based on their race, is a racist and needs therapy.
Kuri

Postby NocturnalOcean » Tue 11.20.2007 4:33 am

To say it is easy to get a japanese girlfriend is a plain stupid statement.
It might be easier to get a girlfriend if you look up foreign hungry girls are certain places. But then again it is also easier to get girlfriends in other countries too, if you look up certain girls at certain places.
The way you people present it, is like japanese girls are so slutty and easy to get, but I don't think that holds true. Just because you happen to know or have seen a foreing guy with a japanese girlfriend does not mean it is easy for any foreign guy to get a japanese girlfriend, even if it is a girl, who you so ignorantly describe above.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby Orcrist » Tue 11.20.2007 6:58 am

I think the point JaySee made was that it's easy to get a superficial Japanese girlfriend. And the keyword here is "white". If you're white, than it's easy to get a superficial Japanese girlfriend. If you happen to be asian, yet a foreigner, than it's not as easy to get a superficial Japanese girlfriend. Just as it's easy to get a superficial woman anywhere else, as long as you have that certain attribute they discriminate on. Since every society anywhere has it's fair share of superficial people one should not interpret the statement as if any Japanese girl would be "slutty and easy". It's merely a statement that the superficial women in that certain area of the world might be likely to discriminate on race/skin color.
That's what I read atleast. :p Also, I don't know about the actual situation, and wether or not these statements hold any truths. I haven't been there, I haven't read up about it. Just discussing interpretation here for a moment.

Anyone looking for a girlfriend or boyfriend based on their race, is a racist and needs therapy.

Yes, lets make nature politically correct! From now on the race that dates the least of the other races, is too racist and should be exterminated for being racist. Or wait..
It's perfectly fine to have an interest in a specific race. The majority of the world population will be most attracted to their very own race. Excisting is discriminating, and there is nothing wrong with that. Just because some forms of discrimination create a unhealthy social environment doesn't mean that discrimination itself is a bad phenomenom.
And it's perfectly fine for someone to have a preference for another race, perhaps even a specific race or a specific race living in a specific country having a certain nationality. If exotic looks is your turn on, so be it. If exotic looks, a specific culture, and a specific language get your fluids running, so be it.
Personally I don't give a crap about race. I discriminate merely on looks, character, intelligence, and interests when looking at women. It's not something I can control. And that's just looking for a potential love partner. When looking for a friend, an employee, a person to hate, my choice is based on other factors. If I'm looking for an employee to translate an english text into japanese for me I discriminate someone on the languages she/he speaks. Anyone that doesn't speak both japanese and english is out of the question to hire, does that make me a bad person? Do I need therapy for that?
Last edited by Orcrist on Tue 11.20.2007 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orcrist

Postby poppop » Tue 11.20.2007 8:23 am

i knew that it would come to this, haha... by the way, there's already a similar thread.
poppop

Native language: Swedish

Postby JaySee » Tue 11.20.2007 12:09 pm

Kuri wrote:
So you're saying if I went to "certain clubs" where people like "me" are expected to go, the women there would be interested in me? Really!? And they might be putting value in something besides looks at those clubs?

I'm not going into the anyone looking for a g/f or b/f based on a certain race is racist comment, as Orcrist pointed out we've had that discussion before, and it's kind of a pointless thing to discuss anyway.

Let my try to clarify some things. I did not say that Japanese women are slutty in general. All I'm saying is that there is a portion of the Japanese female population that has a special interest in foreigners because they're white or speak English... it's obviously not a very big portion, but it's undeniably there (I also did not say that Japan is unique in this way). They tend to go to clubs that are popular with foreigners just to try and hook up with one of them (I'm also not saying that all women that go to these kinds of clubs are like this). So should you want an 'easy' Japanese girlfriend and not care about personality at all then go there and you'll probably won't have a hard time finding someone there. Personally I'm not interested in such superficial 'relationships', but during the time I did ryuugaku in Japan I did know quite a few other foregn students who were, so I'm not just saying this based on things I heard but on actual experience as well.
Last edited by JaySee on Tue 11.20.2007 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JaySee

Postby Byakugan » Tue 11.20.2007 12:58 pm

You know this is all sort of depressing, I'm working hard to learn japanese only to find out they don't give a rats ass. Especially that thing about getting japanese girls, they'd rather you speak english... ugh :@
Byakugan

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 11.20.2007 1:41 pm

Byakugan wrote:
You know this is all sort of depressing, I'm working hard to learn japanese only to find out they don't give a rats ass. Especially that thing about getting japanese girls, they'd rather you speak english... ugh :@

I think the pretence of this thread has been lost on you.. either that or it just wizzed over your head. perhaps next time, you will endeavor to clearly read everything and then you make blanket statements that are clearly wrong. DOh!!
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Previous

Return to Japanese General Discussion