Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Which First

Which First

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

RE: Which First

Postby AaRoN » Tue 09.27.2005 12:42 pm

Supergrunch wrote:
I find that most Japanese pronounciation guides on the web are orientated around American pronounciation, eg. "'a' is like 'a' in 'father'".

To someone who speaks with "BBC English", this is completely wrong.

I noticed that too!!!!
Where i come from there is a very distinc dialect and it's almost a language on its own.....and whwre i go to school there is another differnt accent...and a whole new slang used out there lol
I don't understand.......Why can't i fly????
AaRoN

Postby Ongakuka » Tue 09.27.2005 2:18 pm

Apparently most people try to learn Hiragana and Katakana seperately, but I found it so much easier to learn them at the same time. They may be two completely differnt "alphabets," but to learn each syllable as having two "forms" makes this easier I think. Plus you cover them in a shorter space of time.
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby skrhgh3b » Tue 09.27.2005 2:37 pm

for pronunciation, you should follow the examples of native speakers as closely as possible. there are plenty of opportunities to hear "real" japanese, so you should be doing your best to seek them out, and as often as possible too. i once had a classmate from tokyo who had a flawless american accent. when i asked her how long she had lived in the states, i couldn't believe it was only a couple of years because she spoke so increadibly well. but that's because she used her ears and made the extra effort not to sound like the typical japanese speaker of english. this is eventually my goal as well. hey, if michael caine can fake a texas accent....
skrhgh3b

Postby Daichi » Wed 09.28.2005 6:35 am

Quite right skrhgh3b, with all the audio material available there is no need to rely on written pronunciation guides, which have major shortcomings when it comes to teaching people with different regional accents.

Now we just need some sort of guide telling us how to pronounce your username......
Daichi

Postby skrhgh3b » Wed 09.28.2005 4:48 pm

Daichi wrote:
Quite right skrhgh3b, with all the audio material available there is no need to rely on written pronunciation guides, which have major shortcomings when it comes to teaching people with different regional accents.

Now we just need some sort of guide telling us how to pronounce your username......

hahahah. sorry about that, mate. skrhgh3b is simply sakura high with all the vowels taken out and the two words squished together with 3b tacked on the end, which is a room number. it's a reference to the drama kinpachi sensei, which i was utterly addicted to in high school but barely remember nowadays.
skrhgh3b

Postby AaRoN » Wed 09.28.2005 4:57 pm

skrhgh3b wrote:
Daichi wrote:

hahahah. sorry about that, mate. skrhgh3b is simply sakura high with all the vowels taken out and the two words squished together with 3b tacked on the end, which is a room number. it's a reference to the drama kinpachi sensei, which i was utterly addicted to in high school but barely remember nowadays.

:o...i was pronouncing it like shuckhigheb B)
I don't understand.......Why can't i fly????
AaRoN

Postby Daichi » Thu 09.29.2005 6:50 am

skrhgh3b wrote:
skrhgh3b is simply sakura high with all the vowels taken out and the two words squished together with 3b tacked on the end, which is a room number.

Great, I can think of it as 'Sakura High' now, instead of 'Scrag 3 B'!
Daichi

Postby redfoxer » Thu 09.29.2005 8:17 am

lol wow, i never knew that, i kept thinking skrhgh3b sounded similar to scararabbbbb-3-B lol. and yes, unless u use a special red pen found in the remote forests of new zealand, japanese people cant read what you write. :p
日本語はとても面白いと思いますよ!私は日本語が大好きです!
redfoxer

Postby WacKostRacKo » Thu 09.29.2005 9:46 am

does it take you long to sign in? i keep forgetting mine, and its my email address!:D
tanuki wrote:
How about:

外人: これはすしです。すしが好きです。
日本人: おお!日本語が上手ですね。
外人: Erm....what?

story of my life...
WacKostRacKo

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 09.29.2005 6:46 pm

Skrhgh,

I always thought you were a skater, and you got some sort of high out of skating, or could ollie really high or something... *laugh*

千差万別ね!
Last edited by Harisenbon on Thu 09.29.2005 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby skrhgh3b » Thu 09.29.2005 10:39 pm

you people really are too vowel-dependent ;)
♪夢も見たくない 幸せなんか要らない
恋もしたくない お金なんか要らない
ぼくに必要な眠りを眠らせておくれ♪
skrhgh3b

Postby Harisenbon » Fri 09.30.2005 4:40 am

Well, we are on a japanese board, in which there is only one character that does not contain a vowel. ;)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby skrhgh3b » Fri 09.30.2005 2:28 pm

Harisenbon wrote:
Well, we are on a japanese board, in which there is only one character that does not contain a vowel. ;)

but do you really speak like, 「好・き・で・す」??? lol
even the japanese don't always have the time for vowels ;-)
♪夢も見たくない 幸せなんか要らない
恋もしたくない お金なんか要らない
ぼくに必要な眠りを眠らせておくれ♪
skrhgh3b

Previous

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems